Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M1 traffic

Options
  • 25-05-2009 6:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hi all, moving to Dublin this June and looking where to live.

A question about the M1, what is the traffic like?

I am thinking of living in the city east end and will be working at Beaumont hospital. What is the traffic like taking the M1 out of the city in the morning and coming back after work?

Would I be better off living in Clontarf etc?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

funkyr wrote: »
    Hi all, moving to Dublin this June and looking where to live.

I am thinking of living in the city east end and will be working at Beaumont hospital. What is the traffic like taking the M1 out of the city in the morning and coming back after work?

Would I be better off living in Clontarf etc?

Well, regardless of where you work, you would always be better off living in Clontarf :D !

Back on topic, I don't get your question. I am assuming you are considering Docklands/East Wall, and thinking the Port Tunnel would get you to Beaumount ? Well, at €12 a pop in rush hour, you may want to think again.

If you want to be near work, then Artane / Beaumount / Whitehall / Santry are all within easy reach. If you want to live north of Beaumount (e.g. Swords), the the M1 is an option, but south or east of Beaumount, the M1 is not an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 funkyr

EUR12?! what a rip off! I think finding a place in D3 is the way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Would be considerably cheaper for you to find a place in one of the towns in North Dublin on the M1 and commute in that way. Traffic is slow from Lissenhall but moves freely - if that makes sense - in rush hour as far as Coolock, (where you'd come off for Beaumont) then it's gridlock all the way to town. Coming out of town to Beaumont from East Wall or the like wouldn't be gridlock in the mornings but trying it after 3pm ain't advisable becaull you'll tear your hair out, which hurts.

Presuming you want to be close to the CC though, look for somewhere in D3/D7 that's on the bus routes out towards Beaumont. You'll get there faster and probably cheaper by bus, by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You question doesn't really make sense. For overground traffic, the M1 begins at the Coolock Lane interchange with the N1 at the mouth of the DPT. That area is further north than Beaumont Hospital and therefore, shouldn't really be a factor in your commuting plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 funkyr

Thanks, I'm a non local so my question might seem a little strange!

Looks like commuting to Beaumont hospital via the M1 isnt a great idea

• Advertisement

EUR12?! what a rip off!
    The toll is deliberately high for private cars (depending on peak time direction) to act as a deterrant. The DPT is mainly designed to take trucks from the docks to the M1/M50 free of charge. If the toll was reduced for private cars, it could result in congestion in the tunnel and defeat it's purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

You question doesn't really make sense. For overground traffic, the M1 begins at the Coolock Lane interchange with the N1 at the mouth of the DPT. That area is further north than Beaumont Hospital and therefore, shouldn't really be a factor in your commuting plan.

Reckon he was thinking of the DPt as part of the M1. Logical, but in fact it's the M50 (according to the signs).

sdonn wrote: »
    Reckon he was thinking of the DPt as part of the M1. Logical, but in fact it's the M50 (according to the signs).
    Yes - I keep forgetting that. :o So the M1 begins even further north!

Advertisement