Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

phil 'im a celebrity me' brown

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Dub13 wrote: »

I never mentioned Fulham.

Another poster did.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Can you imagine any of those managers spending less then £7m in a summer transfer window? No, neither can I.

Net spend, yes very easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Considering where they have come from the end result is that they are still in the premier league and thats all that matters, I know.Yes they played well in the first half of the season but were awfuL in the second half of the season, if the teams at the bottom were not so poor they would have gone down. Fulham on the otherhand have played well all season, I don't see the connection.

Only two other times in 12 years has a team finished 7th with 53 points, every other year it's been far higher so you it can easily be argued that Fulham are only were they are becuase the teams below are so poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

Dave! wrote: »
    The 'trip' perhaps being the season in the PL. 'Home' would of course then be the Championship. I thought of it as kind of 'we're not ready to go back to go back down just yet'.

Quite appropriate IMO :)
    So if "home" is the Championship, he's saying that's where they belong? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

he got lucky.
    simple as that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

You just know he'll have a big family barbecue tomorrow,all his family will have to stand and applaud him as he walks into the garden.

He'll be cooking natch,and in the breaks between cooking will be expected to show his singing skills on his kid's Hannah Montana karaoke machine.

He might get this recorded for a stint on sky sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

its pretty clear you just dont like him as a person

can you not acknowledge hes done a good job there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

if they had gone from christmas till now scoring all those points, instead of doing it all before christmas, rightly or wrongly, phil brown would have got a lot more credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

legs11 wrote: »
    You just know he'll have a big family barbecue tomorrow,all his family will have to stand and applaud him as he walks into the garden.

He'll be cooking natch,and in the breaks between cooking will be expected to show his singing skills on his kid's Hannah Montana karaoke machine.

I hope this does happen, and I hope its dedicated to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Why does everyone have such venom for Phil Brown (as a person)? I don't have an opinion of him one way or another, but I've never seen much to suggest he's the horrible person everyone here seems to think he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Mr Maroon wrote: »
    So if "home" is the Championship, he's saying that's where they belong? :D

Just watched him on MOTD and what I think he means is that because he had a few C'ship standard players, he was mighty happy to have survived. I know if I had done what he did with with the resources he had I'd be doing cartwheels around the pitch, while singing !!!

watching the MOTD highlights there, to be fair to Phil Brown didn't come across as badly as he has in the past.

the singing was cringeworthy, to Delia Smith proportions.

his post match interview was also honest enough. championship players playing a 38-game premier league season is a decent enough assessment.

still, generally, he's an orange, attention seeking, lover of everything Phil Brown.

SlickRic wrote: »
    watching the MOTD highlights there, to be fair to Phil Brown didn't come across as badly as he has in the past.

the singing was cringeworthy, to Delia Smith proportions.

his post match interview was also honest enough. championship players playing a 38-game premier league season is a decent enough assessment.

still, generally, he's an orange, attention seeking, lover of everything Phil Brown.

pretty much sums it all up here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Hull Squad and what they cost

1 GK Boaz Myhill £50k
    2 DF Nathan Doyle £100k
    3 DF Andy Dawson Free
    4 MF Ian Ashbee Free
    6 DF Michael Turner £350k
    7 FW Craig Fagan £750k
    8 MF Nick Barmby Free
    9 FW Dean Windass £150k
    10 MF Geovanni Free
    11 MF Bryan Hughes Free
    12 GK Matt Duke £20k
    13 MF Ryan France £15k
    14 MF Richard Garcia Free
    15 DF Bernard Mendy Free
    16 MF Péter Halmosi £2m
    17 MF Kevin Kilbane £500k
    18 FW Caleb Folan £1m
    20 MF George Boateng £1m
    21 DF Sam Ricketts £300k
    22 MF Dean Marney £1m
    24 DF Kamil Zayatte £2.5m
    25 FW Daniel Cousin £1.5m
    27 FW Nicky Featherstone Youth
    28 FW Manucho Loan
    29 DF Matt Plummer Youth
    30 DF Anthony Gardner £2.5m
    31 MF Will Atkinson Youth
    33 MF Jimmy Bullard £5m
    35 DF Liam Cooper Youth
    36 MF Jamie Devitt ?
    38 DF Joe Lamplough ?
    39 DF Steve Gardner ?
    40 FW Ryan Kendall ?
    43 GK Tom Woodhead Youth
    5 DF Wayne Brown £450k
    19 MF John Welsh Swap
    26 GK Tony Warner Free
    32 MF James Bennett Youth
    FW Michael Bridges £350k

Total £19,535,000

Easily the least expensive squad in the PL this season.

