Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfair Actions

Options
  • 24-05-2009 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭

Hi, I posted a thread looking for gaming writers in the Playstation forum. It was then moved to the games forum.

Anyway, I posted looking for writers for my gaming blog. Of course, the mod in question Kinetic^ decided to post, and move my thread to his forum, claiming that it was a multiformat blog. He obviously didn't read the first post, which claimed it was going to be a Playstation only blog.

Another poster asked my to start giving credit to writers of posts that I posted on the site. I claimed that I didn't and a few minutes later, the poster showed to comparisons, a post on my site, and a google search on a quote out of the article, which returned 48 results.

Kinetic then immediately closed the thread, without giving me a chance to respond. I wrote the article on a site I used to write for. I was the original writer of the post!

When I asked him to re-open the thread via PM I was told to never threaten anyone on the site, and he then went on to delete the thread.
    My point is, is that not only did he not give me a chance to respond, but it also had nothing to do with Boards or the thread in question.

This user was made a mod very recently, and is known to move posts around that have nothing to do with him or Games, his mod category.

I am very upset about this as I feel cheated and he has disrespected me on front of my fellow users, without giving me a chance to redeem myself.

Can someone please do something about this, as it is very unfair.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

vflhp wrote: »
    Hi, I posted a thread looking for gaming writers in the Playstation forum. It was then moved to the games forum.

Anyway, I posted looking for writers for my gaming blog. Of course, the mod in question Kinetic^ decided to post, and move my thread to his forum, claiming that it was a multiformat blog. He obviously didn't read the first post, which claimed it was going to be a Playstation only blog.
    Incorrect, you wrote this:
    I was going to name it projectplaystation.com (which is free, for anyone who wants it) but I want the site to be multiplatform.
    That states clearly that you want a multiplatform site.
    Another poster asked my to start giving credit to writers of posts that I posted on the site. I claimed that I didn't and a few minutes later, the poster showed to comparisons, a post on my site, and a google search on a quote out of the article, which returned 48 results.

Kinetic then immediately closed the thread, without giving me a chance to respond. I wrote the article on a site I used to write for. I was the original writer of the post!

When I asked him to re-open the thread via PM I was told to never threaten anyone on the site, and he then went on to delete the thread.
    My point is, is that not only did he not give me a chance to respond, but it also had nothing to do with Boards or the thread in question.

This user was made a mod very recently, and is known to move posts around that have nothing to do with him or Games, his mod category.

I am very upset about this as I feel cheated and he has disrespected me on front of my fellow users, without giving me a chance to redeem myself.

Can someone please do something about this, as it is very unfair.

Thanks!
    I imagine that he doesn't another incident like the one that got you an infraction and thread closure on another forum for the exact same thread topic.

Quite rightly the community is wary of allowing you to advertise your job openings for your games review website after you hurled abuse at people elsewhere and have stated that people will not get any payment from you, except maybe in 3 months or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't call it a job opportunity. More of a dig out for me, like what some people do on the forum, asking for advice, it was a harmless cry for help.

I said I WANT the site to be multiplatform. Want and is are two different things.

Also, what has copying work got to do with anything? Sure, I can see the other posters concern, as he probably didn't want to write for the site as he thought I copied an article (which I didn't), but why would the mod close the thread about something on the site that had nothing to do with the subject of the thread.

That's like someone posting a thread about IGNs imFamous review, and a mod to come along and say:

"I was on IGN, and one of the GTA: San Andreas user reviews used bad language. Thread Closed."

Has absoloutely nothing to do with it, and to add insult to injury, I was in the right!

Can someone get the Mod banned and stripped of his position, as he clearly is abusing power.

Can someone get the Mod banned and stripped of his position, as he clearly is abusing power.
    No, that won't be happening. He is clearly looking out for the community.
    I said I WANT the site to be multiplatform. Want and is are two different things.
    He obviously didn't read the first post, which claimed it was going to be a Playstation only blog.
    Contradiction.

Your third post on that thread wanted people to write about a hypothetical Xbox 720, not the PS4. Blame yourself for instigating the multiplatform topic.
    Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't call it a job opportunity. More of a dig out for me, like what some people do on the forum, asking for advice, it was a harmless cry for help.
    At no point did you ever say that it was 'helping you out', this was a job advertisement imo, not a cry for help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Gordon addressed this above.

