Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

middle name for baby.

Options
  • 24-05-2009 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭

We're going in to register the baby soon, we have already decided to call him Cillian but can't agree on a middle name. I don't have a middle name and don't think it's that important, so I thought it would be funny to give the child "danger" as his middle name.

Cillian's mother also thinks its funny, but disagrees that funniness is a good criteria to use when deciding on our child's life long name.

My perspective is that at worst it's harmless, and at best...., we'll it's funny, and it could stand to him in all kinds of ways in the future

"Vote for me, Cillian 'danger' ******"

or; Hey, Babe, don't ya know, danger, is my middle name....etc

We're genuiney interested in your reaction to this as Cillian's future life could depend on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

The Be-Sharps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

It certainly would be hilarious. I don't think anyone actually looks at/knows anyones middle name. But then again, it may be a case of better safe than sorry and picking a more normal name.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The-Rigger wrote: »
    The Be-Sharps!

i getcha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

He'll get a middle name at his confirmation

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I like it, it certainly is unique!!

Do whatever you feel is right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I'd say go for it... to be honest you see some celebrity babies with weirder names (Pilot Inspektor anybody???).

Just touching on this, could a registrar refuse to register a baby if they thought the name is horrendously ridiculous?? I mean what about that poor child Tallulah Does The Hula From Hawaii??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

I've heard of a few people who have done this. Not as original (or funny) as you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Five years time in a junior infants classroom....

"Cillian, Danger O'Reilly! I said put down your crayon!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

TBH I've never heard of a teacher using a middle name before...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Akrasia wrote: »
    We're going in to register the baby soon, we have already decided to call him Cillian but can't agree on a middle name. I don't have a middle name and don't think it's that important, so I thought it would be funny to give the child "danger" as his middle name.

Cillian's mother also thinks its funny, but disagrees that funniness is a good criteria to use when deciding on our child's life long name.

My perspective is that at worst it's harmless, and at best...., we'll it's funny, and it could stand to him in all kinds of ways in the future

"Vote for me, Cillian 'danger' ******"

or; Hey, Babe, don't ya know, danger, is my middle name....etc

We're genuiney interested in your reaction to this as Cillian's future life could depend on it.

I know of a girl with Danger as a middle name. Danger's a GIRL'S name :) iIt would certainly give him a conversation starter for later life!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I'd imagine all 'funny' middle names become old fairly fast and persist as a source of embarrassment to the individual afflicted with them. Not to mention a testament to the stupidity of the person(s) who lumbered them with it in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

I'd imagine all 'funny' middle names become old fairly fast and persist as a source of embarrassment to the individual afflicted with them. Not to mention a testament to the stupidity of the person(s) who lumbered them with it in the first place.

That's a bit harsh . . .

OP, you might be setting him up well for a sporting career . . think Rocky Elsom . .

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Better safe than sorry IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭CapedCrusader

Think of your wedding day. How happy would you be as the minister/registrar reads out your name if your parents gave you a funky middle name because they thought it was funny.

Personally, I don't think your child's name is something to be used for a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

You could name him Cillian Dan Ger ***** thereby avoiding giving him an embarrassing middle name but you could nick name him danger from his middle 2 names! Everybody wins. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

TBH I've never heard of a teacher using a middle name before...

Happened fairly often in the schools I went to.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

We gave our daughter a funky middle name. Nothing mortifying, but something kinda girly she'll probably actually like herself.

I have to say I think "Danger" would be a mistake though. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

If your surname was Zone it would be 50 shades of win :pac:

Seriously though, not much harm in it really...BlueBell's idea was pretty good too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Jokes get old. They are only funny the first time really. This name is going on passports.

*I dont think it's that funny. I don't actually get the joke in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

i heard somewhere that Billy Joe Armstrong named his kid Jakob Danger...for the same reasons as you!have to say, although it'll be funny for a year,he's got to live with it forever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Dumb

When he does a state examination his name will be on the exam hall wall along with his exam number.

Cue the Bullying............................................................

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

It's a bit retarded, I don't get parents who think lumbering their child with a stupid name for a joke is a good idea.

It will be on his passport, called out at his degree ceremony if he gets that far, wedding vows. There are plenty of places his full name will be used. Funny to you, but have some regard for your child.

It will sound especially stupid if he doesn't live up to his name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭zoology lady

To be fair, I don't think it'll effect him that badly. He may think it was stupid joke but as a person with more than one badly choosen middle name it's not the end of the world.
    It was never used in my primary school, I had it taken off my passport when I renewed my passport at 14, not a big deal. As for the name on his Degree it'll only appear on it if he registers it when registering in college. So if you give it him he can take it or leave, his choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Gabsdot

I know a couple who did this to one of their children. I'm sure the kid won't mind but it's silly if you ask me.
    I prefer traditional ordinary names.
    For a middle name why not pick a family name

Advertisement