Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of Buying but need advice

Options
  • 25-05-2009 3:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Myself and the wife are thinking of buying a puppy for a while now but im not too sure if we should or not.
    My problem is that we both work shift work and so while we are working for half the week 12Hrs a day and sometimes through the night we are also off work for half the week and so would be able to give our dog a lot of attention for 3/4 days and not so much for 3/4 days.
    My wife has her heart set on a yorkshire terrior so the advice i need is wether or not a terrior would be suited to living such a lifestyle as above???
    Any advice would be really appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

IMO 12 hours alone is too much for any dog, but definetly for a puppy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

I was working such a shift until recently and it worked fine with my dog, but only because there was always someone at home apart from me, especially as I worked night shift. I was lucky in that there was usallly someone around on the days I was working too and they'd walk him for me (it was 2-3 days a week in my case), which meant I could get enough sleep, but my dog was fine to come up and sleep with me all day if there was no one else around as long as I took him for a long walk before I went to bed. I made up for it by lavishing him with attention on my days off. Now I'm at home all the time he's actually getting a bit tired!

The 12 hour thing had a lot to do with asking for a dog over 6 months from the rescue and I wouldn't have got him if he'd have had to be alone all the time when I was working as I don't think it would be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

12 hours imo is far too long. If you really have your heart set on the idea of getting a dog, maybe consider getting a dog walker/minder to come in a couple of times a day? or dog day care? I've heard nothing but rave reviews from anyone whos dog is attending the Dog Training Ireland daycare in Blanchardstown. Or could one/both of you get home for an hour at lunch?

Just as a side note, you don't always have to "buy" a puppy, there are thousands of dogs in rescues of all shapes breeds and sizes crying out for loving homes ;)

Is this your first dog? A lot of people seem to go for smaller dogs like yorkies cos they think they are "easy" dogs too look after, but in fact any dog is a big commitment for the next 8-20 years of your life. Not trying to put you off, but do think long and hard about it :)

Advertisement