Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So if the Gardaí asked YOU how to stop road deaths, what would you tell them?

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 horrible island

yeah looks like thats what they want. Of course theres effective and efficent public transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

I cannot believe the amount of people here suggesting that we lower the speed limits, make cars max speeds 120kph, and install limiters. I thought this was the motors forum for car enthusiasts. I feel sick.

Its a new world the pc brigade have taken. It reminds me of the hysteria which took over in the UK in the 1980s when new money started to buy more powerful cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 ...stephen...

Look see told ya, but look im not out there doing handbrake turns in the car parks and stuff.... Look it take stupidity to right off a car, Like rally down country roads... thats where the crashes happen. its not doing 80mph or 140kph or so on motorways...thats safe! just keep your distance from other cars or stay in the fast lane. And what loading insurance is free for me !!!!!!!

stephen
    Are you serious??!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭adamshred

thebman wrote: »
    At least not unaccompanied.

Don't think it is only kids that have this attitude either. A lot of people simply don't understand braking distances or don't care in which case they need to wake up.

Stephen, do you have your full license because I hope your parents aren't with you when your doing those speeds and thinking it is okay.

That Stephen guy is giving younger drivers a bad name (or at least the ones that ARE responsible). I just turned 18 yesterday and got my full license a couple of months ago on my first attempt. I, like many other people on this forum, am a responsible driver, and I am completely against the attitude of Stephen. Ok sometimes i'll do 60kph instead of 50kph but I consciously keep an eye on my speed and never forget observations Etc. I wouldn't consider myself a kid either but that's a matter of opinion tbh. It's quite obvious that its boy racers and the likes that have contributed greatly to the rise in insurance prices for anyone under 25 but where is the line drawn between an enthusiast and a boy racer? If someone puts an aftermarket air filter and induction kit in their car, for personal enjoyment, does that make them a boy racer? I don't see a problem with that as long as they aren't racing or driving dangerously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

adamshred wrote: »
    That Stephen guy is giving younger drivers a bad name (or at least the ones that ARE responsible). I just turned 18 yesterday and got my full license a couple of months ago on my first attempt. I, like many other people on this forum, am a responsible driver, and I am completely against the attitude of Stephen. Ok sometimes i'll do 60kph instead of 50kph but I consciously keep an eye on my speed and never forget observations Etc. I wouldn't consider myself a kid either but that's a matter of opinion tbh. It's quite obvious that its boy racers and the likes that have contributed greatly to the rise in insurance prices for anyone under 25 but where is the line drawn between an enthusiast and a boy racer? If someone puts an aftermarket air filter and induction kit in their car, for personal enjoyment, does that make them a boy racer? I don't see a problem with that as long as they aren't racing or driving dangerously.

Yeah I know all young people aren't bad drivers.

I got my license when I was 17 too on first attempt.

I am not a boy racer!!! thrust me, i dont go flying around towns,lapping the town all that... I dont go racing other cars.. that where people die, its not speed.. its messing that causes the deaths on the our roads!!!!!!! i dont drive a peice of **** that like e.g opel corsa, micra, golf... that if you crash your dead!!!! there is a big difference between a range rover and one of them cars... 80mph in the range rover, merc is not going fast for them types of cars, its feels like your not moving at all! Driving comes down to one thing common sence!!!... if your going at that speed in e.g a corsa thats driving hard.. Cause its really a peice of rubbish, and its not built to travel at those speeds, where as the range rover and merc just are!! Are ye all from dublin or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

if the cops asked me id say get the NRA to stop building intersections at bad bends or blind roads.....its where most accidents happen.

My parents dont mind!, they drive at the speed, everyone does! its common sence you dont go fast threw a village or on back country roads,but on a motorway or something they dont mind within reason. Like its not if your there going flat out in the car, your not trying to speed at all!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I am not a boy racer!!! thrust me, i dont go flying around towns,lapping the town all that... I dont go racing other cars.. that where people die, its not speed.. its messing that causes the deaths on the our roads!!!!!!! i dont drive a peice of **** that like e.g opel corsa, micra, golf... that if you crash your dead!!!! there is a big difference between a range rover and one of them cars... 80mph in the range rover, merc is not going fast for them types of cars, its feels like your not moving at all! Driving comes down to one thing common sence!!!... if your going at that speed in e.g a corsa thats driving hard.. Cause its really a peice of rubbish, and its not built to travel at those speeds, where as the range rover and merc just are!! Are ye all from dublin or something?

It's not really fair to come on here and call Corsa's etc pieces of sh!t. Not everyone has a rich mammy and daddy to hand a Range Rover to with free insurance. Some people bust their asses to save for their cars, and take pride in the ownership of them. No need to slag them off.
    An asshole is an asshole, be he in a Range Rover or a Micra.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭adamshred

yeh sure I drive a 00 Fiat Punto and its not a piece of **** like gets from A to B no bother. Not everyone has 80 - 100 grand to splash on a 08 Land Rover, not that I would even if I had that money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

If the Gardai asked me I would tell them to tell the Dept of Justice to double points and fines on Bank Holidays

Yeah you must want the roads all to yourself. Hope you have a good satnav because you'd need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I would put your age at about 12, maybe 13.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

there is a big difference between a range rover and one of them cars... 80mph in the range rover, merc is not going fast for them types of cars, its feels like your not moving at all!

Now there's a big problem and he didn't even realise it.

I'd say he's just trying to wind people up.

Stephen keep your range rover in the garage. I still dont think your for real!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Light up every road!!

Djhafez yeah could be a good idea but the roads your talking about should have proper road surfaces first?

Fantastic lighting shame about the twisted metal which was once a car, thats just after taking off into the air after hitting a ditch and landing in a pothole.

Ya its mad its all a big lie!.. Why would I lie?? Sure think what ever ye want to think! Really i dont care!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

thebman wrote: »
    I got my license when I was 17 too on first attempt.

Passing your test has got zero to do with being a good driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 gos27

more gardai around so people will become afraid ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sd08

Personally i would tell people 'Don't drink and drive,Smoke and Fly' :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

GreeBo wrote: »
    Passing your test has got zero to do with being a good driver.

Where did I say it did make me a good driver?

Advertisement