Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bulmers pear (best laxative known to man?)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Bought it just to see if it had the same affect on me as it seems to have had with many people here. No side effects to speak of and I thought it tasted quite nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

placebo effect maybe?

One guy does a thread on it, everyone who reads the thread associate the drink with it, voila its a shot from the bum!

Might have been in my case, cause I remembered this thread when I was buying the drinks on friday and made a crack about the drinks rumoured laxative effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭Quandary

I dunno about this laxative theory....

Ive had more than 5 large bottles of the stuff on more than one occasion and i havent noticed any urgent calls to the bowl :)

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

I had half a pint, thought it tasted foul. Even the smell makes me feel ill, smells like feet. Bullet dodged I think!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I still love this stuff, no effects noticed to date!

• Advertisement

I had half a pint, thought it tasted foul. Even the smell makes me feel ill, smells like feet. Bullet dodged I think!

I really enjoy the taste but i do think it smells a bit like a stale fart so i just dont smell it anymore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭paddy smith

Quandary wrote: »
    I really enjoy the taste but i do think it smells a bit like a stale fart so i just dont smell it anymore!

maybe someone farted into it when you wernt looking:D

maybe someone farted into it when you wernt looking:D

Maybe:( but i doubt they could have farted into every bottle!

unless..... THE BAR STAFF WERE IN ON IT TOO!!!!!!!:mad:

the dastards

• Registered Users Posts: 45 aibby

The same thing happened to my son and his friends at the weekend. They all got the s****ts after drinking that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Cider drinkers deserve everything they get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

On reading this tread after having a laugh ,i had to do some research !

) "Pear cider is used as an alternative name to perry. This is often done for marketing reasons: A recent resurgence in the popularity of perry in the UK has seen various new products launched as 'pear cider', lead by brands such as Brothers and Bulmers. These brewers see the term as being more understandable to the younger 18-34 demographic and a distinction to previous brands associated with the word perry, such as Babycham and Lambrini which are either associated with the female market or have fallen out of fashion."

2) "Perry is from the same family of alcoholic drinks as cider, but uses pear juice instead of apple juice (pear-y, geddit?).
    Just as west-country cider is made from cider apples, so Real Perry is made from perry pears, a very different fruit to those in your fruit salad. Perry pears are small and hard, but the juice they give up can turn into a splendidly complex drink which tends not to be bone dry like real cider. That's because of the special sugars including sorbitol which don't ferment fully out. The sorbitol also has a slight laxative effect, so you don't normally want to drink more than a few halves of perry in one day.
    Perry pear trees were often planted close to the farmhouse and the quantity of perry produced was enough to be appreciated by the farmer's family, while the workers were given cider.
    In Normandy, France, perry is also distilled to make a calvados type drink and an aperitif.
    Perry pear juice mixed with cider apple juice and fermented together, makes another lovely drink which has been dubbed 'pider' for want of a prettier name."

So its the "Sorbitol" effect !

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭RaoulDukeHST

'Dickens Cider' does indeed exist. I have seen it for sale in the US.
    41uaPyBWBFL._SL500_AA280_PIbundle-24,TopRight,0,0_AA280_SH20_.jpg

i wonder if the company who makes jax rolls have anything to do with the making of this new cider :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

I'm actually afraid to try this stuff now! :P

bronte wrote: »
    I'm actually afraid to try this stuff now! :P

try one long neck bottle, but draw the line at that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Hydroquinone

try one long neck bottle, but draw the line at that :D

And keep the bottle for later, if you fancy a challenge.
    If people can do it though the eye of a needle, doing it into the neck of a bottle should be a doddle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

O.M.G :(:(:(:(:(

Just had 2 large bottles of Bulmers Pear about 2 hours ago and my ass now has wooping cough !!!!

Wrecked my brain thinking what it could be ? , decided it must have been the Bulmers Pear so whipped open the Laptop and sure enough my 1st Google hit is this forum ....this stuff will go trough you faster than a FERRARI .

Forget about those expensive spa treatments or colonic irrigation , get down the off ' o , get yourself a six pack of Bulmers Pear , a 12 pack of Pampers and a pack of tissue's (watering eyes) and you are sure of a GOOD AUL CLEANOUT ! :eek:

This stuff will do for your bowl what Agent Orange did to a Vietnam jungle and strip u right down !

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Ivona Tinkle

well if anyone has seen the advert they are taking the piss the workers in the factory are thick gobsheens cant tell a pear from an apple its the most annoying ad ever

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dylano_k

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Ah ffs no one wants to know :(

Hahahahhaha !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Now I haven't any conclusive proof here, but they say the pears cause a clench in the sphinct.

