Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need boots?

Options
  • 24-05-2009 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I'll be taking a trip later this year and as far as I can ascertain, I'll be doing a lot of walking. However, it will be pretty much on level streets and paved alleyways. There may be some slopes, but nothing mountainous. On top of that, I'll be stopping quite a lot to take in sights, etc.

In an effort to build up my stamina and fitness, I've started doing short walks around my area (4-6km), but the last few have been pretty painful. The usual shin splints, etc. I blame the runners I'm using, they're about 4 years old and not in the best shape. Since I'll probably get a new pair and soon (as I need to spend time breaking them in), should I actually splash on a pair of walking boots instead? I like the walks I've been doing and there are hillwalking clubs in my area which I might look into once I've gotten over the whole "pain in my left leg after 100m" thing I've got going on, so walking boots might serve me better than another pair of runners.

Or are walking boots overkill for what is essentially walking on country roads and pavements?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭notnem

I use my walking boots even when walking on pavements (I don't know if this helps).

I also use a shin splint supports which work wonders. There are exercises you can do to strengthen the muscles around your shins. They haven't bothered me this year, but they did last year and I reckon it was down to bad shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Instead of getting hiking boots or using standard runners you could get a pair of "approach" shoes. These are outdoor shoes that offer good support for your foot and have good soles.
    I have 2 pairs at the moment and I wear them everyday when Im not working. The company that makes them is called Merell. The 2 pairs I own are

http://www.merrell.co.uk/en-GB/Shop/Product.aspx?AltNavID=MAF-G-MLT&PID=15379&GST=M

and

http://www.merrell.co.uk/en-GB/Shop/Product.aspx?SID=30015&AltNavID=MAF-G-MLT

A few years ago I walked just over 200km (on roads) in 10 days in a pair of Salomon approach/hiking shoes. They were very comfortable. It could be worth having a look at their "hiking" range here http://www.salomonsports.com/uk/#/footwear/footwear/hiking

But as shoes go now, I'll only be using Merell for the foreseeable future.

The best thing though is to go to the outdoor shops and try on as many brands and styles as possible. What I find comfortable and you find comfortable could be two different things.

Oh.. and dont skimp on your shoes... its all well and good saving a few bob, but of your feet are fooked from a bad pair you'll be walking nowhere.

On the shin splints thing I cant help you Im afraid. There are lots of knowledgeable people in this fourm so thay may be of help to ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I've checked all other posts on this board and the general advice is to go to b+m store and try to find something that's comfortable, so that's my plan, but I just wonder whether I even need boots, considering the hiking style I'm currently doing (and also for the forseeable).

A pair of runners is a lot cheaper than a decent pair of boots, and I'm not convinced the price difference will be repaid due to the fact that I (currently) do most of my hiking in places where people can push prams :)

I have a pair of Meindl boots for scrambling, and then just ordinary standard Nike runners for walking on roads, and find that I try and stay in the runners as long as possible. I mean, the boots are great and have kept me dry and injury free on the worst surfaces, on terrain that was just inaccessible in runners. But, on a tarred road and even on better trails, I find runners more comfortable, and you can get a decent pair in some factory outlet centre (like the Nike store in Killarney) or a Heatons for €50. If a pram can stand up to the surface, I have no doubt that decent runners would too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

That's my thinking on it, Conor. Why spend upwards of 200 spods on a decent pair of boots if all I'm doing is walking down the n25? Of course, I also suspect that if I buy some expensive boots, I'd be more inclined to venture off-road, but who knows?

• Advertisement
Advertisement