Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to stay alert

Options
  • 24-05-2009 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭

I am having problems studying at the moment. Can't keep concentration or stay alert. The thought of having to study for hours on end is putting me off- just can't seem to be able to do it. Anyone have any tips?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Dont have it in your head that you're going to study for hours. When i get up I hate the thoughts of being like "right, i HAVE to stay here for the next 4 or 5 hours"...instead, just decide to do a particular topic for half an hour or 40 minutes, maybe the length of a class seeing as you'd be used to concentrating on 1 particular subject for this length of time.
    I find that if i do this, i spend longer than I thought i would at it, mainly just cos i managed to get started in the first place. Even if you stop after the 40mins, at least thats something done!

Ive found a new way to keep concentration, dunno though, i doubt anyone else would find any benefit in it! Ive always found that i study better at night, i dont know what it is, but im restless studying during the day. What i do now tho, is close the curtains in the room im studying! I must be tricking myself into thinking its night time, but it works :P and helps the concentration, cos i cant stare out at the sunshine! :D

No idea if thats any help, looks like a loada rambling, but if you just get started bit by bit hopefully itl get easier :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Dont have it in your head that you're going to study for hours. When i get up I hate the thoughts of being like "right, i HAVE to stay here for the next 4 or 5 hours"...instead, just decide to do a particular topic for half an hour or 40 minutes, maybe the length of a class seeing as you'd be used to concentrating on 1 particular subject for this length of time.
    I find that if i do this, i spend longer than I thought i would at it, mainly just cos i managed to get started in the first place. Even if you stop after the 40mins, at least thats something done!

Ive found a new way to keep concentration, dunno though, i doubt anyone else would find any benefit in it! Ive always found that i study better at night, i dont know what it is, but im restless studying during the day. What i do now tho, is close the curtains in the room im studying! I must be tricking myself into thinking its night time, but it works :P and helps the concentration, cos i cant stare out at the sunshine! :D

No idea if thats any help, looks like a loada rambling, but if you just get started bit by bit hopefully itl get easier :-)

Just a little:pac:

Coffee:confused:

To get goin u simply just have to star and as AM said jus do a little bit.

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    Just a little:pac:

Coffee:confused:

To get goin u simply just have to star and as AM said jus do a little bit.

Ha, well at least i put a bit of thought into my ramblings :p:pac:

And if the solution is gunna be drinks, berocca is a godsend first thing in the morning, followed by many, many cups of coffee :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

That Lucozade Alert stuff is a Godsend.
    It even trumps Berocca.

NYOM NYOM NYOM. It's got about 25% of your RDA of sugar, but I've lost the will to care.
    Lucozade <3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

fill a bucket of water and place 1 empty 250ml glass beside you as you begin to study. When you start to feel drowsy fill the glass from the bucket and throw it over your head.

Alternatively, you could do the water thing at the sink. there's certain points like ears, back of neck, top of forehead that are sensitive to freezing water and should shock you into alertness

P.S If you are thinking of using ice-cubes, under no circumstances should they be placed directly on the skin as most people don't like getting burned. Put them in a towel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

What i do now tho, is close the curtains in the room im studying! I must be tricking myself into thinking its night time, but it works :P and helps the concentration, cos i cant stare out at the sunshine! :D
    thats exactly what i do but my mam says i look anti-social???

thats exactly what i do but my mam says i look anti-social???

Yeeyyyyy!!!! I thought i was crazy doing this but i actually feel like i can study better! :D Haha, isn't studying a very anti-social business anyway, sitting alone for hours on end? My dad just threatens that ill have to pay the next electricity bill :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

bythewoods wrote: »
    That Lucozade Alert stuff is a Godsend.
    It even trumps Berocca.

NYOM NYOM NYOM. It's got about 25% of your RDA of sugar, but I've lost the will to care.
    Lucozade <3

Exactly what I was thinking. Youll be full of energy though and then youll have none. = BAD

item_id60.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Maybe you just need a break? imo tons of coffee or jolting yourself awake with ice cubes isn't going to motivate you, and you'll end up totally resenting work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

maybe electricly stimulating your nipples will help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Yeeyyyyy!!!! I thought i was crazy doing this but i actually feel like i can study better! :D Haha, isn't studying a very anti-social business anyway, sitting alone for hours on end? My dad just threatens that ill have to pay the next electricity bill :P

i feel i can study more in da dark though (btw i am not a goth or anything near one) but my mams constant nagging about the neighbours thinking we are anti-social is doing my head in (maybe masking tape mite shut her up hmmm..) and adamski8 i think your idea might work but i dont want to risk doing exams in a hospital, thank you very much :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 george.

adamski8 wrote: »

yeah, thats what i've been doing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

If you're a guy, keep the laptop off the desk.

Keep it out of the room, in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

186-019~Coffee-Posters.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

adamski8 wrote: »

yes that's fine in the privacy of your own room but in an exam hall if you're not sitting beside a plug you're gonna need like a 50 metre extension lead and them ain't cheap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭yummy91

Red Bull works for me, but thinking of trying berroca, it sounds healthier, what with red bull being connected to heart attacks and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Caffienated energy strips
    Caffienated breath spray
    Javapops

And if you really hate sleep: ShowerShock Caffiene soap! comes in a body-wash gel thing too:D

I know I've spelled caffeine wrong 3 times up there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

pathway33 wrote: »
    yes that's fine in the privacy of your own room but in an exam hall if you're not sitting beside a plug you're gonna need like a 50 metre extension lead and them ain't cheap
    hmmm might have to hook one up to a battery pack and then maybe try flog it on dragons den

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Just take breaks regularly.

Go on a stroll or a go for a puc about :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Make sure you're sleeping and eating properly. Basically. Drink some delicious cranberry juice. Om nom nom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Nanaki

^ +1
    No energy drinks. Don't rely on them, don't have them at all if you can.
    Avoid high sugar content in particular, you don't want to crash an hour into your study.
    What PFM said, eat right, sleep right. Try something like porridge for breakfast, was a huge help to me all through leaving cert.
    If you find your concentration waning, go outside for a walk. Even if it's cold or raning. Especially if it's raining :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Pooner

if i need to study long lists facts like geography answers

say an A4 page-take 5 mins to read through it slowly highliting important words,not lines and lines(if its already hilighted just get a different colour and go over it)
    then get a clock,digital preferably, and give yourself 10mins, 5 just reading through the passage and the other 5 saying it out loud counting out the hilighted bits on your fingers and stressing them as you say it.
    Then at the end of the 10 mins say it off without looking at it.

Learning the whole leaving cert course off by heart will never work so learn important words and build around them, if you can learn something in 1 mins reward yourself with a 10 minute break if it takes 20 mins to learn then give yourself 5 mins!!this will make you concentrate harder during the learning period!!!!

If you reward yourself for work not done its your loss.
    I learned most of the geography course today all i have to do now is get my sister to pic out 2 or three random ones for me to write out,but i know i know it!!!

Advertisement