Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lights on a 2001 .99L Opel Corsa?

• 25-05-2009 11:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭

Hi there, have my NCT on Wednesday so checked my lights last night with the help of my housemate. The reversing light on the right hand side is gone and I'm not sure how to change it. My manual does not seem to match my car 100%....looks like it is a manual for the left hand drive version :confused:

Also sounds crazy to me but my housemate reckons that a lot of the older cars only have 1 reversing light and that they just put the white glass part on both sides for 'symmetry'...I feel stupid for asking this but can anyone confirm if this is at all true? Sounds crazy to me...

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Its easy to change bulbs on the back. the bulb holder just clips out
    The corsa has one reverse light(on the left) and on the other side it has a fog light, so check if your fog bulb is working..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Balls...is the reversing light part of the test??

I've replaced the switch on the top of my gearbox on my Vectra twice already but it must be something else that's stopping the light from working. I'm not that bothered about having them working but have the test on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Lenny wrote: »
    The corsa has one reverse light(on the left) and on the other side it has a fog light, so check if your fog bulb is working..

aha thanks :) ye it was the light on the right that was not coming on :D no wonder seeing as I never checked the fog light. Thank you so much for that.
    bigkev49 wrote: »
    Balls...is the reversing light part of the test??

As far as I know all rear lamps are checked - as per their website:

http://www.ncts.ie/inspection_list.html##4

All I know is I certainly wouldn't want to fail my NCT over a fecking bulb. I know retests that only require visual inspections are free but it would be a pain having to return to the NCT centre.

Lenny wrote: »

Can you explain how? When I was looking it looked like I had to unscrew the complete perspex part....

kingtut wrote: »

As far as I know all rear lamps are checked - as per their website:
    Rang them there, as long as the casing around it isn't broken they don't worry about reversing lamps.
    kingtut wrote: »
    Can you explain how? When I was looking it looked like I had to unscrew the complete perspex part....

Are you coming at it from the rear of the car or inside the boot?!

Peel away the fabric covering the light cluster and, I think, theres two twisty bits that you use to bring out the cluster. Keep it in your head where the bulb is that your replacing and don't touch the glass of the bulb when handling it. There will only be one wire connector to the cluster so once that's disconnected it will come out in your hands.

• Advertisement

Rang them there, as long as the casing around it isn't broken they don't worry about reversing lamps.

There is a little bit of perspex (is that what you call the casing?) missing from one of my reversing lamps. Will they fail me?
    Are you coming at it from the rear of the car or inside the boot?!

it now looks like my fog light is not working...am i right in saying the fog light is on the right hand side in the same position as the reversing light which is on the left? I can remove the whole light arrangement on the right hand side by unscrewing a few screws but im not sure if this is what I am meant to do....oh and the screws are only accesible when the boot is open....

I'm happy to admit i am a guy and know nothing about cars :(

Thanks

Just realised yours is a 2001 new shape Corsa, is the fog light built into the bumper? If so, this is your answer. Sorry for the earlier advice, thought it was the old shape Corsa at first.:o
    You should be able to get your hand/arm in to remove the bulb holder without removing the whole bumper, but you need small hands, and have to accept the fact that you will lose some skin in the process. The hardest part is the fact that you can't see what you are trying to do, and so have to do it by feel alone, while lying on your back, on the ground, part way under the back of the car.

Just realised yours is a 2001 new shape Corsa, is the fog light built into the bumper? If so, this is your answer. Sorry for the earlier advice, thought it was the old shape Corsa at first.:o

No probs. lol at the wiki quote :D

I'm not sure of the 'shape' but it looks just like this car....(see attached pic)

The purple on the left is my reversing light...the green on the right is what I think is meant to be my fog light....and the entire section in red is the part that I can remove when I take out 2 screws (accesible one the boot is open).

AFAIK the red is your reversing light. I'm wide open to correction here but as far as I know the fog light is one of the red ovals built into your bumper.

My lack of familiarity with the Corsa C is showing, sorry for the confusion.

AFAIK the red is your reversing light. I'm wide open to correction here but as far as I know the fog light is one of the red ovals built into your bumper.

My lack of familiarity with the Corsa C is showing, sorry for the confusion.

My reversing light is the white bit on the left hand side....the only light that I cannot figure out now is the white bit on the right hand side. Apparently my car only has 1 reversing light (on the left).......NCT is tonight and I still have 2 problems...

1) what is the white bit on the right for seeing as it is not a 2nd reversing light apparently.
    2) where on earth is my fog light :confused:

• Advertisement

The Corsa is usually a LHD drive car, only produced in RHD for Ireland and England. It's possible that there are two lamps but only one wired up depending on whether the car is LHD or RHD.

Advertisement