Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nocturnal Dictionary

• 25-05-2009 9:12am
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭

There's a certain nomenclature sneaking up in this forum, and I have decided to document it for the daywalkers/ non regs etc. I'll add good/ funny ones people suggest.

Alcohol: The currency of the Nocturnals, much time is spent on the pursuit of it.

There seems to be 4 main types of alcohol which roughly represent the 4 elements:

JD- An amber liquid from far Western lands, JD is the most valuable of the common alcohols. It's dark tones represent the element of earth.

Vodka - A clear alcohol from the Eastern climes, it is more common and therefore slightly less valuable than JD. As it is completely clear in it's pure form, it is thought to represent air.

Cider- Quite a common alcohol, mined not far the Lair, is therefore not of much value unless in large quantities. Usually a red or orange colour, is thought to represent fire.

Beer- The most common of all alcohols, and the base of the Nocturnals economy, it is so comparatively diluted that a pint is worth the same as a small measure of JD. Thus it is referred to as "water".

"Dude, I totally owe you a pint of beer for that."

"Get us a JD instead?"

The backup.........of the damned

A strange affliction which strikes the nocturnals, thought to be a curse perpretrated by the gods of the lands of Rec, which occurs once every 24 hours. Suddenly, all Nocturnals are dumbstruck and made woozy. Often they will enter a trance like state known as "sleep" for some period of time. Like the bus-seats-for-whiteys laws of segregated america, the nocs await their equivalent of rozabeez parks to stick it to the man and escape this most terrible curse!!.

"Man I was in the middle of a three thousand word post and the backup happened... fell asleep in the middle of it."

Beers: The most sacred ceremony of the Nocturnals, held approximately once a month. However they are unpredictable, and are known to spontaeniously occur between two Nocturnals suddenly.

The Rite of the Beering usually contains several distinct segments, which may or may not occur due to the fervour of the moment:

The exchanging of gifts: Nocturnals will give one another small portions of alcohol, sometimes to pay for services, sometimes as a gesture of goodwill.

The claiming of the seats: the Nocturnals will stalk their territory, claim it, and will make outsiders uncomfortable until they leave with their bizarre language.

The examining of the Transformers: A bizarre occurance where several Nocturnals will become obsessed with small, mostly plastic puzzles, moving them endlessly from one configuration to another, whilst quoting from an unknown tome.

The great complaining: Inevitably, the Nocturnals will argue about the music being played, unless it is some form of 80's rock.

The tribute: There will be a long segment where various people are honoured by the powerfist.

The dancing: At some point, the female Nocturnals will decide to dance. They will attempt to convince the males. They usually fail. And if not, the males stand a large chance of injuring the females.

The ravening: Eventually the Nocturnals will leave their place of worship looking for sustenance.

"Aw man you missed the beers last night, I got hammered and the hot wimminz were dancing!"

The Brethren: A tribe from the north of the lands of Rec, beyond the region of the' LL, in the plains of YurMaas. The Brethren have on occasion clashed with the Nocturnals as their society is also based around the acquisition of alcohol.

However this joint history usually overcomes the differences between the two, such as when the Nocturnals sacrificed some goats to help the Brethren through the aporkalypse famine. They can often be found together celebrating the rite of the beering.

"I was out with the Brothers last night. My head is destroyed."

Daywalker: Someone who spends too much time in the presence of the flaming cancer ball. An insult.

"Nerin punched me for calling him a daywalker"

Flaming cancer ball: The arch enemy of the Nocturnals, and the cause of most ills in the world. Some day walkers refer to it as the "sun".

"I'm sick and tired of the flamey cancer ball"

HUGZ: A nocturnal ritual in which two or more noctites physically contact one another, perhaps engaging in heat transfer or touch telepathy. Some theorise it may even be an act of affection.

"Hugz?"

IBR: In before randy- when something is said which has a high innuendo quotient, "wait til randy sees this!" got contracted to "in before randy".

"She's the Nocturnal forum's sword fondler."

"In before Randy!"

Innuendo: When Randy speaks.

"In-your-endo!"

The Lair: Nerin's home which he has kindly thrown open to all the denizens of the Nocturnal forum. You will find all sorts there- werewolves, vampires, familiars, (no zombies obviously) and even the odd human who's just passing the time by posting on boards.ie.

"I just spent all day posting in the Lair and my post count has tripled!!!"

Lysander: Mascot of the Nocturnal forum, Lysander is a werewolf cub who has been raised by the nocturnal forum regulars. As such, he is a mix between adorably cute and homicidally manical.

"Lysander just tore out a zombies throat AGAIN. Good boy!"

