Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ricky Sbragia resigns

• 24-05-2009 6:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭

Just confirmed live on Sky Sports. He's decided not to take up his option of a 2nd year.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Hopefully they follow the rest of the North East sides out of the league this time next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Quinn says he has a job for life at Sunderland,

to be honest Sbragia looks from his body language and failure to look at the camera once, that it wasn't his decision.

not surprised to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I would love it if Toon hired him, love it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Think that was inevitable really.

Claudio Ranieri for Sunderland!

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Hopefully they follow the rest of the North East sides out of the league this time next year.

why do they deserve that? because they sold more jerseys over here than City did?

stupid statement to be honest, and off topic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

"Resigned"

From bbc gossip page:

Texan millionaire Ellis Short will complete a buy-out at Sunderland next week and hand a new manager, possibly Martin Jol or Steve McClaren, a £200m transfer budget to turn the Black Cats into a major force.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

"Resigned"

From bbc gossip page:

Texan millionaire Ellis Short will complete a buy-out at Sunderland next week and hand a new manager, possibly Martin Jol or Steve McClaren, a £200m transfer budget to turn the Black Cats into a major force.

Not with Steve McClaren they won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

What a horrible thing to say, and very trollish for a mod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

to be honest Sbragia looks from his body language and failure to look at the camera once, that it wasn't his decision.

not surprised to be honest

I doubt that's the case. He was very hesitant to take the job in the first place and I don't think he felt he was ever suited to a managerial role. He said it himself the past 5-6 months have been one of the toughest of his life. He'll much prefer going back to the coaching.

Alan Curbishley as a replacement is the first name to come to mind.

why do they deserve that? because they sold more jerseys over here than City did?

What are you on about? Jersey sales? :rolleyes:

They're a crap team who play crap football and are filled with average rejects from other Premiership clubs. Like Middlesbrough they offer feck all to the league.
    stupid statement to be honest, and off topic

Very much on topic, which is Sunderland if I'm not mistaken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Not a surprise. His record since taking over has been poor and he's never looked entirely happy.

Daysha wrote: »
    I doubt that's the case. He was very hesitant to take the job in the first place and I don't think he felt he was ever suited to a managerial role. He said it himself the past 5-6 months have been one of the toughest of his life. He'll much prefer going back to the coaching.

Alan Curbishley as a replacement is the first name to come to mind.

you are probably right - maybe he didnt want the fuss made about it in front of the camera's,

if short completes the takeover i don't think Curbishley will get a look in,

he wants a big name for his big cheque book,

Jol was rumoured to be lined up, even before Sbragia signed up - they just needed to fill the gap between the takeover and hope they were still a premiership club,

looks like it might have been on good enough grounds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

They're a crap team who play crap football and are filled with average rejects from other Premiership clubs. Like Middlesbrough they offer feck all to the league

Could also be a statement made about Man City tbh.

Back on topic. I think he gave a good account for himself in the months he's been at Sunderland. I personally think he is more a coach than a manager and doesn't enjoy the spotlight, or the media attention. He can count his time there as a success imo.

Quazzie wrote: »
    What a horrible thing to say, and very trollish for a mod.

Ah go way out of that. There's people happy Newcastle have gone down, and have said as much in threads today (happy to provide links if you want).

I love how expressing an opinion that isn't agreed with by the masses makes you a troll :rolleyes:, though feel free to report the post rather than make on thread accusations.

City play crap football?

Hmmm I seem to remember us playing Arsenal off the park this year. Whatever about the rest of our games I'm sure you at least saw that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

No, it's regarding the previous and future manager of the club. If you want to talk about your petty hate for the club take it elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

They bleedin didn't. This is really annoying me because the English actually believe that people Irish people suddenly started going around wearing Sunderland jerseys.

Back on topic. I think he gave a good account for himself in the months he's been at Sunderland. I personally think he is more a coach than a manager and doesn't enjoy the spotlight, or the media attention. He can count his time there as a success imo.

In fairness to Citeh in some of their homes games they've played football of the highest quality.

Most people who hate them on here, it seems to stem from the Irish connection and the "plastics" that followed, probably doesn't include you.

They're a crap team who play crap football and are filled with average rejects from other Premiership clubs. Like Middlesbrough they offer feck all to the league.

Sure all they need to change that is a new manager with a new philosophy - 1st step in that talken today.

Im sure City had to go through a period of consolidation in the Premiership when they retured, before trying to take the next step

Well it was more that Sbragia resigned, strange you havn't mentioned that yet, or why it might be.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    They bleedin didn't. This is really annoying me because the English actually believe that people Irish people suddenly started going around wearing Sunderland jerseys.

