Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a car

• 24-05-2009 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hey,
    I'm buying a car this week and was just looking for some advice on a situation i'm having.

The seller owes 2400 on a loan for the car and i'm getting it for 2300.
    He is moving away so says he just wants to clear the loan
    I'm just wondering as I only kind of know the seller what happens if he doesn't pay the loan?
    Will they come after me ? or what are the legal proceedings and is there anyway of guaranteeing that that the loan is paid etc...

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

rossinator wrote: »
    Hey,
    I'm buying a car this week and was just looking for some advice on a situation i'm having.

The seller owes 2400 on a loan for the car and i'm getting it for 2300.
    He is moving away so says he just wants to clear the loan
    I'm just wondering as I only kind of know the seller what happens if he doesn't pay the loan?
    Will they come after me ? or what are the legal proceedings and is there anyway of guaranteeing that that the loan is paid etc...

Cheers

the bank probably owns the vehicle until the debt is cleared i would imagine although i could be wrong on this ,its worth checking out if hes legally allowed to sell a vehicle he doesnt fully own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

He's moving away? He's selling for just a little less than he owes on the finance?

I'd be warey to be honest. I'd want confirmation that the finance is cleared before passing over the money -or- confirmation that the money is being used to clear the finance and the finance company are ok with this etc.

I'd probably avoid it as it sounds like a mess, but that's just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

can you not go into the bank with him and oversee him clearing the finance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

If you buy the car and he stops repayments the bank/finance company can seize the car afaik.
    I'd steer clear if I were you.

This thread might be better off in motors...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Agreed - thread moved to Motors

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

find out where the loan is that is secured on the car.
    they go with the seller and pay the loan off with your cheque then you know its paid.

also dont forget, he may just have a credit union loan on the car or similar. is it a loan secured on the car or just a personal loan used to buy the car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Get a bank draft made out to his finance company. Witness him posting it/depositing it.

If there's finance owing on it, then it's not really his to sell.

If he legs it with your money, the finance company would be within their rights to take the car off you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I have a similar question and an interesting scenario for our hodgepodge of expertise.

Looking at a 535D, did the car check on Motorcheck.ie and it flags a Finance Agreement on it.
    Talked to the Seller, it isnt his Finance, he had no idea!
    Late last year, car was Repossessed then sold by the garage in Dublin. He part-traded a SUV for the BMW in Feb.

He has rang Motorcheck, found out the Bank (Barclays?) and talked to the Garage. The Garage tell him not to worry about it, its just a paperwork issue and they will sort it, the status on Motorcheck.ie hasnt changed since Monday however. He is talking to the Consumer Protection board as he (rightly if he is telling the truth) feels the garage cannot sell a vehicle if there is a Finance agreement on it. They claim there isnt "really" a Finance on it. Back when he was trading for it, he didnt do a Car Check on it as he assumed buying from a Garage meant this cannot happen.

-Surely when a vehicle is repossessed, thats the Finance cleared, by the very act of repossession and resale?
    -Is it possible for a 3rd party to ring the bank (who in the bank is another question!) and clarify they have no Finance on it?
    -Does Finance "expire" after X number of years?

Advertisement