Pantsless: A secret society among the Nocs, the purpose of which is unknown. They're easily spotted however, by their dress code.

No one knows why they stalk around the wilds of the Lairian wilds like this, lunging as they go, but as they have not harmed anyone yet they are tolerated.

"DOOOMY! Fey and Spoonybadger are pantsless again!!"

"What do you expect me to do about it?"

Powerfist: An act of tribute performed by Nocturnals, the greatest honour any one or thing can recieve is a respectful powerfist.

"Doom powerfisted me last night. Still getting over it."

Sleep: A bizarre mental affliction which afflicts all Nocturnals, although some to a lesser degree than others. Sleep is believed to be a terrible curse inflicted on the Nocturnals in times past.

A Nocturnal who is being struck by sleep will become "tired" and will cease making sense even less than usual. Then, without warning, the Nocturnal will lose awareness for up to several hours.

For those around the hapless victim, they will appear to be either in a fugue state or even worse, on some kind of trip (some people even "talk in their sleep").

The whole sleep thing is an awful embarrasment to the Nocturnals, and it is particularly hard to avoid after the backup. it is considered a sign of ones standing by some how long one can avoid the time wasting problem that is sleep.

"Sleep is for the weak."

Zombies: The lowest of the supernatural low, even the usually tolerant Nocturnal forum has no place for these creatures. They are usually killed with a shotgun.

"Bloody zombies eating peoples brains again. It takes weeks to get out of the carpet."

...et al. Suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

SDooM wrote: »

IBR: In before randy- when something is said which has a high innuendo quotient, "wait til randy sees this!" got contracted to "in before randy".

"She's the Nocturnal forum's sword fondler."

"In before Randy!"

I've always wanted to be in a dictionary! :D

*is all pleased*

Will think of some words to add in. You want suggestions for entries and you'll write them, or can we write our own?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

shellyboo wrote: »
    I've always wanted to be in a dictionary! :D

*is all pleased*

Will think of some words to add in. You want suggestions for entries and you'll write them, or can we write our own?

I'll take either. The forum is not doom and doom is not the forum :)

I'll take either. The forum is not doom and doom is not the forum :)

That's real deep, man :P

There's an assignment: What is the definition of the word doom in the Nocturnal forum... :D

There's an assignment: What is the definition of the word doom in the Nocturnal forum... :D

Lol :) I'll get right on it boss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Doom; nirvana for the nocties.:)

Nerin, get your arse in here and do one for Noxcat. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Good to see my idea is finally in use.

'Powerfist'

Galvasean wrote: »
    Good to see my idea is finally in use.

'Powerfist'

Powerfist: An act of tribute performed by Nocturnals, the greatest honour any one or thing can recieve is a respectful powerfist.

"Doom powerfisted me last. Still getting over it."

Alcohol: The currency of the Nocturnals, much time is spent on the pursuit of it.

There seems to be 4 main types of alcohol which roughly represent the 4 elements:

JD- An amber liquid from far Western lands, JD is the most valuable of the common alcohols. It's dark tones represent the element of earth.

Vodka - A clear alcohol from the Eastern climes, it is more common and therefore slightly less valuable than JD. As it is completely clear in it's pure form, it is thought to represent air.

Cider- Quite a common alcohol, mined not far the Lair, is therefore not of much value unless in large quantities. Usually a red or orange colour, is thought to represent fire.

Beer- The most common of all alcohols, and the base of the Nocturnals economy, it is so comparatively diluted that a pint is worth the same as a small measure of JD. Thus it is referred to as "water".

"Dude, I totally owe you a pint of beer for that."

"Get us a JD instead?"

• Advertisement

Beers: The most sacred ceremony of the Nocturnals, held approximately once a month. However they are unpredictable, and are known to spontaeniously occur between two Nocturnals suddenly.

The Rite of the Beering usually contains several distinct segments, which may or may not occur due to the fervour of the moment:

The eschanging of gifts: Nocturnals will give one another small portions of alcohol, sometimes to pay for services, sometimes as a gesture of goodwill.

The claiming of the seats: the Nocturnals will stalk their territory, claim it, and will make outsiders uncomfortable until they leave with their bizarre language.

The examining of the Transformers: A bizarre occurance where several Nocturnals will become obsessed with small, mostly plastic puzzles, moving them endlessly from one configuration to another, whilst quoting from an unknown tome.

The great complaining: Inevitably, the Nocturnals will argue about the music being played, unless it is some form of 80's rock.

The tribute: There will be a long segment where various people are honoured by the powerfist.

