Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap healthy eating

• 24-05-2009 10:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering how easy/hard is it to eat healthy when your broke. I'm fairly broke now and I've decided to start to eat healthy again. I want to try get more oily fish into my diet (omega 3) I don't even know how much it costs, I do know salmon is expensive but any other fish I don't have a clue. I can eat healthy and I can eat on a budget (used to do a weeks shopping on about €20) but I don't know if I can buy healthy food cheaply.

Is their anyone eating healthy and not spending much doing it?
    I'm going to try but it'd be nice if I knew it was achievable.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Mac Masters

Well I recently started a healthy diet outlook myself! Tuna (canned) is cheap, not the worst in the world either. Porridge is never too expensive wherever you go. If you visit the likes of Lidl and Aldi you can usually find cheap fruit and veg. It depends really on the cereals, nuts and wholemeal breads you buy, they can be expensive but there are always cheap alternatives if you look hard enough. So it really depends on what the diet you want consists of?

But I think it would be possible to buy healthy and cheaply!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

A big bag of carrots will set you back about a euro. A big bag of onions for about 70 cents. Eggs are cheap. Milk. Water instead of juice and fizzy drinks. Bananas and apples aren't too much either. I tend not to eat very much meat and stick to vegetarian alternatives as they're way cheaper and they're very easy to cook.

People seem to think that eating healthily costs a fortune. You don't need expensive healthy breads or things like that. You don't need bread at all.

What are you currently eating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Orla K wrote: »
    I want to try get more oily fish into my diet (omega 3) I don't even know how much it costs, I do know salmon is expensive but any other fish I don't have a clue.

I buy tins of wild red salmon in lidl for only 2e and sardines which are another great source of Omega 3 are even cheaper.

Advertisement