Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Birr Ballooning Festival

• 25-05-2009 9:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭

Just a FYI.....hot air balloon festival in Birr running to next Saturday. There are balloon flights every day. Was driving past yeaterday evening and some lovely shots of balloons over Kinnity Castle and Birr town...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 bhaneasa

Very true Sinead, everyone should head along for a look...:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

Biffo's and hot air, nothing new there! :p

Have to admit to loving hot air balloons though. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

This very confusing website, tells you that the festival runs until the 31st, but that it ends on the 30th! *roll eyes*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

Seriously thinking about heading down from Belfast for this.... probably stay with family in Kilkenny and travel to Birr on the Saturday. I have 2 quick questions for anyone who can answer them. Firstly where would be good to hit to get decent photos and secondly how dog friendly is it?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭sineadgalway

I'd say best bet is to ring the local tourist office but views from Kinnity Castle and in town in general. One word of caution though, a few of the balloons I spotted yesterday were advertising companies e.g Remax. Still they looked pretty cool in the evening sunshine. As for dog friendliness, I have no idea, depends on where you are staying I guess...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

City-Exile wrote: »
    This very confusing website, tells you that the festival runs until the 31st, but that it ends on the 30th! *roll eyes*

Makes sense, runs until the 31st, so once it passes midnight on the 30th, it is over. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

I'd say best bet is to ring the local tourist office but views from Kinnity Castle and in town in general. One word of caution though, a few of the balloons I spotted yesterday were advertising companies e.g Remax. Still they looked pretty cool in the evening sunshine. As for dog friendliness, I have no idea, depends on where you are staying I guess...
    Remax.. eh
    I,d say that went down like a lead balloon :pac: :pac: :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

We went down yesterday to this. While there were signs saying it was on in Birr, there were no signs saying where in Birr it was. When we asked, even locals weren't sure. Eventually found out it was on in the castle grounds.

Balloons were supposed to launch at 6:30pm. But, due to a windy day, they didn't get launched until near 9pm.

Only 7 balloons, 3 advertising, and the other 4 were very colourful.

3579333063_b72ea01e1c.jpg

3579333889_26071063ef.jpg

3579334461_ce78e27749.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,175 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Is this festival still on today? Thinking bout going down for a look.

I don't think it is. I thought that yesterday was the last day of it.

You should give them a call at Birr Castle though, to check.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,175 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Ok, no probs.

Just got off the phone, man told me it was over. Bit deceptive, it says it's on today on the website. Where to go now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Paulw wrote: »
    We went down yesterday to this. While there were signs saying it was on in Birr, there were no signs saying where in Birr it was. When we asked, even locals weren't sure. Eventually found out it was on in the castle grounds.

Balloons were supposed to launch at 6:30pm. But, due to a windy day, they didn't get launched until near 9pm.

Only 7 balloons, 3 advertising, and the other 4 were very colourful.

Nice work Paul - good captures

For such a long wait, they were very nice to see lifting off.

The middle one there, there was no basket, just a little seat for the pilot.

I still have more images to process.

Advertisement