When you consider that £5m of the £20m was spent on Jimmy Bullard who played something like 33 mins, it was some achievement for them to stay up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭busted flush

Can you imagine any of those managers spending less then £7m in a summer transfer window? No, neither can I.

yep , Moyes(net).

Phill Brown , loves himself some Phill Brown

Phill Brown is so great he once taught a German Shepard to bark in Spanish!

Phil Brown likes to live vicariously through himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Hull Squad and what they cost

1 GK Boaz Myhill £50k
    2 DF Nathan Doyle £100k
    3 DF Andy Dawson Free
    4 MF Ian Ashbee Free
    6 DF Michael Turner £350k
    7 FW Craig Fagan £750k
    8 MF Nick Barmby Free
    9 FW Dean Windass £150k
    10 MF Geovanni Free
    11 MF Bryan Hughes Free
    12 GK Matt Duke £20k
    13 MF Ryan France £15k
    14 MF Richard Garcia Free
    15 DF Bernard Mendy Free
    16 MF Péter Halmosi £2m
    17 MF Kevin Kilbane £500k
    18 FW Caleb Folan £1m
    20 MF George Boateng £1m
    21 DF Sam Ricketts £300k
    22 MF Dean Marney £1m
    24 DF Kamil Zayatte £2.5m
    25 FW Daniel Cousin £1.5m
    27 FW Nicky Featherstone Youth
    28 FW Manucho Loan
    29 DF Matt Plummer Youth
    30 DF Anthony Gardner £2.5m
    31 MF Will Atkinson Youth
    33 MF Jimmy Bullard £5m
    35 DF Liam Cooper Youth
    36 MF Jamie Devitt ?
    38 DF Joe Lamplough ?
    39 DF Steve Gardner ?
    40 FW Ryan Kendall ?
    43 GK Tom Woodhead Youth
    5 DF Wayne Brown £450k
    19 MF John Welsh Swap
    26 GK Tony Warner Free
    32 MF James Bennett Youth
    FW Michael Bridges £350k

Total £19,535,000

Easily the least expensive squad in the PL this season.

When you consider that £5m of the £20m was spent on Jimmy Bullard who played something like 33 mins, it was some achievement for them to stay up.

oh ya you'd forget about Bullard,he was a big loss to Hull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I can understand the hatred for Brown (particularly among Arsenal fans :)) but i don't agree with it at all.

The Fabregas thing i think was simply a stunt to draw pressure away from his players. And it worked, nobody talked about how badly Hull were playing at the time, but whether Brown was right or wrong to say those things. Anyone remember Mourinho?

The City thing was simply a psychological gamble to get more out of his players. Managers do this kind of thing all the time, although the only difference here was that the general public saw it. AW famously didn't speak to his players during a half time team talk, some players would see this as disrespectful (i know i would) but that team won an FA cup because of it. Tevez was playing the football of his life when it seemed United weren't going to keep him, United may yet lose him over it but they are on course to another double on the back of his performances. It was a gamble, it backfired, end of. While many would prefer to see managers shield his players, on one level at least i commend Brown for trying it.

Apart from that, Brown's done miracles at Hull. I find his candidness and boldness likeable (although grating at times) and i hope he does well with Hull next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

papagormo wrote: »
    just seen him singing there on Premier soccer sunday..jesus he made an ass of himself.whatever makes him happy i suppose.

That's easy. Sunbeds and bluetooth.

Did Phil Brown dump you before the prom or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

This thread is mental!!!

First of all, Everton fans having a go at Phil Brown???? At least he got Hull promoted!!!! Moyes didn't do that with Preston!

Until Phil Brown took over, Hull had never been in the top league, And Hull is a huge huge city to have never experienced top flight football. But Brown got them there.

Now, Hull's second half of the season has been disasterous. But when your first half ever in the top flight includes away victories over Arsenal and Spurs and a draw at Anfield amongst other brilliant results help keep you up, then they deserve it. What the **** did Middlesboro and Newcastle do this season to merit their top flight status.

And as for Phil Brown's performance with the mic after the game?? Listen, when you're living through a generation that has rolling news channels beaming live coverage of the funeral of the likes of Jade Goody , complete with with oul ones throwing flowers at her hearse, accompanied with the soundtracks from the likes of Leona Lewis, Paul Potts, Westlife etc, at least be grateful that at least Phil Brown has achieved something!

phil brown dedication page...:P

The speaking clock rings HIM to ask what the time is.

