Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North County Dublin Astronomy Group

Options
  • 25-05-2009 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭

Hi! I'm looking to get an observing group going in or around my own area (Skerries) at the moment. What we are looking to do is get a group going who meet up to observe the stars/planets etc. The main reason behind this is that heading out into the countryside with a telescope on your own can be something that might not be too advisable so the initial driver behind this is to get a group together who will meet at arranged locations a few times a month.

It's early days yet but a few of the people I've been talking to have their own telescopes, as I do myself. This is open to anyone who is interested in astronomy and even if you don't have equipment and just want to dip your toe in the water so to speak and see what all the fuss is about, then you're welcome as well.

I would be interested in hearing from farmers/landowners who would not object to allowing a group of people to use a corner of one of their fields from time to time. We would certainly appreciate it.

I've already created a thread on the astronomy forum. http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055571948
    If you are interested, drop a post on the forum or drop me a mail at nmcarroll@gmail.com

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭squonk

Hi Everyone! Just an update on what's happening at the moment. I've been in touch with Fingal CoCo and they, initially at least, sound pretty receptive to the idea of allowing after hours access to the park in Ardgillan. The lady I was talking to is going to talk to the manager to find out some more information from him about whether an arangement could be possible.

What she did say, and here is where I could do with some help from any of you who know about this sort of thing, is that the council require a formal group to have public liability insurance to a value of 6.5M. Now I have no idea of the cost of something like that which might put an oar in the works for this plan. I'm guessing the cost of this type of insurance could be fairly high - but does anyone have any ball park figures to hand? Now what she did say was that you can ask insurance companies to cover you for the day, which is also acceptable to the council, but for what we're doing I think that could be awkward. As you all know, sometimes observing sessions can be organised on short notice when the weather permits.

As an alternative, I would be interested in hearing from anyone with a field or ground they could let us use. I think that'll be the plan B! The advantage is that we wouldn't need insurance in that case.

It's always the red tape that gets you once you start getting into these things but we'll get there in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

squonk - You could ask those in the know in the Banking & Insurance & Pensions forum about the cost of public liability insurance.

Alternatively, give Morgan Quinn & Co in Skerries a call. I'm sure that they'd be able to give you a ball-park figure.

Advertisement