Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best river map available EPA?

Options
  • 24-05-2009 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭

the EPA, environmental protection agency, has an excellent river map of Ireland but its quite tricky to use and small lakes are not clearly marked.

but it seems to be the best out there.

google maps, and i'm a huge fan, has been a horrible let down, many lakes and rivers and streams unmarked or unnamed.

any of you gentlemen recommend on online source which is ultra sticky on waterways?

edit: coolwings i will give you one euro each for 20 of your favourite flies, but you have to tell me what they're called and when is best to use them.

i spent the entire day today on the Nanny river outside Duleek which is the first river i ever fished in the 80's. I didnt see a single rise nor the shadow of a single fish. i paid 50 euro for my licence today, somewhat concerned now. but its still a lovely little river. hope theres not a problem with dumping or net fishing as in the past. anyone know the Nanny?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The OSI Mapviewer is pretty cool, the "Land Registry" view highlights rivers/lakes pretty well, and you can use the Arial views to see more detail.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

OSI for me too - best public maps in town ... or I shgould say ... aerial view.
    There are two dates it was scanned -so toggle between the two and see which view shows your water the better.

But sometimes the google earth view is taken at a better water level, like eg low water in summer, so you can get another second opinion. Pity GE doesn't have a high res scan of every place in ireland, so depends on where you are.

Then go to www.flashearth.com It's a hack into many map systems, and you can jump from one to the next. Unfortunately GE doesn't work on flashearth now since their last upgrade. The Ask.com option (map-ask? - askmaps? I get it via flashearth) is great near built up areas.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

@ Docfarrell:
    Thanks for the compliment. :-)
    No sweat. I have "specials" for many situations, which I would be able to give you, say, also could provide say 3 names of commercial available patterns that are intended for the same situation as each one of my own, for when you're in this or that tackle shop and looking at the "normal" solutions. Of course, once you've seen them, you know what you want, even if the name is obscure, you can pick by appearance and size.
    I have to tie up a grundle of flies this week some evening as I've been teaching a beginner pal to fly fish last 2 weeks and the rate my flies were being cracked off, left in the bushes, and struck off in the fish ..... some serious gaps have appeared in my fly wallets! But he's doing the business now so it's been in a good cause.
    PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

stevenmu wrote: »
    The OSI Mapviewer is pretty cool, the "Land Registry" view highlights rivers/lakes pretty well, and you can use the Arial views to see more detail.

this is the coolest thing that i have ever seen.

has all the archeological sites, i zoomed in a bit more it gave me frickin pictures! i'm freaked out by this.
    i found the name of the cove where last weekend i put my head over a little bridge and saw a dozen sea trout scarpering. they weren't mullet coz i live by the dodder and know me mullet.
    the hair on the back of my head is standing up still. i'm going to be at this site for another 6 hours.

i'm gonna put this link on my signature, thanks again.

coolwings, i'll try the others later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

this should be a sticky. as a newcomer, thats the handyest tool i've found on the net!

• Advertisement
Advertisement