Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eye of the....dragonfly (Macro 5 shots)

• 25-05-2009 2:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭

I seem to be getting insect/bug macros these days - came across this dragonfly drying itself from the rain and took a few photos of it. Enjoy the view from up close!

Actual size:
    828296B5C5E243E1BFB139CB49AE4BC9-500.jpg

1:1 magnification:
    4D161E7F85164CFDABE8AFBE5B7A4542-800.jpg

wings:
    BD72DBF7ABF44F91A79E629D586ECEC9-800.jpg

4:1 magnification (eyelashes):
    A906715063DE4A049C2E51D8FC73C593-800.jpg

4:1 magnification (eye cells):
    2E98EE4024274905807174234ABB7EEA-800.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Savage shots. Love the second one, so much detail.

I must get a reverse adapter for my 50 and try some of this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

amazing shots! the one of the wings is just fab - and who knew dragonflies had eyelashes??!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

wow, spectacular shots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Lovely shots, What lens are you using??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

equipment used here was a 55-200mm vr as the primary lens - macro reverse filter ring - attaching a 50mm f2 lens onto the end of that and a sb-600 speedlite.

By mounting a lens properly on the camera body before mounting a reversed lens you get auto-exposure, auto-aperture closing and i-TTL flash control. So a lot more convenient than simply reversing a lens onto the body.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Thirdfox wrote: »
    equipment used here was a 55-200mm vr as the primary lens - macro reverse filter ring - attaching a 50mm f2 lens onto the end of that ....

I have never tried this - but I'd like to have a go!

How did you mount the 50mm onto the reverse filter ring?

I thought these had a male thread, on one end, to suit your lense, and a lense mount on the other? So how do you connect a lense mount, to a lense mount?

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Great shots!!

mrmac wrote: »
    I have never tried this - but I'd like to have a go!

How did you mount the 50mm onto the reverse filter ring?

Got an answer to my own question.

A macro coupler! Using the filter thread on both sides.
    Doh, obvious eh!

Ok - now gotta find a 72mm to 52mm coupler :D

Yup and since you don't reverse the primary lens you get AF, auto exposure, aperture control etc. (though AF doesn't work at all really ;) ). Auto exposure and iTTL flash control is fantastic though.

Also preferably you'd want to reverse mount a large lens onto a smaller one (openings that is) otherwise you get a tiny image circle surrounded by pitch black.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Thats great, I never knew you could do that. Is there a guide somewhere on how to do it or would someone kindly explain it to newbie like me ?? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Thats great, I never knew you could do that. Is there a guide somewhere on how to do it or would someone kindly explain it to newbie like me ?? :rolleyes:

From trawling through google, and using the info from Thirdfox, here's what you can try.

Mount a long zoom lens onto your camera, e.g. 200mm, as normal.

You need to then mount a "macro coupler" onto this lense.
    These are an adapter with a male screw thread on each end. The size of the screw thread must be the same as the filter thread on each lense. These can be got with different thread size on each side, i.e. you can conntect a 77mm to a 52mm.

Then you mount the smaller lense, in reverse, onto the front of the zoom lense, using it's filter thread, screwed onto the other end of the "macro coupler".

A rare looking setup, and as Thirdfox mention, if you go from a large diameter zoom, to a small diameter reversed lense, you'll get a black border to your shot.

Also, be careful to support your reversed lense, especially if it has a plastic filter thread.

http://shop.ebay.ie/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=macro+coupler
    One of these (for around 5-10 euro)

Your long zoom lens (I used 55-200mm)

And get a cheap old nice prime (with an aperture ring) - I used a 50mm f2 prime lens (which incidently I can still use as a lowlight prime) for around 35 euro.

Bob's your uncle - you now have a rudimentary macro zoom lens - 1:1 to 4:1 for way cheaper than a dedicated one. You work out the magnification ratio by dividing the long number by the smaller number i.e. 200mm + 50mm = 4x lifesize magnification.

But your working distance will be tiny - with my set up it was around 10 cm from the end of the lens to the object I'm photographing...not good for jittery bugs.

Of course you'll need a good flash too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭sikahunter

can i get shots like this with a sigma 70-300 macro lens please help how do you use 1:1 :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

U bastard! You completely just put my dragonfly pic to shame :(

:P

Im back to Dubai in August so watch out!!

Where did ye take them? They're amazo!!

Dubai might not be a good place :D - it's better to catch them in cold weather as the coolness slows them down and dulls their senses. Dawn is a great time to go out.

This one was hiding from a thunderstorm just outside my door...

Advertisement