His name is now being used to describe having a sun tan, I got a right "Phil Brown at the beach this weekend"

phil brown has a forked penis so he can shag two birds at once.

Phil Browns goatee is shaved to represent the roman empire in ad33.

Phil Brown wears a bad leather jacket with fluffy collar in honour of his fave film Memphis Belle

wilt chamberlain once claimed to have had sex with 20,000 women. phil brown had them all for mere foreplay.

lee carlsey winks at phil brown at breakfast time.

Susan Boyle's hair is made from Phil Brown's pjabs

Phil Brown's bluetooth dongle is connected straight to God.

phil brown stopped the four horsemen of the apocalypse with his mind techniques and stare alone.

Phil Brown took over from God on the seventh day.

Phil Brown will have a number one hit with 'Claw Of The Tigers' in July.

Phil Brown thinks in Morse code so nobody can read his mind.

Phil Brown's tan is not only 100% real, but he flew to, and bathed on, the Sun to get it.

Lee Carsley wears Phil Browns reject pyjama.s

'Speedos' are being renamed 'Brownos'.

phil brown wrote sloop john b and the rest of the beach boys' pet sounds album.

Phil Brown doesn,t go to the sunbed shop.....the sunbed shop comes to him.

Phil Brown's beard is so "man", Brian Blessed tried to kill himself when he saw it.

Phil Brown completes the Times crossword each morning while blindfolded.

Edison idolized Da Vinci. Da Vinci was Phil Brown.

when phil brown is completing sudoku the empty boxes fill in themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

phil brown dedication page...:P

The speaking clock rings HIM to ask what the time is.

His name is now being used to describe having a sun tan, I got a right "Phil Brown at the beach this weekend"

phil brown has a forked penis so he can shag two birds at once.

Phil Browns goatee is shaved to represent the roman empire in ad33.

Phil Brown wears a bad leather jacket with fluffy collar in honour of his fave film Memphis Belle

wilt chamberlain once claimed to have had sex with 20,000 women. phil brown had them all for mere foreplay.

lee carlsey winks at phil brown at breakfast time.

Susan Boyle's hair is made from Phil Brown's pjabs

Phil Brown's bluetooth dongle is connected straight to God.

phil brown stopped the four horsemen of the apocalypse with his mind techniques and stare alone.

Phil Brown took over from God on the seventh day.

Phil Brown will have a number one hit with 'Claw Of The Tigers' in July.

Phil Brown thinks in Morse code so nobody can read his mind.

Phil Brown's tan is not only 100% real, but he flew to, and bathed on, the Sun to get it.

Lee Carsley wears Phil Browns reject pyjama.s

'Speedos' are being renamed 'Brownos'.

phil brown wrote sloop john b and the rest of the beach boys' pet sounds album.

Phil Brown doesn,t go to the sunbed shop.....the sunbed shop comes to him.

Phil Brown's beard is so "man", Brian Blessed tried to kill himself when he saw it.

Phil Brown completes the Times crossword each morning while blindfolded.

Edison idolized Da Vinci. Da Vinci was Phil Brown.

when phil brown is completing sudoku the empty boxes fill in themselves

What the f*ck??? Phil Brown is the new Chuck Norris??? Listen, i respect what he's done with Hull City, but he ain't no Chuck Norris!!!

you better believe it lid

he will be on britains got talent next season

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Will be nice to have him around for another year and see him crying when his team are rooted to the bottom of the table. Phil brown only cares about phil brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

I really can't understand all this abuse towards Phil Brown...sure he might not please everybody with his antics and his demeanour but I say 'fair play to him'. He got Hull City into the premiership and kept them there, which is a an excellent achievement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Same, I actually like Phil Brown, think he's a bit of a character. He said in the post-match interview that he hopes to be getting in 4-5 new players in the summer. If he does and they work out then I can see Hull saying up again, otherwise they are down next season:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

See Hull are priced @ 5-2 to be relegated next year in the early prices - now that looks good as they are rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Warper wrote: »
    See Hull are priced @ 5-2 to be relegated next year in the early prices - now that looks good as they are rubbish.

If I had cash i could invest for a year Id be havin a piece of this! Really hoped they would go down. Phil Brown is a 100% twat. Sick of the sight of him.