Please provide a link to the original article that you wrote.

You sent me 2 messages within 21 minutes of each other. I'm not on here all the time so if you don't get a response within 5 seconds please have some patience.

You've no proof that it is your article. Are we to just assume that it's your article because you say so?

"to get you taken off the mods list" - that's not a threat now is it not?

I've been a moderator here since last Summer. First in Warcraft, then Lan Parties, then Console Modding, then Competitive Gaming and most recently I was asked to be the Category Moderator for the entire Games section. So no, I have not been just made a mod recently. If threads are moved it's because they're in the right forum and the user would get better advice in the correct place. Just like your thread for your multi platform website.

Hi,

Cry for help? You want people to work for free, that is not a cry for help. It's called taking advantage and it's not something that will be done through Boards.ie.
    Also, what has copying work got to do with anything? Sure, I can see the other posters concern, as he probably didn't want to write for the site as he thought I copied an article (which I didn't), but why would the mod close the thread about something on the site that had nothing to do with the subject of the thread.
    Has absoloutely nothing to do with it, and to add insult to injury, I was in the right!

Copying work has everything to do with it when you're not willing to give people their dues, particularly when you're using Boards.ie as a medium to find these people. We don't want this coming back to bite us in the ass when people say they have their work ripped off and were hired through here. You also didn't seek permission to seek writers on here, which shows a lack of respect on your part.

I've edited out the private messages from that last post, unless both of you are happy with your PMs out in the public.

• Advertisement

Hi,

You say he was looking out for the community.

I don't understant:

1. I wasn't getting nasty as all, infractions are meant to teach people to stop getting easily annoyed. I learned my lesson, and not once in the whole thread did I mock anyone or get smart.

2. I was accused of robbing peoples writing. I didn't. Even if I did, what has that got to do with Boards? Looking out for the community is not closing threads.

Also, there have been mods for years, and if you compare this mod to other mods, he is fairly new.

Also, as for the two messages within 21 minutes of themselves, I sent the first message, and when I went back to check in my sent messages, nothing came up so I sent another one. That was completely unintentional.

I looked for permission in the contacts section, and it only said if you would like to affiliate your site with boards. I use my account as a private account so I didn't want my account linked with a completely seperate website.

Not only was my original post a cry for help, it was also to offer people experience in freelance writing for my site. I pay hosting and domain names, so I decided I would make the rule of 3 months before getting review copies.

If I send out a review copy to a writer, and he is new, he may keep the game and not write the review. If that's not bad enough, I would get removed from the publishers mailing list, and my site would get a bad reputation. It has nothing to do with greediness.

Also, about the link back to the original article, if you read the post, I said it was so many years back, that I can't find it on the site. It was on gamestooge.com for sure anyways, but I looked through the archives and I can't find it.

Also, that was not a threat it was a request.

Answer me one question, though:

The post in question is in the archives of my own site, and seeing as its so old, and has nothing to do with Boards, the Thread or anything really why am I getting my threads closed.

Abusive power, but of course, in my personal experience, mods and admins tend to pick up for each other. Thats an opinion, not a jab at mods and admins, and DEFINITELY not on Boards either, on every forum.

Gordon wrote: »
    I've edited out the private messages from that last post, unless both of you are happy with your PMs out in the public.

I'm happy that the PMs were edited out, thanks Gordon.

Should Kinetic not recieve an infraction now? If I wanted those to be read for the whole internet to be read (for eight minutes, mind you) then I would have sent them in the form of a Visitor Message.

Thats an invasion of privacy, infraction right there. He closes a thread with no proof and nothing got to do with Boards, and gets away with it, and then posts two PRIVATE (private private private . . . oh the pain!!!!) messages on a public forum. That is surely an infraction, for the latter at least. I understand that the first point will need further investigation before the mod is brought to justice.

If we were to follow your standards, we'd have to ban you for advertising without permission as Boards.ie charges for that service.

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    If we were to follow your standards, we'd have to ban you for advertising without permission as Boards.ie charges for that service.

I wasn't advertising, I was giving people some experience at professional gaming writing.

