Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self Censorship

Options
  • 25-05-2009 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

Would somebody be able to define self censorship for me? With an example relating to RTE if possible. I'm really stuck here trying to get my head around it for study

Any help would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,432 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Usually its a human thing, not an organisational thing.

Human 1 (thinking, wow she's really fat): "Wow, that woman is really ..."
    Human 2 "Really what?"
    Human 1 "..really big-boned".

Examples with the media, were the silence about Haughey's lifestyle (financial and romantic) while he preached to others or RTÉ apologising (something about Cowen) recently, before anyone complained.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

I got my head around it in the end anyway but thanks for the response :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 barradctv

The more tolerate the state the more it allows the inconvenience of filmakers criticizing it. TV and film etc is considered more dangerous than books because it might be seen by the"uneducated masses"

Between 1959 - 1993 more than 100 television programs on northern ireland were banned, censored or delayed by "the broadcasting companies themselves". The goverment rarely intervened directly.

Since freedom of the press is suppose to be one of the defining conditions of democracy, the print media are in theory the closest to enjoying freedom to publish without prior consent.Cinema and broadcasting are in a different situation.

Cinema which the social and political establishment originally perceived as scientific curiosity or a form of entertainment but not a form of free speech , was subject to regulation in order to curb its potential for sinful indecency,be other wise was left to the regulation of the market, and the industries self regulation.

Under actually existing democracy, regulation doesn't usually amount to direct censorship, but comprises institutional codes of practice, and legal limits ( copyrights), conditions which foster "self censorship" and conformity with approved codes of representation (not to mention the fear of losing your job).

Example of self censorship:

Harry Watt co-director of "Night Mail"

"the truth is if we had indulged in real social criticism to any extent, we would of immediately been without sponsorship, and our whole experiment, which was artistically a fine one, would have finished. So we comprised"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Id agree - books are much more free from censorship. I remember reading an interview with the author of Fight Club and his experience was there was two types of books. Mills and Boons/P.S. I love you type stuff for the ladies who are a major factor in the book market. And if you move away from that market, you can write almost anything no matter how horrific, objectionable, obscene or disgusting. Because barely anyone is going to read it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement