Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts on replacing cigs with cigars

Options
  • 25-05-2009 2:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭

Have been unsuccessful a few times quitting smoking. Used Allen Carr book, stopped for a few months each time before having the odd joint, then the odd cigarette, then back smoking full-time. Because of the book I'm unwilling to bother with nicotine patches/gum

Any the other day was end of exams and then a massive piss-up, we all threw in a quid and split a box of cigars, they were enjoyable.

Am thinking of quitting smoking and having occasional cigar throughout the day. Its still nicotine but you don't inhale so I'm guessing it wouldn't mess you around for fitness.

Anyone gone down this route?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I always inhale cigars lol. I know your not supposed to but cant help it. Nothing nicer than a cigar and a pint of guiness or even milk. Nom nom nom

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Have been unsuccessful a few times quitting smoking. Used Allen Carr book, stopped for a few months each time before having the odd joint, then the odd cigarette, then back smoking full-time. Because of the book I'm unwilling to bother with nicotine patches/gum

Any the other day was end of exams and then a massive piss-up, we all threw in a quid and split a box of cigars, they were enjoyable.

Am thinking of quitting smoking and having occasional cigar throughout the day. Its still nicotine but you don't inhale so I'm guessing it wouldn't mess you around for fitness.

Anyone gone down this route?

I did. It doesn't work.

As you'll no doubt have gathered from Allen Carr, the reason you smoke the next cigarette is to quell the cravings you get from decaying nicotine levels in your body - nicotine levels installed by the previous cigarette.

Changing the method of nicotine replenishment doesn't alter anything - so you'll end up like I did when I fell back into the trap by having the odd cigar. The odd cigar became 10-12 cigars a day. Not big fat Havanas, just those awful mini-cigars: Hamlet and the like. You will inhale because not inhaling won't result in nicotine replenishment which defeats the purpose of smoking in the first place.

I knew I had problems when, on running out of cigars one evening, I bummed a Marlboro Red off someone and couldn't feel the smoke going down - even when I'd removed the butt.

After months of (presumably easy) non smoking, why did you disobey one of the basic instructions given by Allen which would ensure you remained a non-smoker? You put nicotine back into your body via a joint?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Get a pipe.

It's simple. Nothing with nicotine in it gets within 6 inches of your mouth. End of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

then why get a pipe ?

that makes no sense

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

He could use it if he wants to smoke, eh, other things? Since that's where he seems to have first started putting nicotine back into his system.
    ...stopped for a few months each time before having the odd joint, then the odd cigarette, then back smoking full-time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭h8red

Personally I don't think it's a good idea. I gave up smoking cigarettes over 5 years ago by reading Alan Carr's book. I knew I had to stop all nicotine comsumption. So I had to give up smoking joints too. But I still smoke pipes or bongs or whatever else will deliver the dube.

Anyway. Professional smokers of cigars don't inhale. They smoke the really big f***ers and hold the smoke in their gobs and the nicotine is absorbed by the inside of the mouth (lining of the cheeks?).

My brother gave up smoking a couple of times but would have the odd cigar. He didn't inhale the cigars but they still got him back on the fags.

Long story short. If you want to give up nicotine you have to give up nicotine.

Check this out. (First result from a google search)

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

I'm on the e-cig a week now and so far so good. www.thevapourstore.ie
    It is the most satisfying cigarette substitute i have ever tried, and i have tried them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

As a cessation method, I wouldn't recommend it. The routine is the hardest thing to get over when quitting imo (I haven't managed to yet)

you'd be as well just cutting down rather than smoking cigars instead

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Yeah you were right anded up just inhaling the cigars a lot. Giving Allen Carr another go, will not smoke joints when i finish.

Advertisement