The ravening: Eventually the Nocturnals will leave their place of worship looking for sustenance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

IBR :P

Back on topic though:

Demonocracy: a system of governance or leadership between the denizens of the underworld. Noc forum posters MAY wish to be in the higher echelons of these positions, yet the Demon Overlords do not tolerate any advance on their position;)

Such Overlords include SDooM, Nerin and randylonghorn. The former two follow the code nicely, letting minor slips in judgement pass by, yet the latter and last Overlord is more of a trickster like Loki, he likes to make fun of certain things.

These Overlords can be pleased through such offerings as Alcohol, respected from the peons to the Overlords as the divine ambrosia is. Food such as kebabs, sushi and breakfast rolls are acceptable. Music, preferably 80's rock and 90's heavy metal is soothing to the beast within, use with caution as the wrong track may offend, thus you being shunned or laughed at...usually the latter:pac:

Hopefully this is worthy of the Noctionary (yes i own that word:P)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

Nigh-light:
    this such word is one of the lesser known within the "norm" of society today, but to the nocturnal denizens it is the "waking hours" a time whence we can slowly come out of our slumber of haze and drowsyness and truly come into our own.

within these hours, actions such as debates on the reality behind mythical creatures are held.... as well as a huge consumption of alcohol and snacks *see above*

once a year we shall take into effect nigh-light saving time.... when there is a gathering of the nocturnal members which shall not end until the next evening enduring the opposing daylight with hatred.... and drunkenness

SmileyPaul wrote: »

Thanks for that guys but I think you might be missing the point a bit... I'm taking things that already exist and defining them (sometimes in a funny way) for new users and old, not coming up with new stuff! you get me?

For example...

The Brethren: A tribe from the north of the lands of Rec, beyond the region of the' LL, in the plains of YurMaas. The Brethren have on occasion clashed with the Nocturnals as their society is also based around the acquisition of alcohol.

However this joint history usually overcomes the differences between the two, such as when the Nocturnals sacrificed some goats to help the Brethren through the aporkalypse famine. They can often be found together celebrating the rite of the beering.

"I was out with the Brothers last night. My head is destroyed."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭spoonbadger

The backup.........of the damned :pac:

A highly descriminatory act againts the nocturnals, perpretrated by the owners of the realm, which occurs once every 24 hours. Like the bus-seats-for-whiteys laws of segregated america, the nocs await their equivalent of rozabeez parks to stick it to the man!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Transformers: These sanctified items are always present at a Beers, used by some Nocs to show their awesomeness, and put on display by other Nocs in compromising positions for the public to see.

They are not to be called toys though...for if you shall dare, you MIGHT soon regret it:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

pantsless: the preferred dress code of a certain sub-set of the Nocs, Spoonbadger and Fey being the two apparent ringleaders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

innuendo no it's in-your-endo;)

Do ye mind if I alter them slightly? I kinda have a thing going here (by accident) and I think it's good, so I may change them a little to fit in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Do ye mind if I alter them slightly? I kinda have a thing going here (by accident) and I think it's good, so I may change them a little to fit in?
    Ofc, g'wan ... we're only throwing a few suggestions at ya!

Better than rotten tomatoes, like! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Anything you have going is bound to be accidental :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

this will be going in the noc bible, which is planned for release in 2012

First post updated with an adapted version of "backup".

First post updated with pantsless.

Sleep: A bizarre mental affliction which afflicts all Nocturnals, although some to a lesser degree than others. Sleep is believed to be a terrible curse inflicted on the Nocturnals in times past.

A Nocturnal who is being struck by sleep will become "tired" and will cease making sense even less than usual. Then, without warning, the Nocturnal will lose awareness for up to several hours.

For those around the hapless victim, they will appear to be either in a fugue state or even worse, on some kind of trip (some people even "talk in their sleep").

The whole sleep thing is an awful embarrasment to the Nocturnals, and it is particularly hard to avoid after the backup. it is considered a sign of ones standing by some how long one can avoid the time wasting problem that is sleep.

"Sleep is for the weak."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Define: *HUGZ*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Define: *HUGZ*

A form of physical contact used by some of the more human nocs to show friendship,love,encouragement and other positive emotions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Nerin wrote: »
    A form of physical contact used by some of the more human nocs to show friendship,love,encouragement and other positive emotions.

Awww! :)

• Advertisement

Updated:

Innuendo: When Randy speaks.

Updated: HUGZ: A nocturnal ritual in which two or more noctites physically contact one another, perhaps engaging in heat transfer or touch telepathy. Some theorise it may even be an act of affection.

Nerin, still waiting for you to update for Noxcat!

Advertisement