Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pump Problem - Monsoon

Options
  • 25-05-2009 7:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I returned to my house on Saturday night to find the electricity off, i live in Clontarf, not sure what happened. Anyway, it came back on in the middle of the night, but the next morning my water pressure was low and i realised my pump had stopped working. It's a monsoon. I checked the fuse and it's grand, it just seems to have died. Is there any quick fix i can try or do I have to bite the bullet and ring a plumber?? Or even buy a new pump?? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

Try replacing the capacitor. It's a common enough electrical fault with pumps. Open up the terminal box and see if the capacitor is damaged. (It's the white thing that looks like a little stick of dynamite.)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Worems

I'll try that thanks... any particular type of capacitor??

You'll have to wait until you open the terminal box. It'll be marked with a "uf" (microfared) rating. It'll probably be 12uf, or 16uf at the most. You should be able to pick one up at any electrical wholesalers.

No luck with the capacitor. The whole terminal box looks fine.... Any other suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

u need to see how far the power is coming before u can establish if the cap is gone: its not just a visual check.
    is the pump hardwired in or is there a plug on it?
    is the breaker on at board?

• Advertisement

Sometimes the capacitor can be gone, but there will be no visual signs. Do what Carlow said, and if no luck change the capacitor. You should be able to pick one up for about €20.

oh right ok..... the fuse board breaker is on, the fuse for the hard wire is still working... how could i see if the capacitor is gone or not??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Worems wrote: »
    oh right ok..... the fuse board breaker is on, the fuse for the hard wire is still working... how could i see if the capacitor is gone or not??

As I not a sparks I wont answer this in public:)

Some pumps have a thermal cut out if they run dry: maybe check this online with pump serial number/model

Worems wrote: »

You can't, you'll just have to buy one fit it, and try turning on the pump.

Advertisement