Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming fighting game events in Ireland.

• 24-05-2009 11:50pm
    Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭

Several computer gaming events are coming up and most of them are hosting Street Fighter 4 competitions.

I have talked with the SF IV tournament admin for Gamecon and the overall admin I think for A New Hope lan.

1. Gamecon 15.
    Primarly a PC based gaming event run at the Lucan Spa Hotel Dublin, Starting on Friday 2009-06-19 at 21:00 running to Sunday 2009-06-21 09:00

Number of attendees is 70.

Price of admission is €31.50 and its a pre-pay only event.

Internet provided.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055571655

The SF IV compeition is being run on a single Xbox 360 on a regular TV (I was not told if it was an SD/HDTV or widescreen). Its unkown what prizes will be on offer but you can expect a few spot prizes.
    Format of the compeition is a 1 game (5 rounds) single elimination.
    No characters are banned.
    I'm sure if there is interest seeding can be done.
    Not sure on which day and at what time the compeition is hosted at.

Have put foward the idea of people going only for the SF IV event and not bringing a PC or console paying a lower entry fee. I'd don't think its possible as space will probably be tight but will let you know.

2. A New Hope
    A new 48 hours PC lan is being hosted at the Days Hotel, Park West, Dublin 12 starting at 17:00 3rd of July to 17:00 5th July.

Number of attendees is 60.

Admission price is €30.00
    People attending for SF IV only and not bringing a PC/Console will be charged the reduced rate of €20.00. Each admission price allows the attendee to stay for the whole event.

Again admission is prepay only!

Internet is provided.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055571577

The SF IV compeition format is as follows.
    Will be hosted on 2xPC's that will be using large projectors for screens.
    Plenty of viewing space for spectators.
    It will be a double elimination event.
    Seeding can be peformed if preferred.
    The prize for winning will be €100 if 10 people enter, if less people enter it will be lowered and increased if more people enter) with smaller spot prizes for runners up.
    Time and day of comeptition to be clarified)

4 places can be reserved for consoles/pcs that have enough space for 2 people to play (i.e enough space for 2 players). Users bringing these machines will have to pay the full entry fee. (they could always charge a small fee to those other people playing on there machines to recoup the added expense)

3. Molotov Gaming
    Hosting a 250+ attendee PC event in the Recreational Hall, Athy, Co. Kildare
    Date provisionally set for July 24th-26th
    Duration of event will be 48 hours - Friday 6pm until Sunday 6pm.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055557232

As for fighting game competitions I'm not sure yet, Street Fighter 4 is listed as a played game, as of this moment I have not yet been able to contact the admins yet so I have no details of any competitions yet.

4.Midlans
    Expected to be on in August at its usual venue of the community hall in Street Co.Westmeath. I will be hosting an SF IV event on the PC at that.
    www.midlans.net

5.Q-Con 16
    A 3 day annual convention in Queens University in Belfast on the 26th to 28th June 2009, hosted by Dragonslayers (Northern Irelands established fighting game community, among other things ;)), the Queen’s University Belfast Gaming and Anime Society.

Attendance ranges into several hundreds.

Admission is £8 sterling per day or £15 for the whole event. Compeitions are either free of cost an additional £1.00.

Unlike the lans listed above this is not an overnight event so accomadation is required if you want to attend for more than one day.
    You will find details on the site listed below. But accomadation can he had for as little as €20.00

http://www.q-con.org.uk/index.php

The event covers a while spectrum of interests.

But of interest to the fighting game community are these 5 competitions.

Guilty Gear XX Accent Core hosted on 2xPS2's on Frieday evening.
    Street Fighter III - 3rd Strike hosted on 2xPS2's on Saturday morning.
    Street Fighter IV (hosted on 2x TBA consoles) on Satuday afternoon.
    Battle Fantasia hosted on 2xXbox 360's on Sunday morning.
    Super Smash Brothers. Brawl to be hosted on 2xWii's on Sunday morning.
    Tekken 5: Dark Ressurection to be host on 2xPS3's on Sunday Afternoon.

You can expect these competitions to be well run as these guys have been running these for years and the know the figthing game scene well.
    Prizes are TBA.

I also posted this thread at shoryuken.com
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?p=6767598#post6767598
    and over on the Neo Empire forums.
    http://neoempire.com/forum/showthread.php?p=166932#post166932

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Awesome, must try to get to Belfast so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Azza wrote: »
    2. A New Hope
    A new 48 hours PC lan is being hosted at the Days Hotel, Park West, Dublin 12 starting at 17:00 3rd of July to 17:00 5th July.

Number of attendees is 60.

Admission price is €30.00
    People attending for SF IV only and not bringing a PC/Console will be charged the reduced rate of €20.00. Each admission price allows the attendee to stay for the whole event.

Again admission is prepay only!

Internet is provided.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055571577

The SF IV compeition format is as follows.
    Will be hosted on 2xPC's that will be using large projectors for screens.
    Plenty of viewing space for spectators.
    It will be a double elimination event.
    Seeding can be peformed if preferred.
    The likely prize will for winning will be €100, with smaller spot prizes for runners up. (this is not 100% confirmed but is probable).
    Time and day of comeptition to be clarified)

4 places can be reserved for consoles/pcs that have enough space for 2 people to play (i.e enough space for 2 players). Users bringing these machines will have to pay the full entry fee. (they could always charge a small fee to those other people playing on there machines to recoup the added expense)

20 places reserved for fighter attendees. Also, entry free is dropped to €20 for those also. We'll have 2 projectors (1 PC from Azza) and hoping to have a PC on both. We may need another PC or 2 if there demand is there.

Prize fund will be €100 if 10 people enter but will reduce/increase if the attendees do. Internet connection is available so you can play over your usual software like you would at home when the competition is not running. PS3/XBox 360 can be brought if the demand is there for it. It's running for 48 hours so you'll have plenty of gaming time!

Signups can be found here.

Thanks for posting that Azza........I mean Stavanger! :pac:

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I assume you mean by 20 places reserved space for up to machines with 2 players at each?

Azza wrote: »
    I assume you mean by 20 places reserved space for up to machines with 2 players at each?

20 people. If there was space for 20 machines I would! So 10 spaces for 2 people each. 2 of those spaces will be the 2 the projectors.

Edit: given the hassle for most fighting players, I don't expect that many but the allowance is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Ah cr*p! All in July. I won't be able to come down to any of those :(

• Advertisement

Folks we're postponing the SF4 part of our event for a while. We're hoping to run a serious of events and SF4 will probably be a part of our console competition towards the end of the summer. Apologies. I'll keep you posted on future events.

Advertisement