Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Awesome Deal from Dell on Mini 10 Laptop €299 delivered

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 chimmychanga

I already have a laptop but I still want one of those!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Its a 10v which is the newer model and very nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

But then again its made by Dell "Lets fire all our Irish staff" Computers, be wary of purchasing anything from them now or in the future, vote with your wallets!

MC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

But then again its made by Dell "Lets fire all our Irish staff" Computers, be wary of purchasing anything from them now or in the future, vote with your wallets!

MC

You must not buy any computers then. Dell still have a a large work force here.

I know that the Dell mini 9 is very easy to turn into a Hackintosh, is this the case with the 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

Isn't the 'mini 10v' a value edition (cut down version) of 'mini 10'?

Searching for good reviews now as I am kinda looking for a netbook..!

• Advertisement

I know that the Dell mini 9 is very easy to turn into a Hackintosh, is this the case with the 10.

Are you living in an igloo? Dell will have fired all but their R&D staff by the end of year and moved to Lodz in Poland, the main reason they sell so many PCs in Ireland is down to the 25% discount they gave County councils etc, lets hope these organisations have a brain in their head and buy elsewhere from now on.

MC

BTW I personally maintain >10 Machines on my own network not to mention any networks I maintain so yes I would say I buy computers :rolleyes:

positron wrote: »
    Isn't the 'mini 10v' a value edition (cut down version) of 'mini 10'?

Searching for good reviews now as I am kinda looking for a netbook..!

Changing the 3 cell for the 6 cell battery puts the price of the 10v up to €349 which is not far off what you'd pay for an NC10 Sammy which is the market leader plus the sammy has bluetooth.

MC

Are you living in an igloo? Dell will have fired all but their R&D staff by the end of year and moved to Lodz in Poland, the main reason they sell so many PCs in Ireland is down to the 25% discount they gave County councils etc, lets hope these organisations have a brain in their head and buy elsewhere from now on.

And who should we buy them from?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

And who should we buy them from?

Acer have recently increased the number of support staff they employ in Ireland?

smccarrick wrote: »
    Acer have recently increased the number of support staff they employ in Ireland?

To how many?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

Hardly awesome OP

The €299 price is for a Linux based machine with 8Gb SSD and a 3 cell battery.

As another poster said; to change to a more practical 6 cell battery brings the price up to €349

As an alternative try the Asus EeePC1000 with better keyboard, 40Gb SSD and 6 cell battery....or the Samsung NC10 which should be getting cheaper now its replacement (N110) has arrived.

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1593768

If you can collect its cheaper than the Dell equivalent; if not then it costs slightly more but has much bigger storage.

This is what I would get.....160Gb HDD, XP Home and 6 cell battery for not much more than the Dell

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ELA1617255&productID=S5890597

*using elara as an example because its possible to collect from their Dublin warehouse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

You're not very well informed - No (GMA500 video card).

I must echo the above sentiment: the price seems great at first, until you actually check out the spec. A Mini 9 might be just about worth it if you intend on using it as a Hackintosh...but we cannot advocate that here probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

I think this is a far better bargain.
    £12.99 P&P to Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

majiktripp wrote: »
    I think this is a far better bargain.
    £12.99 P&P to Ireland

Good offer. Trying to create an account on ebuyer now but for some reason it's not accepting my phone number.

Anyone else having this issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

swingking wrote: »
    Good offer. Trying to create an account on ebuyer now but for some reason it's not accepting my phone number.

Anyone else having this issue

That's an old known problem for Irish customers. The only way you can get the transaction through is by using Google Checkout. I've done it a few times to buy from ebuyer and it works fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭banchang

I got the HP Mininote 2133 from ebuyer for approx Eur221 delivered.

See this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055465006

Not in stock on ebuyer anymore, but if you can get it elsewhere I'd highly recommend. 120GB HDD, vs 8GB on the Dell

Great machine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

I love the asthetics of the HP 2133, very refined looking . However the VIA C7 Processor is ment to be a huge letdown for it as a whole. The Atom CPU is fastly becoming the stallwart of the Netbook so I'm trying to find one sub €200 with that and a SATA hard drive and not a poxy 'aul SSD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

That lenovo s10 is a much better deal tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Dells business Netbook is due out very soon, I'd hold off it then.

It comes with a rubber shell and strap clips.

BOFH_139 wrote: »

I thought you were describing something else entirely :D
    Sounds interesting!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Dells business Netbook is due out very soon, I'd hold off it then.

Dell Latitude 2100?