I wasn't stating it as fact,

but i have seen plane loads of for all intents and purposes "irish" people heading over to Newcastle International airport and Durham Tees Valley airport.

Maybe they only wore the jerseys in Dublin airport on the island of Ireland

• Advertisement

Most people who hate them on here, it seems to stem from the Irish connection and the "plastics" that followed, probably doesn't include you.

Oh no, I did hate that as well, but it doesn't really apply anymore. I just think they're a very poor outfit who were lucky that the league had so much dross in it this year.
    Sure all they need to change that is a new manager with a new philosophy - 1st step in that talken today.

Im sure City had to go through a period of consolidation in the Premiership when they retured, before trying to take the next step

We did indeed, and I've said as much in the Newcastle threads.
    Well it was more that Sbragia resigned, strange you havn't mentioned that yet, or why it might be.

He resigned because he was out of his depth, something which was always going to be the case when he took over.

It was a silly appointment, in many ways similar to the Shearer one, and they stayed up inspite of him imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't think Sbragia was doing a great job at Sunderland. I think he is right to go.

So should a new thread be started on just Sunderland or link it to what is CLEARLY about Sunderland and how they are likely to progress after Ricky Sbragia resigns.

Some people (not directing this @ you btw) are far too sensitive on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Not a hope he has resigned, looked like a bold schoolchild in the interview once Quinn started to speak.

He resigned because he was out of his depth, something which was always going to be the case when he took over.

It was a silly appointment, in many ways similar to the Shearer one, and they stayed up inspite of him imo.

Id say the takeover from Short which is due very soon had more to do with it than you think,

which also had a lot to do with the last manager leaving,

he has plans for what will be his club,

they are taking a very similar path to your club if you don't mind me saying,

time will tell anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

DSB wrote: »
    Not a hope he has resigned, looked like a bold schoolchild in the interview once Quinn started to speak.

haha yeah. It looked really awkward.

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    So should a new thread be started on just Sunderland or link it to what is CLEARLY about Sunderland and how they are likely to progress after Ricky Sbragia resigns.

Some people (not directing this @ you btw) are far too sensitive on here.

I know what you mean, and im probably a bit sensitive towards the topic, i have no problem admitting that,

but what did that post from Xavi add to this thread?

i know it fuelled a lot more posts, but it was uncalled for, especially from a mod.

Id say the takeover from Short which is due very soon had more to do with it than you think,

which also had a lot to do with the last manager leaving,

he has plans for what will be his club,

they are taking a very similar path to your club if you don't mind me saying,

time will tell anyways

Do you mean a similar path now or a similar path to the one we went down a decade ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

eirebhoy wrote: »

I have seen loads of people wearing sunderland tops this year in ireland.

• Advertisement

Do you mean a similar path now or a similar path to the one we went down a decade ago?

Well im hoping one and you are hoping the other :D

we'll see though

I know what you mean, and im probably a bit sensitive towards the topic, i have no problem admitting that,

but what did that post from Xavi add to this thread?

i know it fuelled a lot more posts, but it was uncalled for, especially from a mod.

Is it really just that he's a mod that seems to be the big issue here? It seems that way to me.

He expressed a personal view, I disagree with him and i dont mind sunderland but he's entitled to say something like that. It relates to Sunderland and their future.

Meh, i just find it funny how there was such a reaction to it and I believe that it's just because he's a mod. OR, he supports a shít team himself :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I'd love to see jol back in the premier league did a great job at spurs and was sorry to see him go i expect the next manager will cut a lotof players and bring in half the number to replace them.

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Is it really just that he's a mod that seems to be the big issue here? It seems that way to me.

He expressed a personal view, I disagree with him and i dont mind sunderland but he's entitled to say something like that. It relates to Sunderland and their future.

Meh, i just find it funny how there was such a reaction to it and I believe that it's just because he's a mod. OR, he supports a shít team himself :pac:

Not because he is a mod no, its a bit harder to understand because of that though.

Just because it was a stupid statement, with no reasoning behind it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭blindpilot

mcwhirter wrote: »
    I have seen loads of people wearing sunderland tops this year in ireland.

Wait till the Ipswich infestation next year. If they get promoted it'll be Sunderland all over again. FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Amazing criticism from a City fan with as team full of mercenaries. De Jong, Robinho, Kompany, Bridge, Bellamy etc etc

Hopefully City will continually fail to hit top 6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

noodler wrote: »
    Amazing criticism from a City fan with as team full of mercenaries. De Jong, Robinho, Kompany, Bridge, Bellamy etc etc

Hopefully City will continually fail to hit top 6.

