Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Job (Entitlements)

Options
  • 24-05-2009 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Hi,

I'm quitting my job at end of June as I'm going teaching in Asia for a year. I have been working in job since October '08. I've only taken 5 days holidays, so when i leave am I entitled to payment for the balance of holidays? Because i'm quitting rather than being sacked do i lose any entitlements? Also, I'll be unemployed for about 5 weeks before i go to Asia, can I claim dole during this time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

you won't be able to claim dole because you're quitting your job of your own choosing.

As far as your holiday pay, however, you are entitled to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 chipsbebo

That can't be right that i'm not entitled to dole? I'm leaving through unreconsilable differences. Its hard to explain. If your out of work, your out of work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

chipsbebo wrote: »
    That can't be right that i'm not entitled to dole? I'm leaving through unreconsilable differences. Its hard to explain. If your out of work, your out of work?
    It's not quite that simple. If you simply leave a job then you'll render yourself ineligible to claim for a period of time (nine weeks I think). Once this period elapses you'll then be able to claim. In your case there appears to be more to it so I'd suggest that the delay might depend the exact details and on the particular person that deals with your case. Given this and all the other delays currently involved I'd suggest that you'd be very lucky to get a claim through the system before you leave for Asia.

You are entitled to your accrued holiday pay though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

if you're being forced out of the company, can't you get them to say they fired you...

but even then, i think there is a backlog in dole claims

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

If you are leaving for good reason then that can be taken into account.

However, it will be difficult to convince a social welfare officer of that fact when you are in fact leaving to go teach in Asia 5 weeks after your departure from your job.

The dole is for people who are actively searching for and genuinely available for work. Since the short period of time you'll be between jobs is really too short for that to apply, I don't think you're eligible for the dole. Feel free to prove me wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 chipsbebo

Point noted....! Think i was being optimistic and not realistic!

Advertisement