Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good club / late bar in Waterford City?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

I've been told that of late there have been more straight people in there than gay/bi and thats the reason that they are now staying away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

tonc76 wrote: »
    I've been told that of late there have been more straight people in there than gay/bi and thats the reason that they are now staying away.
    this has the makings of a wonderful off topic sociological discussion but alas I'll not be the one to kick it off here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

Junior wrote: »
    I think you've got your counties mixed up - Docs used to be in Limerick..

stone the crows Junior - you're right :eek:

now that must have been a hard night...:pac::pac::pac:

thanks all, harveys seems to be the place for our 'group of professional thirty-somethings, looking for a change of scenery'....as I told the person we booked our houses off :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

What's with the ffs...is it your time of the month merlante?

Wexford town has roughly one fifth the population of waterford city yet the bars and clubs up there are generally heaving at weekends and they do a brisk enough trade midweek as well. Limerick only has about 4-5 thousand more people than Waterford and it wipes the floor with us.

Music promoters will tell you that the two worst "major" areas at the moment to promote any kind of gig are Sligo and Waterford.

The ffs is because I'm sick of people bitching about the nightlife in Waterford. There always seems to be a thread going. Why don't people just go and live somewhere else if they're so upset about the nightlife? Personally, I think it's fine, maybe even very good depending on what you are looking for. Most of the people who complain about the nightlife in Waterford only ever go out to one place and have a permanent boycott of all the others. I'd say the place is top class for hen and stag nights, with all the popular pubs and clubs are all in the one place, and you wouldn't go too far wrong no matter where you went -- and because most of them are free anyway, you can move around. As for music, I often hear good stuff coming out of Electric Avenue and Ruby's Lounge. Haven't been in the Forum in a while. I think it's a case of familiarity breeding contempt and the usual cynicism about all things Waterford coming through here as well -- at least with some contributors.

Wexford has a third of the population of Waterford. Are the clubs really so good? Do you not think that these sort of opinions are objective? Maybe Wexford people love the nightlife in Waterford. All the pubs and clubs do a brisk to packed-out trade around the junction on a Friday or Saturday night, and you'll find something going on somewhere any night of the week. Go into Harvey's on a Saturday night or on a Wednesday during the college year, and you won't be able to breath in there. Ruby's and Ruby's Lounge/Woodman fills up as well. The Kazbar is fit to burst at the weekends. Try getting into Geoffs. Dignity is doing a roaring trade by the looks of it. Limerick is nearly twice the size of Waterford, with twice as many students, so I'm not surprised that there's more there.

Maybe people just don't like gigs as much as a few drinks listening to crap music. Maybe that's what people actually want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭paddy smith

i cant remember the name of it but the gay bar on johnstown bridge is great craic for a night out,
    im not gay myself:confused: but meself and a few of the lads went in there a few weeks ago for a look and the craic was ninty

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

it seems the gays/bi,s have flown the coup and have set up shop in kilkenny now!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

They haven't flown anyway...they're just bringing a bit of colour to another county. Fair play to them I say. I do think they face a battle with the hardened gays (sorry haha) who do tend to get overprotective of the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

All the pubs as has been said are basically on John Street start in the wacky apple, kazbar and geoffs and just work from there if your looking for live music rubys lounge or just listening to chart/pop music go to harveys later on but usually the plan goes out the window on stag nights so as i said start in the wacky apple and see where the night takes you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

merlante wrote: »
    The ffs is because I'm sick of people bitching about the nightlife in Waterford. There always seems to be a thread going. Why don't people just go and live somewhere else if they're so upset about the nightlife? Personally, I think it's fine, maybe even very good depending on what you are looking for. Most of the people who complain about the nightlife in Waterford only ever go out to one place and have a permanent boycott of all the others. I'd say the place is top class for hen and stag nights, with all the popular pubs and clubs are all in the one place, and you wouldn't go too far wrong no matter where you went -- and because most of them are free anyway, you can move around. As for music, I often hear good stuff coming out of Electric Avenue and Ruby's Lounge. Haven't been in the Forum in a while. I think it's a case of familiarity breeding contempt and the usual cynicism about all things Waterford coming through here as well -- at least with some contributors.

Wexford has a third of the population of Waterford. Are the clubs really so good? Do you not think that these sort of opinions are objective? Maybe Wexford people love the nightlife in Waterford. All the pubs and clubs do a brisk to packed-out trade around the junction on a Friday or Saturday night, and you'll find something going on somewhere any night of the week. Go into Harvey's on a Saturday night or on a Wednesday during the college year, and you won't be able to breath in there. Ruby's and Ruby's Lounge/Woodman fills up as well. The Kazbar is fit to burst at the weekends. Try getting into Geoffs. Dignity is doing a roaring trade by the looks of it. Limerick is nearly twice the size of Waterford, with twice as many students, so I'm not surprised that there's more there.

Maybe people just don't like gigs as much as a few drinks listening to crap music. Maybe that's what people actually want.

In principle you're right, there are some great bands playing in Ruby Lounge (tomorrow night for one ;)) but with that exception there isn't much during the week which is when I'd be out. You're spot on about people's opinions though. Almost everyone on here seems to hate Muldoon's yet it's still busy at the weekends and it's the same with Ruby's.

Adyx wrote: »
    In principle you're right, there are some great bands playing in Ruby Lounge (tomorrow night for one ;)) but with that exception there isn't much during the week which is when I'd be out. You're spot on about people's opinions though. Almost everyone on here seems to hate Muldoon's yet it's still busy at the weekends and it's the same with Ruby's.

