Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The problem with catchphrases and slogans....

Options
  • 25-05-2009 11:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭

I know that some sympathisers will probably flame me for this, but I was stunned this morning to receive a flyer through the letterbox from Toireasa Ferris......one that said :

"Because YOU Deserve Better"

I couldn't help wondering if the same flyer arrived in to Ann McCabe; whatever about SF's involvement-or-otherwise, this candidate was on national TV and could not condemn the murder of that lady's husband.

Yes, Toireasa, Ann McCabe and others DO "Deserve Better", which is why we won't be voting for YOU.

And yes, if FF dropped a similarly-worded flyer in the letterbox of someone who's just lost their pension or their job, it would be similarly stupid.

But on the reverse of this flyer, Toireasa goes on to say

"We all have family, friends and neighbours who are suffering the consequences [snip] It doesn't have to be like this".

The "snipped" bit refers to the government squander and wastefulness, which she rightfully condemns; but could just as easily refer to other things that she refuses to condemn.

She also goes on to highlight the fact that the people of Munster rejected the Lisbon Treaty and says "Their decision needs to be respected"; the people of Munster & Ireland also rejected violence and murder via the Good Friday Agreement - what about THAT decision, Toireasa ?

Very selective in your choice of issues to highlight, Toireasa, but we all remember your appearance on The Late Late Show, so we know where you stand on the others that aren't listed on your flyer:

"It wouldn’t be fair to condemn one individual action when over 3,000 were killed. I don’t feel I have the right, or that it would be fair to condemn one individual act".

Condemning the actions of FF, and their effect on decent people, is justified and correct.

But there are other actions that should have been condemned first.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

I also notice the last sentence - "change you can believe in". Sound familiar?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I see Eddie Kimpwene's campaign slogan in Castlebar is "Is Féidir Linn". I thought it was clever... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

I believe that nobody really interprets catchphrases and, as such, they're a complete waste of space. When you guys raed them, do you actually register what they mean? It's all just a load of tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Kevster wrote: »
    I believe that nobody really interprets catchphrases and, as such, they're a complete waste of space. When you guys raed them, do you actually register what they mean? It's all just a load of tripe.

It worked wonders for Obama!!

I'm still waiting for his "change"... the only change i've seen so far is a new face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

hehe, I suppose you're right. I still hear 'change' in my head whenever I see him. Maybe it's just the old boring Irish slogans that are simply passing straight through my head.

'Giving it my all'
    'We can do it'
    'Better for you'

... ...:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

I saw a poster for Kathy Sinott with the catch phrase: "No party, just you"
    WTF does that mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

When you guys raed them, do you actually register what they mean?

No, because they don't make any sense - particularly when the words & promises and rhetoric are not backed up by actions.
    It's all just a load of tripe.

Agreed.

Advertisement