Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Reserve and shift work

• 24-05-2009 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hi all...

Sorry if this question has already been answered, I had a look around and couldnt find anything similar.

I work shift work but I am really interested in joining the reserves. Is it possible to join working shift work? If I am succesful in gaining entry, is my job obligated to give me time off for training or what way dows it work?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Hi all...

Sorry if this question has already been answered, I had a look around and couldnt find anything similar.

I work shift work but I am really interested in joining the reserves. Is it possible to join working shift work? If I am succesful in gaining entry, is my job obligated to give me time off for training or what way dows it work?

Thanks for your help!

AFAIK your company is not obligated to give you time off.

Also when you join the reserves it is preferable to assign you to one particular unit. Thats how its done in my station anyway but I suppose it could be worked around. I saw recently one reserve in my station who has been assigned to another unit, worked with us for two nights in one weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

OP as Nog said above your employment is not obliged to give you time off as the Reserves is voluntary work by you in your spare time.

As I also work shift-work your questions are something I have thought about myself and my employers have already told me they can promise, for the most part anyways, that I won't be working back-to-back shifts i.e. if I finish at 6am as Reserve, that I won't be working my own job at 7am for the majority of the time I'll be working those shifts. I'm sure any employment will be fair in that regard, when they can, anyways. It obviously won't be possible all the time though.

OP, have you applied on publicjobs for the Reserves or still thinking about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭White_Feather

kerry4sam wrote: »
    OP as Nog said above your employment is not obliged to give you time off as the Reserves is voluntary work by you in your spare time.

As I also work shift-work your questions are something I have thought about myself and my employers have already told me they can promise, for the most part anyways, that I won't be working back-to-back shifts i.e. if I finish at 6am as Reserve, that I won't be working my own job at 7am for the majority of the time I'll be working those shifts. I'm sure any employment will be fair in that regard, when they can, anyways. It obviously won't be possible all the time though.

OP, have you applied on publicjobs for the Reserves or still thinking about it?

I havent applied yet. Not a matter of thinking about it anymore, I really want to do it...its just working my hours out in work that is stopping me. My boyfriend has applied for it so fingers crossed he gets it!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I havent applied yet. Not a matter of thinking about it anymore, I really want to do it...its just working my hours out in work that is stopping me. My boyfriend has applied for it so fingers crossed he gets it!!!

I have always thought that what is meant to be will be & everything will always work out in the end. I reckon if you yourself want to join up also, just go for it. You will be waiting some time to complete the process anyways & at least you won't be wondering about the position but making some definite plans for yourself.

Advertisement