Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good club / late bar in Waterford City?

• 25-05-2009 12:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Heading to Dunmore East for a stag in a fortnight. Dunmore East is a great little town but a bit limited so we're looking at grabbing a bus perhaps into the city on the Sat night and wondering if there are any recommendations for a good spot for latenight craic?

- we're all 30 ish
    - we're not 'clubbers' as such, we don't like trashy pop, dancey clubs
    - most of us are into music, good music would be a plus but it's a one-off wknd so we won't be too fussy...
    - mainly looking for latenight drinking, decent music if possible, nice smoking section maybe, and plenty of chicks for the unattached! - the rest of us just want somewhere with good craic and as laid back as possible.

I'm fairly familiar with Dunmore East itself but any recommendations for there would be very welcome also.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I'm not going to actually recommend anything, I'm just going to sit and wait for all the posters here to come running along shouting "GO TO THE FORUM".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

harvey's is probably your best bet.... has most of the things your looking for... nice big beer garden if you want some peace too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Probably better in Waterford forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

harveys is good. You wont believe the smoking area in there its bloody savage. Fountain and all. Trees and big huge televisions. Has to be the best smoking area in the country by a long shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Ya I goto Harveys its not withiut its flaws by any means but prob is your best bet and The beer garden is gran for a bit of peace.

• Advertisement

ziedth wrote: »
    Ya I goto Harveys its not withiut its flaws by any means but prob is your best bet and The beer garden is gran for a bit of peace.
    every place has flaws. Rubys main flaw is that it opens in the first place. And friendly raul or whatever ya call him.

AdMMM wrote: »
    I'm not going to actually recommend anything, I'm just going to sit and wait for all the posters here to come running along shouting "GO TO THE FORUM".
    Lol. Personally I dont mind the forum. Wouldnt be me top choice though even though I love the music down there. To many emo's for my liking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

thanks folks
    if its an emo hang-out then please warn me now so I can avoid it...we're all 30 or above, with not a stripey jumper or lip-piercing between us so no thanks! We're open minded enough but if thats the kind of place the forum is forget about it.

If u just mean it's a bit more indie then it might be an option, I'd be grungier than most of the lads but have to be careful I'm not draggin them somewhere they'd stick out like a sore thumb too

edit:
    the more I think about, I should be just asking you where all the stags and hens go...wouldn't dream of going somewhere like that normally but I suppose this is a stag!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Yeah I think no matter where you go you'll stick out like a sore thumb as you'll be the drunkest there by far (the only way to know if you're doing it right too :) ). Most people that come down this way seem to get absolutely rat arsed in the hotel before stumbling, swaying and staggering their way up the road into town. John St is where you'd most likely head. It's where 80% of all the late bars and clubs are located. Once you're there you can just rely on your drunken instincts to take you to a place where you see the shortest skirts and the best music. That place will most likely be Ruby's.

God Help You.

thanks lads - harveys didnt used to be Docs / Docks by any chance??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

never heard of docks...harveys used to be sheffs/shefflins

Yeah I think no matter where you go you'll stick out like a sore thumb as you'll be the drunkest there by far (the only way to know if you're doing it right too :) ). Most people that come down this way seem to get absolutely rat arsed in the hotel before stumbling, swaying and staggering their way up the road into town. John St is where you'd most likely head. It's where 80% of all the late bars and clubs are located. Once you're there you can just rely on your drunken instincts to take you to a place where you see the shortest skirts and the best music. That place will most likely be Ruby's.

God Help You.

unfortunately, I probably cant argue with ya. Normally wouldn't describe my Sat night exploits but let's face it, it's a stag so par for the course...except for the hotel part, we're renting houses in Dunmore :) God help Dunmore...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

I'd have to agree with Harvey's as the best place for ye, good mix of ages in there on a Saturday night, but I would add that it's probably not worth going down there until after midnight.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Well it's the best! You want a good night with great music then its the Forum hands down. All the rest play crap chart music over and over again, give me a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

Lol there's a parody.

I say Harvey's to you to be honest because The Forum has a lot of younger people there and probably wouldn't be your scene for a stag do.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Lol there's a parody.