Jonathan wrote: »

Jeez- if you deviate from the base model at all (which doesn't even have a camera on it, and only has the 3 cell battery)- you get slaughtered on price. Why on earth they even offer a Vista version is beyond me- the only Atom PC I've seen with Vista was a complete and utter dog- it just doesn't have sufficient horsepower...... You know- I'd really rather get the Samsung NC10...... (or even the NC20!)

majiktripp wrote: »
    I love the asthetics of the HP 2133, very refined looking . However the VIA C7 Processor is ment to be a huge letdown for it as a whole. The Atom CPU is fastly becoming the stallwart of the Netbook so I'm trying to find one sub €200 with that and a SATA hard drive and not a poxy 'aul SSD.

It really depends what you want it for.

For me its simply for wifi access, with the ability to store/play some movies on the HDD, which a 120HDD gives you in no small measure.

As such I don't need a processor capable of driving Call of Duty4, esp on a screen this size. So no issues with the processor from my perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

are any of those other netbooks fanless like the mini9?

Scruff wrote: »
    are any of those other netbooks fanless like the mini9?

I don't think anything with either an Atom or C7 has a fan. The C7 looks incredibly interesting- its amazing that Via managed to crack virtualisation before either Intel or AMD.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

I don't think anything with either an Atom or C7 has a fan.
    my Acer AspireOne does :(

Scruff wrote: »
    my Acer AspireOne does :(

I stand corrected. I've just been upending my Asus B206 (a desktop PC with an Atom N270 in it) and it apparently has a fan too (though its practically noiseless).

HP Mininote very quiet too

Forgot to mention that it comes with a webcam also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

for info

Order Details - May 26, 2009 13:57 GMT+01:00
    Shipping Status Qty Item Price
    Not yet shipped 1 Lenovo IdeaPad S10e Netbook Laptop, Intel Atom N270 1.6 GHz 1GB 80GB 10.1" TFT Webcam WLAN Blueto... - Lenovo IdeaPad S10e Netbook Laptop, Intel Atom N270 1.6 GHz 1GB 80GB 10.1" TFT Webcam WLAN Bluetooth SUSE Linux Enterprise... £189.97
    1 1 week free Ebuyer Tech Support - 1 week free Ebuyer Tech Support £0.00
    Shipping & Handling (Fri 29th May 2009 (Delivery to EIRE)) : £12.99
    Total: £202.96

About €231.251 EUR delivered, pretty good for an IBM.

Delivery this Friday allegedly too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭Kilteragh

MC

BTW I personally maintain >10 Machines on my own network not to mention any networks I maintain so yes I would say I buy computers :rolleyes:

This illustrates the danger of taking opinions from the internet / elsewhere and assuming they are facts.

Dell has in fact very few R&D staff in Ireland. They will however, still have over 2000 people in services, support and sales after the factory closes completely.

I'd appreciate if you would better inform yourself before encouraging people to put further jobs, including mine, at risk by not buying Dell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

picked up one in Outlet today for €237 delivered - had originally bought an 8gb SSD Mini 9 for €170 delivered but they increased the discount so I cancelled and picked up the 10 instead!

I
    Kilteragh wrote: »
    This illustrates the danger of taking opinions from the internet / elsewhere and assuming they are facts.

Dell has in fact very few R&D staff in Ireland. They will however, still have over 2000 people in services, support and sales after the factory closes completely.

I'd appreciate if you would better inform yourself before encouraging people to put further jobs, including mine, at risk by not buying Dell.

This reply is being typed (unfortunately) on a D630 (which has the worst trackpad I've ever come across) so please get your facts straight before commenting, Dell have soiled their name in Ireland on a permanent basis and over time the few jobs that are left here will be migrated to lower cost economies in the end due to the high costs of doing business here and the wage structures, the coffee is brewed, please smell it. :rolleyes:

This model is going EoL next month so be warned.

This model is going EoL next month so be warned.

Stuff goes EOL all the time? Why should it be an issue?

Because a better version is due out VERY soon....
    Stuff goes EOL all the time? Why should it be an issue?

• Advertisement

Because a better version is due out VERY soon....

Yes- a 10" with an E330- but the prices being knocked around are almost EUR130 over this- this one is being discounted to hell to clear the existing stock. Stuff is EOL'ed all the time (and is obsolete within weeks/months of buying it). A new model coming out in 5 weeks time, isn't necessarily a reason *not* to buy this one......

*/ forgetting about NDA */

There is a new range coming out that should be price around the same as the discounted version.
    Yes- a 10" with an E330- but the prices being knocked around are almost EUR130 over this- this one is being discounted to hell to clear the existing stock. Stuff is EOL'ed all the time (and is obsolete within weeks/months of buying it). A new model coming out in 5 weeks time, isn't necessarily a reason *not* to buy this one......

*/ forgetting about NDA */

:D

Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭jefferson73

MC
    +1 agreed, never buying a dell regardless of the price.
    Obviously others should make their own decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Special K

Are these just like normal laptops but smaller [physically]?

• Advertisement
Advertisement