Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

neighbours hassling me over my dog barking

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭thegeezer

What the law says is this - you have to get fill in a document (intention to take them to court) which you then either give or post to the errant neighbour, at which point, they then have time to make amends. You are supposed to record dates and times of the barking and produce those in court. It can take months to get to court, and at the end may result in as liittle as a fine.
    Now if this is the same neighbour that doesn't care either for the dog they leave all day without food/water/toys or whatever, and have given no training to the dof=g to cope with this, do you REALLY think they are just going to accept this court summons ? More likely is that this will lead to a neighbours war, with harrassment and possibly violence. What kind of answer is this ?
    There should be strong laws in place which allow for an independent witness to monitor the disturbance and if found to be as stated, a warning, followed by a fine, followed by removal of animal and/or owner.
    Simples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wexford202

I live out the country and you can hear a dog bark even if it is a mile away.

My dog does it sometimes. Another dog will do it next time. That's life unfortunately.

iT'S THE DONKEY DOWN THE ROAD THAT GRATES ON MY NERVES :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I also sympathise with your neighbours, my neighbour has 3 dogs she frequently leaves alone for long periods of time, one little one which is mostly in the house and two bigger ones out the back. They are NEVER walked. The whole time she is gone the little one runs around the house barking and howling, then the two out the back go out in sympathy with it and join in the barking. We live in solid concrete houses with thick walls and the noise is still irritating. We work shift hours therefore we often go to bed at 4 in the day for an hour or two, in order to do this we had to move our bedroom from the back to the front on the other side of our house to get away from the noise. I complained and while she said she would do something nothing has changed. I have 2 dogs myself and would never tolerate them being a nuisance to anyone.

My 'helpful' suggestions would be to get a treadmill and run your dogs on that(any dog can be trained to do this) if you are too sick to excerise them adequately. Also leaving an item of clothing with your dog might help ease his anxiety. But I think draining their energy is the key, all the training the world will only have minimal effect if they are full of energy before you leave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

wexford202 wrote: »
    iT'S THE DONKEY DOWN THE ROAD THAT GRATES ON MY NERVES :mad:

Haha hilarious!:D
    There used to be a donkey up the road from us too, used to bray in the middle of the night and day, poor thing was really getting on mine and my neighbours nerves, havent seen him in a long time though. :D:D

Neighbours two sons make more noise than our dog, I swear to god all they ever do is run around screaming, and then somebody screaming ''no paddy (obviously don't want to mention real name) stop that'', then they start bouncing on the trampoline, (did I mention their spoilt), trying to look over the fence.:mad: And they had the cheek to say to us that our dog barks, (which he doesn't within reason, odd bark at birds or other dogs but not consistently), so they started throwing tennis balls and footballs over the fence, charlie thinks all his dreams have come true when balls start appearing everywhere.:D I take my time throwing them back, after there covered in slobber.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 ladyofthelake

It depends on your city by-laws. People have the right to peace and quiet in their neighborhood, especially after a certain hour. Check at city hall and then if your neighbor complains again just tell them what the by-laws are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

you say you have the kong toys , they are usually good especially the one if you put mushy biscuit in it then it can take the dog more than an hour to get it out .
    I have a friend who came across this dog who had the separation anxiety , and the dog used to have a screaming cry that would go on for hours.
    The problem was fixed by stimulating the dog mentally and physically, taken for a walk in the morning , a little bit of obedience , when the owner used to leave he gave it a toy (cant remember the name of it) its like a plastic ball and leaves out small treats every once in a while , it kept the dog interested for hours.
    I do understand that due to your circumstances you may not be able to do all of the above, you could start by trying to leave the room the dog is in and throw it a toy , listen and see if it goes to play with the toy or starts barking for you , sometimes its about finding the right toy and if your using toys with treats make sure your dog isnt on a full stomach otherwise he wont want it enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wexford202

Threadmill for 20 minutes before you leave the house. Make sure you turn it off before you go.

Advertisement