Still a much better side than Sunderland in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

newblue08 wrote: »
    Wait till the Ipswich infestation next year. If they get promoted it'll be Sunderland all over again. FFS

I don't think so.
    A lot of people had a soft spot for Sunderland from way before Keane took charge. Partly the Niall Quinn factor and also back when I were a lad they were seen (probably very incorrectly) as a Catholic/Irish friendly club up against the royalists of Newcastle. I don't the history of it but all the mad Celtic fans I knew would have always supported Sunderland over Newcastle.

I don't think Ipswich have the same core support in Ireland so i don't see a similar SundIreland thing happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't think so.
    A lot of people had a soft spot for Sunderland from way before Keane took charge. Partly the Niall Quinn factor and also back when I were a lad they were seen (probably very incorrectly) as a Catholic/Irish friendly club up against the royalists of Newcastle. I don't the history of it but all the mad Celtic fans I knew would have always supported Sunderland over Newcastle.

I don't think Ipswich have the same core support in Ireland so i don't see a similar SundIreland thing happening.
    Are you mad?

Roy Keane in charge and nicknamed the Tractor Boys. All the farmers will love that one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i dunno xavi, they offer more to the league then you seem to think. kenwyne (sp?) jones is a class player and i enjoy watching him play. yeah they do have a few rejects who are average at best, but so do a lot of sides. at least they are able to keep up with city in the farcical signings league :p £9m on a reserve keeper? thats 3/5 of wat a craig bellamy is worth!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

i wonder when "it" will start the pimping of the sunderland?!.....oh looks like he already has:

0.jpg

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Xavi6 ain't trolling...he's right. They did play some awful football at times and stayed up because of other results. Next year they may do worse or better.

If Sunderland sign some good players, get a great manager, play some great football slap Xavi6 with a quote :P I'm sure he'll take it back.

Ricky was hired to keep Sunderland up, he did it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭blindpilot

I don't think so.

I would love to agree with you mate but we shall see!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

In defence of Ricky Sbragia!

Roy Keane kept Sunderland up last year and this was generally viewed in Ireland as a fair achievement.......

Ricky Sbragia takes over when Keane walks away leaving the side 2nd from bottom and after having spent 80m on a lot of bad players.......

Ricky manages to keep the team up.......that has to be viewed as a damn fine achievement in my eyes.

Or does he have to be Irish to get this credit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

that's a wee bit harsh in fairness. Sbragia has an excellent footballing mind, it's more he had no interest in management in the past and seemingly has no interest in keeping it up. Not a personality who likes being in charge and i think that became obvious towards the end. Quinn knew this from day one when he gave him the job, that's why he's very complementary about Sbragia. Afterall he did the job (when there were few wanting to fill Keanes boots seemingly) and kept them up.

Roy Keane I assume....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Sbragia is a training ground coach

nothing else

Headshot wrote: »
    Sbragia is a training ground coach
    nothing else

At least he came to the training ground!

As Niall Quinn said tonight Ricky Sbragia stayed on and kept the club up (in spite of a lot of cash spent on bad players by his predecessor) when others walked away.

Well done Ricky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

probably cruel, but i really wish west brom had stayed up and sunderland had taken their place.

north east should stick to rugby league. in fact having watched a couple fo north east matches this year, im quite sure they do a lot of rugby league training. awful muck.

anyway, im not sure about sbragia resigning. you kep a team in the league and then give up? either he was pushed out, or he really really didnt feel comfortable having a go again this year, which would lead me to believe that keeping them up this year was a fluke. although, t be fair, sunderland are probably the least offensive team to football out of the three teams up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Sorry I was out last night or I'd have responded much quicker.

We all know the correct method for dealing with trollish or off-topic posts, right?

Before anyone says "oh but nothing will be done about a mod" I'll say now, if there's a case to be answered then it will be dealt with. On this occasion a large mountain was made out of a tiny molehill.

Leave the modding to the mods please (and to Xavi6's credit, he asked that we look at this thread least he be accused of bias if he dealt with any back-seat modding).

Any comments you have are welcome by PM, do not continue this discussion on-thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

I love how expressing an opinion that isn't agreed with by the masses makes you a troll :rolleyes:, though feel free to report the post rather than make on thread accusations.

But it all goes back to the old Sunderland/ Celtic hatred on this forum. Say what you like about Sunderland but when you hae Irish people supporting Rangers in the UEFA cup it isnt funny (and I dont even rate Celtics footy as particularly entertaining)

• Advertisement
Advertisement