Three people so far have benefited and have said they would verify that I tried no advertising techniques during the process of setting up their account.

Anyway, again:

1. Publicly showing PRIVATE messages in a thread is an infraction or ban at the least.

2. What has the issue that started in the thread got to do with the threads closure?

Call it what you want but you were advertising without permission.

• Advertisement

Call it what you want but you were advertising without permission.

Are you stupid? A question, your not obliged to answer . . .

I asked you two questions:

Publicly showing <snip>private</snip> messages in a thread is an infraction or ban at the least.

2. What has the issue that started in the thread got to do with the threads closure?

Can you answer them instead of repeating yourself.

Also, if your problem is with me advertising, why wasn't my thread closed at the start? Now THATS a good question.

Are you stupid?

Yeah, I'm finished with this thread as I'm not going to listen to comments like that. I addressed your issues above. If you're not happy then there's nothing I can do. Your thread won't be opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

vhflp - post images like that again in Help Desk and you'll get banned from here.

May I suggest you also adjust your attitude slightly. You're not winning friends.

That is surely an infraction, for the latter at least

It's a breach of site ettiquette, not law. We prefer if both parties agree to disclose them, but it's not set in stone. Also, sending a private message isn't a cop-out. You should never write in a private message what you wouldn't publish publically. Private messages can be forwarded, can be reported etc so others can possibly see them.

I'd strongly advise you to let it go, as no "crime" has been committed. No one died.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

vflhp, you're quite miffed about the thread being moved, which I can see.

As one of the assigned mods of the forum it was moved from, I'll happily state that Kinetic^ just moving the thread was generous.

I'd have deleted the thread at the very least if I'd seen it first. Boards isn't a platform for advertising or recruitment (and whichever way you look at it, you were doing one or the other). It's a discussion site. Having reviewed the complaint, I'd advise you to follow BuffyBot's advice and drop it. If I'd been first to the post, your thread wouldn't be there at all.

You're allowed to put a small link in your sig to get people to write for your site, what you're not allowed to do is use the discussion forums as an advertising or recruitment tool. That's something the site charges for.

sceptre wrote: »
    vflhp, you're quite miffed about the thread being moved, which I can see.

As one of the assigned mods of the forum it was moved from, I'll happily state that Kinetic^ just moving the thread was generous.

I'd have deleted the thread at the very least if I'd seen it first. Boards isn't a platform for advertising or recruitment (and whichever way you look at it, you were doing one or the other). It's a discussion site. Having reviewed the complaint, I'd advise you to follow BuffyBot's advice and drop it. If I'd been first to the post, your thread wouldn't be there at all.

You're allowed to put a small link in your sig to get people to write for your site, what you're not allowed to do is use the discussion forums as an advertising or recruitment tool. That's something the site charges for.

Okay, why then did the mod not close the thread in the first place. If I was advertising since the first post, then why wasn't the thread closed before it reached its fourth page?

So then, obviously the mod isn't good enough, as he even posted in the thread long before it was closed:

Good Mod: "Ah, a thread advertising an external site. I'll close this.

Bad Mod: " Uh, a thread advertising an external site. I'll post a few times, let the thread gain some exposure and close it tomorrow."

Kinetic is obviously the latter. Can someone please tell me why the mod decided to wait a day, even though I was "advertising" since the first thread?

I left the thread open as I thought you may be actually out to help the community. You were given the benefit of the doubt up until somebody discovered you were ripping other people's work off. We allow people to help the community and their are many beneficiaries across the site in situations as this but when somebody takes advantage of the goodwill provided then you will be punished accordingly. In this case, it was having your thread deleted.

You need to learn how Boards.ie works before jumping into Help Desk, which you've done twice since joining. We are in no way out to get people as we like the forums to flow but if you break the rules, threaten the users/moderators/site or potentially put those 3 in the way of harm then you won't last long around here.

As the previous admin have stated, it's probably best to drop it.

I left the thread open as I thought you may be actually out to help the community. You were given the benefit of the doubt up until somebody discovered you were ripping other people's work off. We allow people to help the community and their are many beneficiaries across the site in situations as this but when somebody takes advantage of the goodwill provided then you will be punished accordingly. In this case, it was having your thread deleted.