Just looking here: http://www.whazon.com/waterford/livemusic.php

You have something on every day:
    MAY 2008

Tuesday 26 May 2009
    The Remedees Rubys

Wednesday 27 May 2009
    Heineken Green Spheres presents Friendly Fires / The Cocknbullkid / Casiokids. The Forum
    Charlie Parr 9pm, Electric Ave.
    Doozer Rubys

Thursday 28 May 2009
    San Fran Fiasco Rubys

Friday 29 May 2009
    Straw Dogs Rubys

Saturday 30 May 2009
    Kieran Goss 10pm, Grand Hotel, Tramore
    The Navigators Rubys

Sunday 31 May 2009
    The Remedees Masons
    Brand New Cadillac Rubys

ONGOING EVENTS 2008

Mondays
    T.H.Doolans : Trad Music
    Masons : Rat Pack Mondays

Tuesdays

Wednesdays
    The Thatch : Trad Music
    Phil Grimes : Trad Music
    Dooley's Hotel : Trad Music

Thursdays
    Kitty Kiernans : Jazz Band
    Mansion House : Trad Music
    Three Shippes : Ben Delaney

Fridays
    Gingerman : Live Band

Saturdays
    Holycross Bar : Live Music
    Kitty Kiernans : Live Music
    Beckett's : Live Music
    Jack Meades : Trad Music
    The Thatch : Live Music

Sundays
    Holycross Bar : Live Music @ 6.30pm
    Jack Meades : Live Music @ 4pm
    Mansion House : Live Music
    The Thatch: Live Trad @ 6pm

And I don't see the Candelight sessions in Philly Grimes or anything from Electric Avenue or the Kazbar in there. So there's a lot on. What do the people who are complaining go to? I reckon they go to the same place every Friday and moan about it the whole night long.

We have this 'the forum is great' versus 'i'd never go to the forum ever in my life for political reasons' -- the same with Geoffs. What a joke. Waterford is a small Irish city and half the people living there decide at 16 that they will never ever go to half the pubs and clubs in the place. Sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

What do the people who are complaining go to?

Not the bunch of boring, not worth the money or effort, half-arsed cover bands you posted anyway! :pac:

EDIT: On a positive note, Charlie Parr looks to be freakin deadly tonight.

KingLoser wrote: »
    Not the bunch of boring, not worth the money or effort, half-arsed cover bands you posted anyway! :pac:

EDIT: On a positive note, Charlie Parr looks to be freakin deadly tonight.

Yeah, but I mean that's not the fault of the pubs and clubs. As you can see from my post there are a ton of places willing to host gigs, they will host gigs that people want to see. Maybe the gigging scene is just not vibrant in Waterford? Not the fault of the pubs but the people.

Everyone is going to have their cup of tea, but I've had a few enjoyable Thursday nights in Philly Grimes at the Candelight sessions where there are real musicians playing real music, though I haven't been in a good few months. But sometimes you'd struggle to fill the tiny bar upstair, and the bands are relying on all their mates turning up half the time. Who's fault is that? Not Philly Grimes.

The point is, people in Waterford don't try anything new, they are afraid to go to certain pubs and venues, they seem to have this attitude of waiting for somewhere to become popular before they will bother their arse trying it out. They delight in predicting that such and such a place will be out of business in 6 months and they're often right because there are hundreds of people like them saying the same thing and not one of them will buy a drink in the place even out of curiosity. Fletchers is a perfect example, "that place will never last boy!" And the same fool will complain that there's no where good to go out in Waterford.

My theory is that the people who complain the most, go to the same place every weekend, spend **** all, complain and moan all night, run down everywhere else, run down Waterford to tourists and those from out of town, laugh at people trying to open new pubs and clubs, say this or that would never work in Waterford, suggest nothing, add nothing and never try to get anything off the ground themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

Personally, I think if people are not attending the entertainment offered, then it's up to those offering the entertainment to raise the bar.

Not up to the people to suck it up and bear it.

KingLoser wrote: »
    Personally, I think if people are not attending the entertainment offered, then it's up to those offering the entertainment to raise the bar.

Not up to the people to suck it up and bear it.

In fairness I disagree, the pubs respond to the demand. Most of them will have any kind of gig the people want. People who run bars are not necessarily people who are into their music but they are into making money. If bands were knocking on their doors and people were demanding certain bands, they'd be playing. I'm sure in these trying times, some bars would try anything to get the people in.

Ultimately, it's down to what people want. Unfortunately, what a few lads on boards.ie want is not necessarily what the public at large want. Otherwise the Green party would be major government party, not the minor. ;)

There is entertainment being offered, just not the right entertainment according to some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

merlante wrote: »
    In fairness I disagree, the pubs respond to the demand. Most of them will have any kind of gig the people want. People who run bars are not necessarily people who are into their music but they are into making money. If bands were knocking on their doors and people were demanding certain bands, they'd be playing. I'm sure in these trying times, some bars would try anything to get the people in.

Ultimately, it's down to what people want. Unfortunately, what a few lads on boards.ie want is not necessarily what the public at large want. Otherwise the Green party would be major government party, not the minor. ;)

There is entertainment being offered, just not the right entertainment according to some.

And its what people will pay to see. I don't just mean a cover charge but even buy enough drinks to make it worth the pub/promoter's while. It's all very well saying we should get more decent music and less half-arsed cover bands but people will rarely pay to see a unknown original act. I have to admit to actually being in one of the half-arsed cover bands mentioned above and maybe it's not the most important or relevant part of the music industry, but the fact is that's what an awful lot of people want to hear. We always get a great reaction so we must be entertaining to some people.

Advertisement