Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How fast are modern day F1 cars compared to old cars?

• 24-05-2009 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭

Is there any way to really compare them? Thinking especially of the crazy ground effect cars they used to run in the 80's :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Go onto youtube and search for ScotRacer - some great side-by side views of the differences between cars and drivers.

Basically:
    F1 cars always get faster every year. Regardless of what the regulations try and do to stop them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Thanks, seems 2004 is the quickest year of them all.

Led me to this which is quite slick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Tragedy wrote: »
    Thanks, seems 2004 is the quickest year of them all.

Led me to this *vid* which is quite slick.

Got this sent to me from shell a while back. The making of it is actually quite interesting if your in to that sort of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Fabio

Great advert!

I'd say they get quicker every year too with few exceptions really...onlyt when radical rules come in does it take time for the engineers to get around them.

Although you've gotta admire the 1.5 litre turbo engines pushing out 1300bhp in qualifying mode back in the mid eighties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Modern F1 cars have huge amounts of downforce which allows them to carry a lot more speed through a corner and also a more speed on the way into a corner.
    That and safety, the cars are safer and the circuits have huge run off areas so the drivers can get away with more mistakes and have the confidence to push harder.

• Advertisement
Advertisement