Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any funnel web spiders in Ireland?

• 24-05-2009 8:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

Hi,

While cleaning out the shower drains at home today I had need to take out one of the outside shower outlet pipes.

On top of the pipe was a 'funnel web' (a web woven in teh shape of a tube with the ouside 'rigedly' open) about 3 cm long.

At the rear of the web was an elongated spider. Body approx 1cm. Long fleshy abdomen. The spider was an olive green/brown colour with a diamond pattern along the centre of its back in darker brown/black.
    Legs were short (no longer than 1 cm also) and forward and backward of the body (not spread).

Sorry, didn't think to take a picture at the time and the spider is gone now :(

The spider was in no way aggressive, but also did not make a dash for safety.

The pipe is a refuge for slugs in the winter/colder months as it seems quite warm around the pipe.

So....are there any native funnel weaving spiders in Ireland?

I've been observing wildlife in Ireland for more than 30 years now and have not seen any webs woven in this pattern here.

Thanks in advance,
    Peter

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

I had seen a spider like that outside of a house I used to rent in south dublin.

It wove a funnel shaped web between our rear sliding glass door and under the overhanging lid of the coal bunker next to it. It was a horrid thing, and when I went up to our glass door to check it out (it was on the outside, me on the inside, thankfully), it jumped straight for me :eek:

I hate spiders... I think they are the most evil creatures on earth! We left a few months later, but I didn't go out the back after that as the OH refused to kill it and it just creeped me out too much (not that it was much of a back garden anyway... it had a little creek running in the back that rats seemed to like, and I don't like rats either unless they're the domesticated varity)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭peterako

Hi PirateShampoo (cool name!),

Not this exact spider, though the descriptive text for the spider and web are very close to my description.

I'm kicking myself for not thinking of taking a photo as soon as I saw it.

The spider I saw had a more elongated abdomen. The pattern was like a series of overlaping dark diamonds on the centre-line of its back.

Also, the spider I saw did not have the pointed protrusions at the end of its abdomen.

Having said all that. I think you must be right on the identification of the spider's family! It's the one that makes the most sense.

The reason for the funnel web construction given in your link sounds like the most reasonable one and is the one that flashed into my mind when I first saw the spider.
    The second (having lived in Australia for a while) was 'take care' :)

Many thanks!

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rachel p123

I joined a National Heritage week walk on Ballydangan bog last Sat.(18th) and saw what I took to be a funnel web, it was placed exactly as one would place a funnel to use it.It appeared to have remains of flies in it.I didn't have a macro lens with me so the resulting photo is poor (no idea how to zoom in on the computer!!)I thought at the time funnel web spiders are dangerous and live in Australia! The group had moved on and so I never got anyone else to look at it and give an opinion.The walk was about encoraging Red Grouse so i doubt spiders would come into it ! Would insert photo .................If I knew how, can do it on ordinary email !
    Rachelp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

We don't have them here. No dangerous spiders.
    Other spiders build similar webs though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 rachel p123

Thanks have just looked at other 'posts' properly and realise I must have seen a labyrinth spider's web.Like spiders, in Aus had to look under lav seats(outside lavs) for redbacks, they're not so nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

The big house spiders you see running across the floor make these 'funnel webs' , well the females do,
    Allthough they make funnel webs, they are not the deadly 'sydney funnel web' from australia, no need to be alarmed.
    The culprits for the funnel shape webs in Ireland are species of the Tegenaria Family.
    They are one of our biggest spiders and a bit scary but harmless nonetheless.
    A5366G.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Saruman wrote: »
    We don't have them here. No dangerous spiders.
    Other spiders build similar webs though.

I know there not dangerous ones but is there any spiders that bite at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

All spiders bite but only a few that you will even notice and at worst you will have an itchy bump.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

Only spiders we have here that can bite are Woodlouse Spiders (dysdera crocata),
    And theyre hard enough to find, Harmless too, It'd be no worse then a sting off a wasp.
    044d72.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

airmax87 wrote: »
    Only spiders we have here that can bite are Woodlouse Spiders (dysdera crocata),
    And theyre hard enough to find, Harmless too, It'd be no worse then a sting off a wasp.
    044d72.jpg

Holy crap!! Cheers for the info :)

Advertisement