I had about four flagons last night and was walking home when a I got a bit of a wrenching in the lower gut area.

I was with my girlfriend and was a bit embarrassed as I had planned boning her later but the fcukin innards were at bursting point as I passed a park .

"Scuse hon" says I and took off into some shrubbery ,dropped the kex, pointed the muzzle at the bushes and sprayed the fcukers with saffron midden ripe as diced pineapples.

Left the hole well clagged so any intimate stuff had to be put on hold.

Couldn't have her going down on ground zero:cool:

Won't touch the stuff again.

i know it's early days yet, but that might be a contender for post of the month. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭antichrist

Seems to be a 'we don't really care' attitude buy hey....we're only customers!!

'Thank you for reporting your recent experience with Bulmers Pear as we
    accept and welcome all comments and treat them very seriously.

Bulmers Pear does contain a significant level of high quality, pear juice.
    Like prunes, plums and grapes, pear contains naturally occurring
    by-products substances which depending on the quantity consumed and the
    sensitivity of the individual involved, may not agree with every
    individual.

I would stress that these ingredients are NATURALLY OCCURING in the Pear
    Juice and not anything that Bulmers have added to the product.

Moderate consumption of Bulmers Pear should have no effect on the vast
    majority of individuals but obviously, your email and experience suggests
    that you could be more sensitive to pear juice than the vast majority and
    therefore to our Bulmers Pear product as a result.

We have received really positive feedback on Bulmers Pear to date so we are
    disappointed to hear of your experience.

Thank you for getting in touch with Bulmers and bringing your experience to
    our attention.

Please rest assured that we will be discussing this in great detail, and
    that we will update our website with any further developments on Bulmers
    Pear.'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

So they're saying that it's you're own fault if you drink irresponsible amounts of the stuff? Sounds fair to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

antichrist wrote: »
    Seems to be a 'we don't really care' attitude buy hey....we're only customers!!

'Thank you for reporting your recent experience with Bulmers Pear as we
    accept and welcome all comments and treat them very seriously.

Bulmers Pear does contain a significant level of high quality, pear juice.
    Like prunes, plums and grapes, pear contains naturally occurring
    by-products substances which depending on the quantity consumed and the
    sensitivity of the individual involved, may not agree with every
    individual.

I would stress that these ingredients are NATURALLY OCCURING in the Pear
    Juice and not anything that Bulmers have added to the product.

Moderate consumption of Bulmers Pear should have no effect on the vast
    majority of individuals but obviously, your email and experience suggests
    that you could be more sensitive to pear juice than the vast majority and
    therefore to our Bulmers Pear product as a result.

We have received really positive feedback on Bulmers Pear to date so we are
    disappointed to hear of your experience.

Thank you for getting in touch with Bulmers and bringing your experience to
    our attention.

Please rest assured that we will be discussing this in great detail, and
    that we will update our website with any further developments on Bulmers
    Pear.'

Could've at least sent you a few free bottles :pac:

edit: or some kitten soft!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Twas on Ray D'arcy this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Has never happened to me with Koppaberg, Brothers Cider or Rekordig, so I can only assume it's something that's issolated to Bulmers Pear. Either way, I know of three other people that have experienced similar (sloppy) results.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Ginny wrote: »
    Twas on Ray D'arcy this morning.

Really? What was said?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭TobyZiegler

Bulmers sent in pretty much the same reply as to the poster above about it being naturally occuring in the pear juice and it would only affect some people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

DominoDub wrote: »
    So its the "Sorbitol" effect !

Much the same as chewing too much chewing gum

Except there is a warning about the laxative effects on a packet of chewing gum, don't recall seeing it on the Bulmers Pear bottles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

I should have explained more my - the "Sorbital " effect ! it was a pun on "Sore Bottom - Bottle " effect.:o
    Overdose effects

Ingesting large amounts of sorbitol can lead to abdominal pain, gas, and mild to severe diarrhea. Sorbitol ingestion of 20 grams/day as sugar-free gum has led to severe diarrhea leading to unintended weight loss of 24 lbs in a 114 lb woman; another patient required hospitalization after habitually consuming 30 grams/day

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorbital

We need to get to the "Bottom" of this story !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

So they're saying that it's you're own fault if you drink irresponsible amounts of the stuff? Sounds fair to me.

Good man Jack, rock of sense, that's what you are.

What's your idea of a good night out, game of scrabble with your maiden Aunt;)

Advertisement