Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Gameplanet/Eurogamer users?

Options
  • 25-05-2009 11:20am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I bought Riddick 2 (Dark Athena) over the weekend on eurogamer.gamesplanet.com (decent price) and for the life of me I can't figure out how to get it to install on anything but the c: drive. Anyone know if it's possible? I have emailed their support but since they seem to be as crap as most online support folks I still haven't heard from them so thought I'd ask.

It's laughable really. This to me is a basic requirement yet their support site doesn't cover it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

musician wrote: »
    I can't figure out how to get it to install on anything but the c: drive.

Is there no "Advanced Install" option during the process?

Edit: There is a way of forcing the install onto another drive, but it requires a registry change to set your default drive to it's letter. It is important to not perform any Windows updates or other application install whilst this change is in place. It's really worst case though, you should be able to specify the drive in the install process.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Is there no "Advanced Install" option during the process?

Edit: There is a way of forcing the install onto another drive, but it requires a registry change to set your default drive to it's letter. It is important to not perform any Windows updates or other application install whilst this change is in place. It's really worst case though, you should be able to specify the drive in the install process.

It asks you to specify where you want it to store temporary files and once you do it tears on and installs the game on c:. Maybe the temporary files contain a proper installer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

musician wrote: »
    Maybe the temporary files contain a proper installer.

More than likely yes. It's probably downloading the content that would be on the dvd to your PC, installing and then deleting this. Download the temporary files, cancel the install and then have a look in this directory. There should be a file called "install.exe", click on this rather than anything that has "auto" in its name like "autorun" or "autostart"... etc

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Maybe like steam it installs the games to wherever the client is installed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

You download a series of files. The first is an installer exe, the rest bin files. Running the installer asks you where you want to put the temporary files, extracts them and installs the game. So I will try cancelling the install but I suspect when I cancel it then the temporary files might be removed. Last time I use this balls of system with crap support.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

By any chance does it install to where you extract the original files you downloaded? As in if you run it from C: it installs to C but if you run it from D: it might install to D?

I solved it. I cleared enough space on c. Turns out it asks you where to extract the temporary files and then ignores you and extracts them to the c: drive anyway. This resulted me in running out of space the first time and I assumed it was because it installed to c: as I had told it to extract the temp files to d:. Anyway with enough space on c: it extracted to c: ignoring my request for it to extract them to d: and then ran the actual installer where I was able to specify d: for the actual game. So not ideal but I got there in the end. Essentially if you don't have 7gig free on the c: drive then tough. Cheers for the suggestions. If you can put up with this it is cheaper than GAME for example (€35 approx.)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

i got Call of Juarez from them after 3 days it started asking me for a CD :confused:

yes folks i had to get a NO CD to play a game i bought online :confused:

was only 4 euro or something , good game tho.

Advertisement