Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Pundits teams of the season

• 24-05-2009 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Giles, Stevens and Wheelan put forward thier 11s of the season all three picked Gerrard, Torres, Alonso, Ronaldo and Rooney which is fair enough, while the likes of Rio, Vidic, Lampard, Ireland, (Glenn) Johnson, Jaskelinen, VDS made an appearance or two.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Thought that there team was actually ok with the exception of Howard in goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

I can't remember any Chelsea players in any of the teams. Boswinga deserving of a place maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Yeah, possibly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Thought that there team was actually ok with the exception of Howard in goals.
    I agree with Howard in goals. Imo the best goalkeeper by miles in the PL this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Ardent wrote: »
    I can't remember any Chelsea players in any of the teams. Boswinga deserving of a place maybe?
    Lampard surely worth a shout too. 12 goals and 10 assists in the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Any chance of listing what team each of them went for tks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

lampard has been criminally underestimated this season imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sorry my mind lacks that power of recall. But no Arsenal player got a mention that I recall and only one Chelsea player did - Lamps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

giles team-
    howard
    jageailka
    vidic
    baines
    glen johnson
    alonso
    lampard
    gerrard
    rooney
    ronaldo
    torres

trevors team-
    jaaskelinen
    vidic
    ferdinand
    evra
    glen johnson
    fletcher
    alonso
    gerrard
    rooney
    ronaldo
    torres

ronnies team-
    VDS
    vidic
    ???
    evra
    johnson
    alonso
    lampard
    rooney
    ronaldo
    gerrard
    torres

dammit. if only i could remember the centre back in ronnies team. im quite impressed with myself tho for getting them :p

mike65 wrote: »
    Sorry my mind lacks that power of recall. But no Arsenal player got a mention that I recall and only one Chelsea player did - Lamps.

What??? no mention for Eboue :p They have lost the plot imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Was it Hangerland (sp)?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Serious lack of Schwarzer

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Lampard deserves his place in the team, he really has been very very good this year. He's so often overlooked but is one of the best players in the world, as Mourinho used to constantly point out.

Good to see some people acknowledging Fletcher, he really has been outstanding this year, stepped up from squad player to real first choice. The question is can he push on and challenge Hargreaves now

Serious lack of Schwarzer

+1

He would be my goalkeeper of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

No golden boot winner up front for any of them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

This season I would have went for maybe the leagues top goal scorer over Torres.

PHB wrote: »
    Good to see some people acknowledging Fletcher, he really has been outstanding this year, stepped up from squad player to real first choice. The question is can he push on and challenge Hargreaves now

for me, hargreaves has to earn his place back.

at a time when Scholes has waned, Giggs could only play some of the games, where Carrick doesn't really ever dominate, and Anderson has yet to make the step up (though i think he eventually will), Fletcher has grafted, no more than that, he's run his fair share of games for a championship winning team.

hargreaves, though probably more talented, should need to prove himself big time when he makes his return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

SlickRic wrote: »
    hargreaves, though probably more talented, should need to prove himself big time when he makes his return.

if he ever returns

Im one of those that think Hargreaves will always be a crocked

Headshot wrote: »
    Im one of those that think Hargreaves will always be a crocked

wouldn't argue with that one bit.

which is why you were so fortunate fletcher made the step up like he did this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Giggs didnt get a single vote ? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Tusky wrote: »
    Giggs didnt get a single vote ? :)
    Maybe they didn't feel the need to offer the sympathy vote like the PFA did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Quazzie wrote: »
    Maybe they didn't feel the need to offer the sympathy vote like the PFA did.

I don't think sympathy is the right word. Really don't think the members of the PFA feel sorry for Giggs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

More sentimental than sympathy - which just makes the award even more irrelevant than it already was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I don't think sympathy is the right word. Really don't think the members of the PFA feel sorry for Giggs.

Agreed
    PiE wrote: »
    More sentimental than sympathy - which just makes the award even more irrelevant than it already was.

Sentimental is a more apt word. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Was it Hangerland (sp)?
    Nah, he went for Jagielka as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

eagle eye wrote: »
    I agree with Howard in goals. Imo the best goalkeeper by miles in the PL this season.

G'way out of that.

Yes he was good but 'miles' better than Schwarzer? That's just plain silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

Smegball wrote: »
    This season I would have went for maybe the leagues top goal scorer over Torres.

I wouldn't consider him consistent enough. He was a bit like Hull and their points; he got loads of goals at the start but in the second half of the season he hardly scored any. I am a Chelsea fan by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Was it Hangerland (sp)?

He wasn't mentioned in any.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

PiE wrote: »

While I agree that Giggs getting it was a sentimental outcome, I disagree that the PFA player of the year is irrelevant, take the last ten;

Roy Keane Manchester United
    Teddy Sheringham Manchester United
    Ruud van Nistelrooy Manchester United
    Thierry Henry Arsenal
    Thierry Henry Arsenal
    John Terry Chelsea
    Steven Gerrard Liverpool
    Cristiano Ronaldo Manchester United
    Cristiano Ronaldo Manchester United
    Ryan Giggs Manchester United

I think it's quite a nice addition to anyones cv.

• Advertisement
Advertisement