I say Harvey's to you to be honest because The Forum has a lot of younger people there and probably wouldn't be your scene for a stag do.
    The crowd in the forum is a good mix. Sure there are lots of young people but also plenty in their 30's and 40's. Including myself and many friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

You should try Dignity, They get a lot of Hen partys, Harveys is over rated only thing going for it is the beer garden, but you wont be spoiled for choice in Waterford im afraid.

Harveys would seem to be in pole position at this stage...you never know, if Dunmore East is good craic we might get lazy, old gits that we are...thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Ruby's lounge has live music every night so I'd say ye could go there around 10 or 11 if you're into your music.

Harvey's might be a bit too "poppy" for you I'd say, but if it's a stag and you want a big place with a lot of people that's your spot for later on.

Dignity is a gay bar in town that everybody seems to be flocking to at the moment. A friend of mine was there on Saturday night and she said there were two or three hen parties in there. So ye might meet a few ladies in a similar state as yourselves over there!

They're all within five minutes of each other so you shouldn't have too much bother to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

You should try Dignity, They get a lot of Hen partys, Harveys is over rated only thing going for it is the beer garden, but you wont be spoiled for choice in Waterford im afraid.

Now there's an understatement if ever I heard one. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

The reason you won't be spoilt for choice in Waterford is that the crowd that the town gets every week doesn't justify opening many other bars. It's the reason why so many have closed in the past 5 years. Most of the people who complain about Waterford's nightlife were last in a nightclub when Fat Sam was a real person (who used to love playing with matches)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

The reason you won't be spoilt for choice in Waterford is that the crowd that the town gets every week doesn't justify opening many other bars. It's the reason why so many have closed in the past 5 years. Most of the people who complain about Waterford's nightlife were last in a nightclub when Fat Sam was a real person (who used to love playing with matches)

Waterford is fine for population of 50,000 people. It's not Dublin ffs.

I would have thought Ruby's Lounge (not Ruby's upstairs), Electric Avenue or the Forum for music. Harvey's for hens and stags and pop tunes from the past few decades.

As for pubs closing down, like Egans and a few others, people seem to forget that Dignity, Ruby's/Ruby's Lounge, Baker st./Fletchers/Next place and a few others have opened. (Then there's a load of new places that have replaced older places, like Mason's replacing Club LA.) The only thing that has really changed is that the new places are less traditional and more temporary pubs and are all clustered around the junction.

What's with the ffs...is it your time of the month merlante?

Wexford town has roughly one fifth the population of waterford city yet the bars and clubs up there are generally heaving at weekends and they do a brisk enough trade midweek as well. Limerick only has about 4-5 thousand more people than Waterford and it wipes the floor with us.

Music promoters will tell you that the two worst "major" areas at the moment to promote any kind of gig are Sligo and Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

Anyone who thinks the nightlife here is adequate either

a) doesn't go out

b) doesn't live here

c) delusional

d) otter / duck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

I think you've got your counties mixed up - Docs used to be in Limerick..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Ruby's lounge has live music every night so I'd say ye could go there around 10 or 11 if you're into your music.

Harvey's might be a bit too "poppy" for you I'd say, but if it's a stag and you want a big place with a lot of people that's your spot for later on.

Dignity is a gay bar in town that everybody seems to be flocking to at the moment. A friend of mine was there on Saturday night and she said there were two or three hen parties in there. So ye might meet a few ladies in a similar state as yourselves over there!

They're all within five minutes of each other so you shouldn't have too much bother to be honest.

so much so that the gays now stay away

Probably because they wanted it all to themselves as a drop in centre. How do they expect the owner to make a living?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

tonc76 wrote: »
    so much so that the gays now stay away

so, out of curiosity, where does Daffyd go now to wolf down a few beers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Probably because they wanted it all to themselves as a drop in centre. How do they expect the owner to make a living?

Don't know - is that a criteria for you when you're going to a pub?
    old gregg wrote: »
    so, out of curiosity, where does Daffyd go now to wolf down a few beers?

No idea - its just what I heard about the place - more straight than "non straight" people

• Advertisement

tonc76 wrote: »
    Don't know - is that a criteria for you when you're going to a pub?

No idea - its just what I heard about the place - more straight than "non straight" people

What?!

Advertisement