Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring for Lights

Options
  • 25-05-2009 7:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

Hey,

I currenlty have a regular light fitting in my house (cable and bulb holder hanging from ceiling.. for a screw in light bulb).

I just bought a new light fitting over the weekend (one that goes flush to the ceiling with 5 arms coming from it).

I was going to wire this up myself but i noticed on the new light fitting there was an earth wire to be connected up.
    The instructions say the earth wire must be connected but when i removed the old fitting from the ceiling there is no earth wire.

It is ok to connect this up without wiring the earth? or should i get someone to look at it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

This is a big problem when putting up a light fitting in an older house, in Ireland. The UK have been running twin + earth cable to each light for years.

You have 2 options, Run an earth wire to the fitting or get a "double insulated fitting" hence no earth wire required.

Some guys would just wire up the fitting and forget about the earth, but to be honest i'd never do this.

Hey,

I currenlty have a regular light fitting in my house (cable and bulb holder hanging from ceiling.. for a screw in light bulb).

I just bought a new light fitting over the weekend (one that goes flush to the ceiling with 5 arms coming from it).

I was going to wire this up myself but i noticed on the new light fitting there was an earth wire to be connected up.
    The instructions say the earth wire must be connected but when i removed the old fitting from the ceiling there is no earth wire.

It is ok to connect this up without wiring the earth? or should i get someone to look at it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Hey,

I would follow DD's advice.
    earth or change the fitting
    running an earth is not as daunting as it seems unless it is unusually awkward: think about the run of the ceiling joists and where u have sockets in the room above.

bridging/noggins can be got around easily enough: you may need to repaint the ceiling but worth doing
    come back if u want more input

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Interesting101

cheers lads,

im afraid it does sound a bit daunting to me....i wouldnt be confident enought to do this myself.

i need to get an electric shower installed soon so i think i'll have then do the lights aswell (more money :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

cheers lads,

im afraid it does sound a bit daunting to me....i wouldnt be confident enought to do this myself.

i need to get an electric shower installed soon so i think i'll have then do the lights aswell (more money :))

The elec shower will be some job: 6 sq or even 10sq straight from the board to the shower via a big mother of an isolation switch:)

If u have a socket in the room above and u figure out which way the joists are going I will pen a few lines on how to do it
    what construction are the walls?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

need to get an electric shower installed soon so i think i'll have then do the lights aswell (more money smile.gif)

good idea! This is a bit more invloved as Carlow52 points out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement