Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for Milk Flavours

Options
  • 25-05-2009 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

I'm a South African and moved here last year (and loving it! :) .

I really enjoy baking and like to do a little experimenting and my latest idea has something to do with milk flavourings.

In SA there are 4 different Nesquik flavours (choc, banana, cream soda & strawberry) but I have only seen 2 flavours available in the stores.

Is there another product similar to Nesquik with a bigger range of flavours? (Jabula is a favourite store of mine and they have the other Nesquik flavours but I'm hoping to find someplace more convenient to get to)

Or...

Does anyone know where I can buy milkshake syrups? (it's for a kids recipe so what I'm after is lots of fun flavours like bubblegum etc)

Edit: I forgot to mention that the purpose is to add flavours to whipped cream or pastry cream :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

We're fairly fundamental here with our milk. I think strawberry, chocolate and banana are about as exotic are you're going to get.

On a similar note - does anyone remember 'Milk Mate'??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

olaola wrote: »
    'Milk Mate'??
    Yep, nice syrup. My mother used to only buy it to make use kids use up excess milk, so smart feckers we were we would stop drinking milk and let it build up so she had to buy it! gone are the days of the milkman though so people buy what they need now.

I got flavourings on www.myprotein.co.uk
    With myprotein you can get 5% off your first order using codes. My code is MP99441 I get some referral points or something when people use it. I got strawberry, mine was actually a different brand they no longer stock, their strawberry gets the best reviews.

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/products/flavouring-systems/

It has no sugar for those watching calories, I use it with oats & milk and in pancake mixtures too.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MandyM

rubadub wrote: »
    I got flavourings on www.myprotein.co.uk
    With myprotein you can get 5% off your first order using codes. My code is MP99441 I get some referral points or something when people use it. I got strawberry, mine was actually a different brand they no longer stock, their strawberry gets the best reviews.

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/products/flavouring-systems/

It has no sugar for those watching calories, I use it with oats & milk and in pancake mixtures too.

Hmmm, those look like something I could use, thanks!

Any more suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

More here, but I think they have a fixed price postage up to 25kg, so you will be paying a lot for some tiny bottles. They might have a smaller size rate, I only ever bought large amounts.
    http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/product.php/204/20/bp_liquiflav_50ml

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

You probably won't find a huge selection in the shops of flavouring syrups and powders, but you could make your own handily enough. Just blitz whatever flavour you want with the milk, i.e. bananas, strawberries, cocoa powder.

For something like bubblegum, I wouldn't recommend liquidizing it :) But, you can heat up the milk to a simmer, throw in some chopped-up bubblegum of choice (Hubba Bubba would work here), cover, and leave to infuse for 30mins-1hr. Strain, discard gum, then add some food colouring if you like.

Doing it this way means you have a lot more freedom to create various flavour combinations, and more naturally too.

• Advertisement

You probably won't find a huge selection in the shops of flavouring syrups and powders, but you could make your own handily enough. Just blitz whatever flavour you want with the milk, i.e. bananas, strawberries, cocoa powder.

For something like bubblegum, I wouldn't recommend liquidizing it :) But, you can heat up the milk to a simmer, throw in some chopped-up bubblegum of choice (Hubba Bubba would work here), cover, and leave to infuse for 30mins-1hr. Strain, discard gum, then add some food colouring if you like.

Doing it this way means you have a lot more freedom to create various flavour combinations, and more naturally too.

I did find some stockists of milkshake syrups but then you're buying in huge quantities!

I guess I'll just have to play around :)

Thanks for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭auditek923

avonmore do a range of fresh milk flavours. you can buy chocolate, banana or strawberry flavours. they come in 330ml, or 1 litre

auditek923 wrote: »
    avonmore do a range of fresh milk flavours. you can buy chocolate, banana or strawberry flavours. they come in 330ml, or 1 litre

Thanks, but I actually want something I can use to flavour whipped cream or pastry cream, it's not actually flavoured milk that I'm after :)

Although... if I make pastry cream I could probably use already flavoured milk! :)

Advertisement