That performance at half-time sums him up. A mé-feiner. Couldn't watch yesterday him at the end. An absolute sickner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Supermanscat

In terms of management he done well to keep a newly promoted team up

But as a person, he's not my favourite at all..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

The only good thing about Hull staying up is that I get to see them go down next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

This seasons Neil Warnock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Poor manager, great start but it all fell apart after his antics keeping the team on the pitch at half time against Man City on boxing day iirc, stupid decision by him imo. I was hoping Newcastle would go down all season but i wouldn;t have been sad if Hull went down instead of them. They'll go down next season anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Dearg81

Warper wrote: »

Where did u see that price? have u got a link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭JCos

He's an egotistical prick, I was praying for Newcastle to equalise against Villa to see that clown go down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,135 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the guardian's take on it sums him up:

"Has there ever been a more shameless spectacle than that of Phil Brown, the man whose public humiliation of his players during a defeat to Manchester City prompted one of the most dramatic falls from grace ever witnessed, tooting loudly on his own horn after Hull avoided relegation only because of the ineptitude of the teams below them?"

the table doesn't lie - Hull got 35 points, ergo they are sh!t and are damn lucky to have stayed up. If there was any justice all of the bottom 5 would be sent down... none of them showed any sort of fighting spirit at the tail end of the season (except, ironically WBA who were already doomed).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Phil Brown did a job with a very poor squad and a lot of cast off players. Newcastle with their overpaid "stars" still finished below Hull.

Great to see a minnow survive and a fat cat not get the cream;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Dearg81 wrote: »
    Where did u see that price? have u got a link?

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/barclays-premiership/relegation

Skybet had them @ 5-2 this morning so obv. a lot of people got on - now they are 6-4. Check it again tomorrow as other bookies will price it up. I think Birm and Wolves have a good chance of staying up I will be looking at Hull and Stoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Same, I actually like Phil Brown, think he's a bit of a character.

exactly

ive never understood why people seem so intent on wanting the characters out of the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Helix wrote: »
    exactly

ive never understood why people seem so intent on wanting the characters out of the game

The subject may be English football, but so long as the post board is Irish begrudgery will be rampant.

Helix wrote: »
    exactly

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The subject may be English football, but so long as the post board is Irish begrudgery will be rampant.

speaking for myself, i don't want him out of the game; i simply think he comes across as a self-indulgent prat, who thinks he's better than he actually is.

it's also nothing to do with being Irish, or that i'm begrudging him, i just don't think he's very pleasant. i suspect the same may be said of others here.

even Alan Hansen on MOTD last night said as much about Phil Brown...

'a little less publicity on himself might be better next season' (obviously paraphrasing a little bit).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I'd say Phil couldn't give 2 fooks what people outside the club think.

A remarkable achievement getting Hull into the premeir league, an even more remarkable achievement keeping them there.

I don't agree with what he did keeping the players on the pitch at half time against City, but he had to try something, it was the 8th goal they had conceeded in under 2 hours of football. I think some of the players started to believe their own hype after some good results, especially the Liverpool and Arsenal matches.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I look forward to seeing the liar get sacked/relegated next season. Quite how they managed to get off to the start they did this season I don't know, because they've been pretty damn awful since December. 9 points from their last 22 league games.

• Advertisement

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    I like what he's done.

He's taken a small club to a very unepected promotion and a very unexpected survival.

Dont really care what he's like as a person but i mean anything that happened today was due to overwhelming emotion.

You are right to be fair. He is a good manager and ultimately did bring them from near the bottom of championship to the premier league, however he clearly loves the camera on him and loves the publicity and the controversy he causes. It has done Hull Football Club no favours whatsoever. Hull are a nice side to watch - i've nothing against them but Brown would really want to cop on and keep his eye on the ball. that stunt he pulled on boxing day by rollicking his players on the pitch was bizarre, unprofessional, naive and utter stupid

Hull have got like 2 points since december or someting...!

rubbish

they only stayed up cos Boro and Newcastle were worse.

I think you are on to something there. Hull were in free fall. Had Newcastle scored an equaliser yesterday or even not conceded at all they were gonners. Indeed i think brown lost the dressing room on boxing day and i think the next 3 months are crucial for hulls premier league survival. he needs to bring in the right men, keep his head down and slowly win his players around. Personally tho i think he will be a good bet on first managerial casualty next season as hull are no longer the surprise package they were the season gone. im not sure sunderland would go for him either. Keane has generated too much negative publicity and brown certainly would not help that matter. hes never far away from it if last season is anything to go by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Hull have got like 2 points since december or someting...!

rubbish

they only stayed up cos boro and newcastle were worse.

That's generally how it works. :)

Advertisement