Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Noise Pollution Legislation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Whitewater-AGS

Its a nice idea but it will never work! there is no way the Gardai are going to force entry into a home or a car to disable an alarm, its means they'll have to somehow resecure the place before leaving.

Besldes even if we did get near the alarm how do we disable it without causing damage????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

This is what I'm wondering - will the legislation then require the placement of a disabling switch on the exterior of a building (and therefore car)? How will this affect security etc.?

TBH, it sounds like more ill thought out political quackery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

If it was to apply to cars,

They could just tow it away and move the problem without damaging it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

The Irony :D Guards turning up to turn off your alarm. Might be nice if they turned up to sort the reason that the alarm went off in the first place.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Saab Ed wrote: »
    The Irony :D Guards turning up to turn off your alarm. Might be nice if they turned up to sort the reason that the alarm went off in the first place.;)

Seeing as most go off due to faulty snesors or one with too high snesitivity, unless they are gettign sent on an installers curse I dotn see hwat more they can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Finmix

Well I assume they don't actually have to go inside as the article says.
    "The alarms are usually located on the outside, so they can go into the property, as such, and then turn off the alarm from the outside," Mr Gormley said.

The interesting thing will be for parties and the like, how will they measure the level of noise and if they do what will the decibel level be?
    Also what will happen if traffic is above this level as it will be become a legal issue to curtail traffic due to noise levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Saab Ed wrote: »

I used to live in an estate where house alarms went off about 3 times a day, every day. I was working and studying from home at the time, and each time I'd actually wish that it was a burglary that set the alarm off - at least then it would be doing it's job.

But no. In the 3 years, there was no burglaries (or evidence of attempted burglaries) in the area. Just lots of poor quality alarms, poor fitting and cats being left to walk around houses when the sensors were turned on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

-Chris- wrote: »
    TBH, it sounds like more ill thought out political quackery.

I think you will find the only time this particular law is used is when Gormley's next door neighbours alarm goes off. And they say politicians are self serving....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I believe they have actually dropped that particular idea over constituitional concerns
    Authorised officers from local authorities will be given new fast-track powers to take prompt and effective action to deal with intruder alarms when they sound continuously at premises including dwellings.

Minister Gormley continued: “The restriction on audible intruder alarms is a particularly welcome development given that almost one quarter of submissions to the consultation process on noise issues addressed this issue.”

It is also proposed that the Bill will extend to the Garda Síochána some of the more appropriate improved powers of the local authority authorised officers, including fixed payment notices, in relation to nuisance noise offences. However, the primary responsibility for enforcement of nuisance noise issues will rest with local authorities.

Just to clarify: they can go up a ladder to your alarm box and disable it but not actually enter your home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Thought they could do this already. They did it to my brothers house alarm years ago. He was away for 2 weeks and the alarm was going off for a couple of days. The neighbours must have had enough, understandably and called the Gardai. They took the box off and cut the wires. Brother arrived home to a very pissed off cul de sac. He bought every household a bottle of wine as an apology...:o

• Advertisement
Advertisement