Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

scooter for a petite female

• 24-05-2009 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hi,could u recommend one for me?Tried honda x8rs but too big for me-too heavy, can't reach the ground when starting off,having problems wth keeping my balance on it.Know it sounds funny but I'd say I need something smaller as only learning how to ride.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

If you can't find a scooter that suits , you could cut down the seat foam a bit.
    Buy a used seat from a breakers , get that cut down and keep the original seat for when you sell it.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/howto/cut_motorcycle_seats/index.html
    http://www.scooterdiva.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2561&sid=d4f318c1f166c160fdc83557add69e20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭slapper

how can a scoot be too heavy for you

if an x8r is too big otr heavey then you wont be able to drive one

but try an ovetto and piagio zip theyre a little smaller not much tho
    you could be better off going for a nsr 80 or something like that or even a 125 cruser

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Try a Gilera Ice, girl I went to school with had one and it was much smaller than the Aerox I had at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

slapper wrote: »
    how can a scoot be too heavy for you

If the seat is too high and wide , you'll seem very weak.

Same as if the gearchange on a bike is too high/stiff , most people feet aren't very strong when they are in that position. Try it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

nsr 75 or whatever they are might be better for ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

What is you budget?
    Do you want a new scooter, or second hand?
    What size engine would you prefer?

There are some realy good scooters out there, but some of them are quite pricey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 selena27

I'd be looking for an used one.Something between 500 and 800 euro would be great.Keeping the balance on it seems to be the biggest issue.Maybe it's just me not the size of the bike?What do u think?But it really seems to be to high and too heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

I think that all bikes seem heavy and high when you are starting out, but you get used to it as you get more confident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

P.C. wrote: »
    I think that all bikes seem heavy and high when you are starting out, but you get used to it as you get more confident.
    Thats it really. There is one chap here in town going around on a gsxr1000 and he has to lean the bike to one side at traffic lights so he can touch the ground. Funny out but not a bother on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 bongo bongo

Hi Selena27
    Dont bother with the scooter I have a free seat your welcome:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭xinchao

Hi there,
    Saw your post, you could try a scooter like Aprilia Habanna custom, not sure what they are called now. I have one 125cc, they look similar to the old Vespa or Lambretta.
    But I think they are nicer. the Retro looks are great and easy for a beginner to ride as you are sitting straight and it has wide handlebars meaning that you have better rear-visibility with your wing-mirrors. It has a glove box, perfect for your purse etc. Has a clip on the floor to tie bags in case you are shopping around town and under the seat you can store a half-size helmet, I used it for carrying things. I've since gone on to larger bikes, but it is perfect for living in a city or town as I used to do. 8 litre tank gives you about 150miles. Top speed 70mph (with a little wind behind you!) but cruises at 50mph. Looks fantastic people always commented on its looks. Not that I cared that much...
    Google it and see what results you get. comes in at 50cc and 125cc.
    It is probably more expensive than other scooters to buy new but I know there are a few second hand knocking around. There is a dealership in Dublin if you need parts to be ordered and they are good, will have in a few days usually not that it ever broke down for me, except for tyres...Although I did have to order new parts because some really funny kids decided to steal parts from it in Limerick. :mad:
    Other scooters that are racing versions are dangerous because of cross-winds and the fact that you are leaning forward into the handlebars, they are too light for that design. I would try buy and sell or auto-trader etc etc so find decent second hand scooters. Problem with buying new scooters is that they depreciate very quickly. So better off buying a second hand one that has low mileage. Hope this helps.

Advertisement