Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steak and Guinness pie

Options
  • 25-05-2009 12:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭

on several occasions i've made stews with german dunkelwizen (erdinger or weihenstephaner). but i want to make a pie with guinness. Any tips on how to thicken up the filling without turning it into a vile flour filled sticky mess.

in terms of recipe i'd be using virtually the same as i use in my stew. ie. stewing steak, carrotts, celery, s&p, worcerstershire sauce, wholegrain mustard an whatever else in the press takes my fancy. what else could go into it that'd make it great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    on several occasions i've made stews with german dunkelwizen (erdinger or weihenstephaner). but i want to make a pie with guinness. Any tips on how to thicken up the filling without turning it into a vile flour filled sticky mess.

in terms of recipe i'd be using virtually the same as i use in my stew. ie. stewing steak, carrotts, celery, s&p, worcerstershire sauce, wholegrain mustard an whatever else in the press takes my fancy. what else could go into it that'd make it great.

How much do you reduce the liquid by?
    I'd normally go for say 2 tbsp of flour with a can of Guinness and about 2 cups of stock and simmer for 2hrs, and worked out pretty well for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i use stock, forget to mention that, but the times i've used flour i guesstimated the amounts. i generally simmer for up to 2 hours and it reduces a bit. would it be best to use less veg than in a regular stew?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Use stewing beef - I like beef shin for this.

Roll chunks of beef in well seasoned flour and tap off the excess.

Chop onion, carrot and celery into like-sized pieces and soften in a combination of oil and butter.

Add the floured beef to the pan and seal. You can move the veg to one side for this and seal the beef on the clear side of the pan. Don't have your heat up too high - you want to seal the meat but not burn the flour.

When the meat is all sealed and you've mixed the beef through the veg, it should look quite gluey - loosen it with a little beef stock.

If you want more vegetables, add them - I usually keep it very simple, chunking my onion, carrot and celery large at the start, but adding nothing else.

Now add a can of guinness - in terms of volume, bring it up to the point where it doesn't quite cover the meat - e.g. half way up the top pieces, but covering everything else. Give it a good stir, and now add other flavours - I like a dash of worcestershire sauce and a couple of large sprigs of thyme.

If you judge the liquid by sight, not quite covering the meat, and have the flour in from the get-go so it cooks properly, you'll end up with a good stew, thick and rich without a raw flour flavour. Just don't turn the heat up or it may catch and burn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,053 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I think Beamish makes a better stew - less bitter!!

Advertisement