You need to learn how Boards.ie works before jumping into Help Desk, which you've done twice since joining. We are in no way out to get people as we like the forums to flow but if you break the rules, threaten the users/moderators/site or potentially put those 3 in the way of harm then you won't last long around here.

As the previous admin have stated, it's probably best to drop it.

The whole point of this was to get you to realise that I didn't rip off anyone elses work, it was originally mine. You're a revelation to mankind, you really are.

Until I see solid proof that that work isn't mine, I will not drop this, and thats a promise.

You are the one that needs to prove that it is yours, not the opposite way around. The article is scattered all over the internet so surely somebody out there has given you credit for it? How long ago did you write the article? What website did you write it for? Where is the proof that it's yours?

Proof is here, here, here, here, here, here......I could keep going but I frankly have spent enough time on this moronic thread.

At the bottom of every single article, bar yours it states the following:
    The author is an avid online gamer and has started a new gaming blog www.gamepuddle.com. You can visit her personal blog at www.jackieacosta.com

I've contacted the original owner and provided them the whois details of your website from godaddy.com so I'd expect you'll be hearing from her very soon.

Can you drop it now?

• Advertisement

Proof is here, here, here, here, here, here......I could keep going but I frankly have spent enough time on this moronic thread.

At the bottom of every single article, bar yours it states the following:

I've contacted the original owner and provided them the whois details of your website from godaddy.com so I'd expect you'll be hearing from her very soon.

Can you drop it now?

Nah, I can't let Boards be contaminated by a foul mod. You're obviously not getting your point across.

Who's to say that she didn't steal the article for me, and kept the credit for herself? Hmmmm, not possible? Think again.

This is fully possible, and since my article wrote well over three years ago, long before the robber decided to take credit, I'm in the right here.

It's a pity really, the internet can be informative, interesting and relaxing. Sometimes, though, people like you come along and purposely try to pick on people out of spite. Obviously something annoyed you that day. In my analysis, it could anything from: "The 40 Year Old Virgin" case, in which men like you reflect on their sex lives, all the way up to "Why did I not get an invitation to my school reunion" case, where even as adults, your schoolmates decided to stop bullying you, and simply ignore you . . .

Also, just for the record, this Jackie has her GamePuddle site, which says the link is broken and the site obviously up anymore, and when I went to her other blog, expecting to see some of my favourite gaming characters, I was faced with the heading "A Single Moms Blog"

Shes a real hardcore gamer, maybe she should worry more on the upkeep of her site, than robbing my articles.

Resorting to petty insults is childish. I can only hope that three years ago your textual representations were a tad more mature than they are now.

Gordon wrote: »
    Resorting to petty insults is childish. I can only hope that three years ago your textual representations were a tad more mature than they are now.

I wasn't insulting the Kinetic, I was stating facts. Ninety percent of those type of people spend most of their time on the internet and computers, which is why he is a mod, and picks on people he never met because of the way his life has turned out.

No, I'm not picking put Kinetic, merely stating a fact that those "type" of people are like that.

Anyway, back to the matter in hand. Why wasn't the thread closed at first? The thread was closed because of me allegedly robbing work, yet it took me two days of "advertising" to get the thread closed, and it wasn't even locked because of advertising.

The mod then goes on in his claims of me stealing work when I didn't, and even gives examples of scattered articles. There was 48 results, yet he could only find 5 by a defined author. Strange, eh?

So, you've no proof to back any of your claims are and the only thing you can retort with is childish insults.

Admin, Can I get this thread locked?

Can you not admit you were wrong.

Admin, can we keep this thread open?

I still don't think this thread is fully finished, and I take it that mods and admins are always the same, they pick up for each other.

Also, I'll say it again. Kinetic, you're paranoid. I stated I wasn't picking you out in particular. No childish insults. This is a place of opinions, why do my valid opinions always get rejected?

Nothing wrong with them, really.

Admin, can we keep this thread open?

No, we can't.

Enough of this time waste. You've had your say, we've had ours and we don't agree. However, as the Admins it's part of our role that we won't always be able to agree with everyone all of time - mods, or users. In this case, it just happens to be you.

The actions stand :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement