Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

joey gentelman barton

• 24-05-2009 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

Apparently barton was crying in the dressing room after the result today. I think this shows he has a heart, and should be given an extension on his contract and Newcastle should rebuild their championship side around him!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Hahahahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

He should be fuked into a skip full of starving rats, despicable cretin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Apparently barton was crying in the dressing room after the result today. I think this shows he has a heart, and should be given an extension on his contract and Newcastle should rebuild their championship side around him!
    Just because he shed some tears, are you for real?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

As windups go mate, about 2/10 for this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I see the 'love to hate on a player who has made mistakes' gang are quickly in this thread.

I think if Newcastle could keep him it would be great for them and maybe they would get straight back up.

• Advertisement

Great track record, give him a wage increase too, he deserves it, after all he was crying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Esse85 wrote: »
    Just because he shed some tears, are you for real?
    Are you?

Aidric wrote: »
    Are you?
    100%

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

eagle eye wrote: »
    I see the 'love to hate on a player who has made mistakes' gang are quickly in this thread.

I think if Newcastle could keep him it would be great for them and maybe they would get straight back up.

they are mistakes he keeps making. he seems absolutely allergic to learning any kind of lesson.
    to quote dunphy - 'hes a clown for all to see'

Jazzy wrote: »
    they are mistakes he keeps making. he seems absolutely allergic to learning any kind of lesson.
    to quote dunphy - 'hes a clown for all to see'
    He got involved in something in late 2007, served time in jail for it and there has been nothing since that. Or does a dressing room argument count as a mistake thats punishable.

And if thats the case, why is Alex Ferguson still in charge of United after all the things he has done in the dressing room?

• Advertisement

He got involved in something in late 2007, served time in jail for it and there has been nothing since that. Or does a dressing room argument count as a mistake thats punishable.

And if thats the case, why is Alex Ferguson still in charge of United after all the things he has done in the dressing room?
    What a ridiculous argument your trying to make.

You just look silly.

Maybe because Ferguson is the best manager ever to manage in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

What are you on about only 2 or 3 weeks ago he was given a straight red for making a very dangerous tackle on Xabi Alonso, just the latest bit of drama from his crazy career and it definitely won't be the last.

He's a scumbag, he was given chances left right and centre by city and toon and he continually threw it back in peoples faces by acting the prik.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

he does nothing to help himself though does he? or was i just imagining that red card vs. pool a few weeks ago and the following bust up with the new manager and local legend? hes a good player i agree, but he just seems poisonous for any club hes at. newcastle could have done with him today and for the past few games. i would hope that he cops on and learns his lesson, but i say the same for everyone that has made mistakes.. problem is, he has shown me absolutely no sign that this will happen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Alot of bans today by looks of it lol.

Esse85 wrote: »
    What a ridiculous argument your trying to make.

You just look silly.

Maybe because Ferguson is the best manager ever to manage in England.
    I am just pointing out that people make mistakes, Barton is a very good player and he deserves the chance to play as long as he stays out of trouble.

I am just pointing out that if everybody was treated the same then people should have the same opinion of others but thats not the case. In United's case for example, you had Eric Cantona who stamped on players regularly, dived into the crowd, you have Ferguson who has been involved in numerous bust ups in the dressing room, Ronaldo who has a habit of kicking out at players but this hate I see for Joey Barton far outweighs whats ever said about these players.

If Joey Barton had played for one of the bigger clubs when this happened it would not have reached the media and courts much the same as similar incidents never got that far at other clubs. If you don't know what I'm talking about, well I'm not putting it up here but a lot of things have been sorted privately by club representatives over the years and some much worse than Joey Barton ever done. The fact that he has received treatment for his problems and its clear he has from just watching him on the pitch of late. His facial expressions show the man is doing his very best to put it all behind him, but then again I'm trained to spot them things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

What are you on about only 2 or 3 weeks ago he was given a straight red for making a very dangerous tackle on Xabi Alonso, .

Get off the soapbox. It was a poor challenge, nothing more. It would have warranted a quick mention and quickly forgotten about if it was anyone else.

Newcastle have sorely lacked any sort of interest in stayign up. They were shocking today and last week against Fulham. Villa players were the ones chasing them down today when they didnt have the ball. It was terrible to watch and I'd have been disgusted if Iwas a Newcastle fan.

At least Barton would have had some fight. I'd rather every player got sent off after busting their hump to try than to go out without so much as a whimper watching a team playing for nothing run rings around them.

Are Newcastle better off playing Michael Owen who looks like he's killing time before rushing back to the stables or Joey Barton who gives his all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

I've led the charge against Barton many a time, his flaws evident for all to see. But to a Championship Newcastle he can be a useful asset, an ideal player out of what they currently have to build a hard tackling championship team around.

Barton & Newcastle can rebuild their reputation together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I am just pointing out that people make mistakes, Barton is a very good player and he deserves the chance to play as long as he stays out of trouble.

I am just pointing out that if everybody was treated the same then people should have the same opinion of others but thats not the case. In United's case for example, you had Eric Cantona who stamped on players regularly, dived into the crowd, you have Ferguson who has been involved in numerous bust ups in the dressing room, Ronaldo who has a habit of kicking out at players but this hate I see for Joey Barton far outweighs whats ever said about these players.

If Joey Barton had played for one of the bigger clubs when this happened it would not have reached the media and courts much the same as similar incidents never got that far at other clubs. If you don't know what I'm talking about, well I'm not putting it up here but a lot of things have been sorted privately by club representatives over the years and some much worse than Joey Barton ever done. The fact that he has received treatment for his problems and its clear he has from just watching him on the pitch of late. His facial expressions show the man is doing his very best to put it all behind him, but then again I'm trained to spot them things.

What a load of bull**** tbh. Deserves a chance as long as he stays out of trouble? :rolleyes: He's shown he's not capable of staying out of trouble plenty of times.

- stubbed a cigar out in a youth teams face
    - Nearly got into a fight with a 15yr old Everton fan and tysoned Richard Dunne
    - Knocked Diaby around for no reason
    - Battered some kid in McDonald's.

Not mention countless horrible tackles he's put in. How you can compare him to fergie accidental kicking at boot at someone or Ronaldo taking a small swipe at someone is unreal. Even Cantona looks like Mother Theresa compared to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

IMO you can sum Barton up in one word...Thug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

C_71_article_1006083_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote: »
    Get off the soapbox. It was a poor challenge, nothing more. It woudl have warranted a quick mention and quickly forgotten about if it was anyone else.

Newcastle have srely lacked any sort of interest in stayign up. They were shocking today and last week against Fulham. Villa players were the ones chasing them down today when they didnt have the ball. It was terrible to watch and I'd have been disgusted if Iwas a Newcastle fan.

At least Barton would have had some fight. I'd rather every player got sent off after busting their hump to try than to go out without so much as a whimper watching a team playing for nothing run rings around them.

Are Newcastle better off playing Michael Owen who looks like he's killing time before rushing back to the stables or Joey Barton who gives his all?

So you can be deducted points for not being able to field a team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Barton is a very good player and he deserves the chance to play as long as he stays out of trouble.

He could be an average player in the championship. He is distinctly less than so in a poor premiership team. He is defined by what he does off the pitch which pretty much sums the guy up.

So you can be deducted points for not being able to field a team?

Well done, good man. Nice to see you take everythign very literally (when it suits I'm sure).

But seeing as you wanted to take it down that route Newcastle may as well have forfeited the game 3-0 and saved themselves the bother of walking around watching Villa and Fulham play for 90 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I will say that he is a good player, but he has had too many chances and just blown them all.

Liam O wrote: »
    I will say that he is a good player, but he has had too many chances and just blown them all.

Should we cite the case of a Mr Eric Cantona?

I'm sure the teammate he smacked around the head with the studs of his boots in France looking similar to Dabo. Any Utd fans condenming him and saying he should never have been signed?
    Then theres the small matter of his trip into the crowd at Palace.
    Throw in a bit of stamping for good measure and he wasnt exactly a model professional.

Shearer had a few on field moments of thuggery that could match Bartons in his day too , the odd stamp and he was partial to throwing his elbows about at times.

What a load of bull**** tbh. Deserves a chance as long as he stays out of trouble? :rolleyes: He's shown he's not capable of staying out of trouble plenty of times.

- stubbed a cigar out in a youth teams face
    - Nearly got into a fight with a 15yr old Everton fan and tysoned Richard Dunne
    - Knocked Diaby around for no reason
    - Battered some kid in McDonald's.

Not mention countless horrible tackles he's put in. How you can compare him to fergie accidental kicking at boot at someone or Ronaldo taking a small swipe at someone is unreal. Even Cantona looks like Mother Theresa compared to him.
    He has done jail since his last incident and is from what I've read receiving treatment. If you just look at his facial expressions before he any of this, you will see a constant scowl and anger on his face all through his career.
    Then look at his facial expressions since this jail time and see the difference. There is no scowl, there is no anger there.
    You can go on about his past all day if you want but imo he has now finally put his problems behind him. I don't want to even go down the road of where these problems may come from but lets just say that most guys who do the things that he did usually have very deep lying issues from their childhood. I don't know if thats the case with this man. I do know that his facial expressions have changed dramatically and that doesn't happen without hard work on his part.

As for my comparisons, I'm really not interested in going any further with them, suffice to say that the 'accidental' flying boot was only a part of it. I've heard plenty of stories regarding other things that have happened to players. I refuse to go any further though with that.

He has done jail since his last incident and is from what I've read receiving treatment. If you just look at his facial expressions before he any of this, you will see a constant scowl and anger on his face all through his career.
    Then look at his facial expressions since this jail time and see the difference. There is no scowl, there is no anger there.
    You can go on about his past all day if you want but imo he has now finally put his problems behind him. I don't want to even go down the road of where these problems may come from but lets just say that most guys who do the things that he did usually have very deep lying issues from their childhood. I don't know if thats the case with this man. I do know that his facial expressions have changed dramatically and that doesn't happen without hard work on his part.

As for my comparisons, I'm really not interested in going any further with them, suffice to say that the 'accidental' flying boot was only a part of it. I've heard plenty of stories regarding other things that have happened to players. I refuse to go any further though with that.

So he didnt lunge in at Alonso in frustration and he didnt get into a verbal fight with shearer because he was angery either? Yep, sounds like a completely changed man alright.

So he didnt lunge in at Alonso in frustration and he didnt get into a verbal fight with shearer because he was angery either? Yep, sounds like a completely changed man alright.
    As mentioned earlier and I watched that game as well, that was a nothing tackle and a lot of players get yellow carded in that situation.

The referee(like you based on what I've read here) decided immediately that this is Joey Barton and he deserves a red card here and no chance.

On the Shearer thing, he has every right to defend himself verbally when attacked like that. If of course any of it is true. We really don't know what happened there and things have a habit of growing wings as they are transported from one gossiper to another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭busted flush

Ah come on lads the guy was crying and everything in the dressing room , i even heard he hugged Shearer and pleaded with him to come out of retirement for next season . You have to say it would be a good move!;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

To put it mildly , the guy is a failure but a failure of the wost kind. Sam Alderdyce might rescue him from his ' hell ' but he would only be inheriting a tired old car crash problem .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Im beginning to think Eagle Eye is one huge level/troll.

Be it his hate for all things United (shown recently by bringing in Ferguson/Cantona/Ronaldo to this argument, or how he is going to shout for Barca in the final because United played a weakend team against Stoke) where he also argued United should field a strong team against Hull in spite of a way more important game 72hours later, or his defence of a person who is quite simply a violent and mentally unhinged so and so, or his not including Malidini among the greats of world football he must be one massive wind up. That or he really doesnt have a clue.

I dunno Eagle Eye, I admit I post some questionable and downright wrong things some of the time but your posts are ALL absolute crap.

Edit: and LOL at:

What are you talking about? "Barton doesnt scowl now so he is not a thug lads!"

Jesus Christ.

Im beginning to think Eagle Eye is one huge level/troll.
    :rolleyes:
    Be it his hate for all things United (shown recently by bringing in Ferguson/Cantona/Ronaldo to this argument, or how he is going to shout for Barca in the final because United played a weakend team against Stoke) where he also argued United should field a strong team against Hull in spite of a way more important game 72hours later, or his defence of a person who is quite simply a violent and mentally unhinged so and so, or his not including Malidini among the greats of world football he must be one massive wind up. That or he really doesnt have a clue.
    What hate for United? I don't hate United as a club. I think Cantona was one of the best the premiership has seen. Anyways enough about United.
    I dunno Eagle Eye, I admit I post some questionable and downright wrong things some of the time but your posts are ALL absolute crap.
    If you disagree with something you just call it a bad post, its your only answer it seems. You disagree with a lot of my posts as if I criticise United in any way you take it personally. I will criticise where I see fit and I will give credit where I see fit too.
    Edit: and LOL at:

What are you talking about? "Barton doesnt scowl now so he is not a thug lads!"

Jesus Christ.
    If you don't understand something as I've said you have to ridicule it. If you did understand it and disagreed then maybe I'd give you some credit. However just like Joey Barton there is a chance that you too can get over your grievances, whatever they may be, and become a decent poster who is respectful to others. You deserve a couple of more chances imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

no you're right, joey barton deserves a chance

he got his first one just after he stubbed a cigar out on a workmates eye, leaving him scarred for life

he got his second after he was sent home from a pre season tour for attacking a 15 year old fan

he sort of received a third after he mooned some evertone fans (for the comparison, dave rodgers did this and was sacked by dundalk)

the fourth came after he assaulted another workmate, this time sending him to hospital

number 5 arrived when he assaulted a man and was jailed

then, when his team needed him in a relegation fight, he got himself sent off

so potentially six chances he has received, when you or i would have been sacked and found it hard to get sork again, all the while picking up around £70,000 per week

yes, its all the someone elses fault, he doesnt bring it on himself at all

so how many chances should he actually get?

As mentioned earlier and I watched that game as well, that was a nothing tackle and a lot of players get yellow carded in that situation.

The referee(like you based on what I've read here) decided immediately that this is Joey Barton and he deserves a red card here and no chance.

On the Shearer thing, he has every right to defend himself verbally when attacked like that. If of course any of it is true. We really don't know what happened there and things have a habit of growing wings as they are transported from one gossiper to another.

Two feet off the ground, it was a clear red and to suggest otherwise is crazy. His team were 2-0 down in the 80th minute, why did he feel the need to fling himself like that? Because of that he got suspended for 3 games and the most important time of the season for a needless challenge, changed man my bollox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

What hate for United? I don't hate United as a club. I think Cantona was one of the best the premiership has seen. Anyways enough about United.

If you disagree with something you just call it a bad post, its your only answer it seems. You disagree with a lot of my posts as if I criticise United in any way you take it personally. I will criticise where I see fit and I will give credit where I see fit too.

If you don't understand something as I've said you have to ridicule it. If you did understand it and disagreed then maybe I'd give you some credit. However just like Joey Barton there is a chance that you too can get over your grievances, whatever they may be, and become a decent poster who is respectful to others. You deserve a couple of more chances imo.

The United thing Im not too bothered about. I think you honestly believe you are not anti-United.

I have often tried to discuss anything I disagree with you about, with you, so thats simply a lie.

And its not that I don't understand it, its just that it is simply ridiculous. You are trying to convince us all, that in the glimpses of Barton we get on televison can really show us a reformed man? AND you are basing it on the fact he is not scowling anymore? It is laughable. Thats all. Laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

No. The man is a disgrace to Football. Who gives a damn if he's a good player? Who gives a damn if he's comparable to other players of the past or present? And who the hell cares if his facial expressions show he's trying to put it all behind him?

If he had any respect for his team and people in general he wouldn't be acting like a thug both on and off the pitch. Pity should not be taken on him.

Two feet off the ground, it was a clear red and to suggest otherwise is crazy. His team were 2-0 down in the 80th minute, why did he feel the need to fling himself like that? Because of that he got suspended for 3 games and the most important time of the season for a needless challenge, changed man my bollox.
    Two feet off the ground? Why don't you watch it again. The end of this video shows it clearly and he got the ball first by the way.

Two feet off the ground? Why don't you watch it again. The end of this video shows it clearly and he got the ball first by the way.

It doesnt matter if he got the ball, it was a dangerous two footed tackle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

A 100% focused Barton would be an asset for many premiership teams and could be a huge payer for Newcastle in the championship but how many opportunities has he had now. A terribe shame, he could have been a top player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

It doesnt matter if he got the ball, it was a dangerous two footed tackle.

Thank you. I'm sick of this mentality that if someone breaks some ones legs but gets the ball in the process it's alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

I see the 'love to hate on a player who has made mistakes' gang are quickly in this thread. .

made mistakes?

thats like saying the titanic hit one or two ice cubes!

the bloke has a well documented record of being, well, a not nice person.

ayone who puts out a cigar in someone elses eye deserves to be put down in my books. scumback actions of the highest order.

Thank you. I'm sick of this mentality that if someone breaks some ones legs but gets the ball in the process it's alright.

He didnt break his legs and he didnt go in with 2 feet up.

If there was the same reaction to every tackle like that we'd need a seperate forum . As it is, we should probably just have a "hate joey barton" forum.

the bloke has a well documented record of being, well, a not nice person.

ayone who puts out a cigar in someone elses eye deserves to be put down in my books. scumback actions of the highest order.

So have others that have been mentioned here. Cantona has a history to rival Bartons, yet he's never seen as anythign but a great player.

Either way, for all his faults he could be worse. He could be El Hadj Diouff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

What everyone I thanked on this thread said.

x 1,000,000

yermandan wrote: »
    What everyone I thanked on this thread said.

x 1,000,000

Well that was certainly worth the effort. No opinions of your own? (btw I havnt even checked who you thanked, but the response is th esame)

So have others that have been mentioned here. Cantona has a history to rival Bartons, yet he's never seen as anythign but a great player.

Either way, for all his faults he could be worse. He could be El Hadj Diouff.

im only aware of cantona doing a kung fu kick.

holding someone down and sticking a cigar in someones eye.

there is no comparison in my eyes. one was a rash bit of self destruction. the other is a deliberate action.

either way, joey barton is not a nice person, whether he is a good player or not, and i wouldnt want him in the spurs squad if we were paid. too disruptive.

he may have heart, but so did ted bundy :)

im only aware of cantona doing a kung fu kick.

holding someone down and sticking a cigar in someones eye.

there is no comparison in my eyes. one was a rash bit of self destruction. the other is a deliberate action.

either way, joey barton is not a nice person, whether he is a good player or not, and i wouldnt want him in the spurs squad if we were paid. too disruptive.

he may have heart, but so did ted bundy :)

As I posted further back, Cantona beat a teammate round the head with the studs of his boots while in France. Going into the crowd at Palace
    I also seem to remember (though I'd have to confirm for evidence ) him hitting or pushing a ref . then there was a few on the pitch bad tackles and a couple of stamping incidents.

My appologies, he threw a ball at a ref:

In December 1991, during a match for Nîmes he threw the ball at the referee, having been angered by one of his decisions. He was summoned to a disciplinary hearing by the French Football Federation and was banned for one month. Cantona responded by walking up to each member of the hearing committee in turn and calling him an "idiot". His ban was increased to three months.

" However, the first of his disciplinary problems had already begun when in 1987 he was fined for punching team mate Bruno Martini in the face " . This is an incident I didnt know about

in January 1989 during a friendly game against Torpedo Moscow he kicked the ball at the crowd and ripped off and threw away his jersey after being substituted. His club responded by banning him for a month

He was very much the badboy in France and far from a model pro .

if he did he did, and im not justifying cantona or letting him off the hook :)

but he just doesnt rate in my eyes compared to barton.

anyway, this is a thread about barton being a gentleman, and i have nothing to add to that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

He was very much the badboy in France and far from a model pro .

not really a danger to society ala barton though

Helix wrote: »
    not really a danger to society ala barton though

Whats Bartons past incidents of fighting outside of football got to it?

Cantona assaulted 2 teammates. Maybe he doesnt get the abuse on the streets that Barton gets?

Theres not as big a gap from the ever so lovely Cantona to the Hitler like Barton than people would like to admit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement