Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work refusing to issue check

Options
  • 24-05-2009 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭

My girlfriend is having problems with her old work, she worked in a bar/nightclub. I've taken this into my hands as I hate nothing more when people try to take advantage of others who dont know their rights.

She was given her final check around 2 months ago as she no longer works there. The check bounced a few weeks later. We go back to her work and they say her check will be ready soon, all the other bartenders and barbacks' checks have bounced too. Eventually everything is sorted out at the bar and the staff are getting paid again, but they are now refusing to issue her her check.

They want her to present her VISA (which bizarrely they never asked for before), she no longer has this as she lost her passport with it inside. Her manager knows she lost it. If she shows it then she will get the check, an impossible task. Her manager told me that this is what head office has said to him, head office arent answering their phone at present. Also it has expired at the end of march if that makes any difference, she was not working when it expired nor is she working now

She never signed a contract so they "dont have to pay her if they dont want to" i sh!t you not, this is what her manager actually told me. I was never aware she didnt sign a contract, im hoping this should not be a problem. She was getting pay slips.

Why would they ask her to come in with her VISA if they dont have to pay her anyway? What will happen to her money (that she worked for)? I smell something's a bit off here.

I'm going to get in touch with citizens advice and see what they tell me. I'm hoping the threat of legal action will make them pay up.

So do they in fact not have to pay? Becase she never signed a contract? Does she have to present her VISA to get paid? I dont think she does need to but i need advice on this

This all makes me so mad as she left the job because her manager was acting innapproratiely towards her, now this same fcuker is blocking her from getting paid it seems??? :mad:

Advertisement