Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

water pump pressure loss

Options
  • 25-05-2009 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭

My house has a water pump and lately I noticed it coming in a lot.it progressively got worse to the point where it was kicking in every 30 seconds or so.I turned off all taps etc and still the same problem,so I turned off the outlet from the pump and it still happens.

I am wondering if the problem is some kind of non return valve which is losing pressure or the pressure switch itself.The obvious thing would be replace the pump but they run about 200 euro as far as I know,I am capable of most repairs myself if I knew where to start.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Ronin247 wrote: »
    My house has a water pump and lately I noticed it coming in a lot.it progressively got worse to the point where it was kicking in every 30 seconds or so.I turned off all taps etc and still the same problem,so I turned off the outlet from the pump and it still happens.

I am wondering if the problem is some kind of non return valve which is losing pressure or the pressure switch itself.The obvious thing would be replace the pump but they run about 200 euro as far as I know,I am capable of most repairs myself if I knew where to start.

Domestic water pumps often have a pressure vessel that is half filled with air and half with water. When a tap is opened the pressure vessel supplies water until its pressure drops sufficiently to switch on the pump via its pressure switch. The purpose is to prevent the pump from continuously starting and stopping even if (say) a tap is dripping. If the air is gone from the pressure vessel the pump will keep starting and stopping as the water pressure will drop instantly as soon as any water at all is drawn. Might be worth checking if there is such a cylinder in your system and if there is, checking if it's become full of water and has no air.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

A few things also, how old is pump? Is it a negitive head pump? If it has a little expansion vessel on it then its a neg-head. Might be the impellers could be on there way out. Some have plastic empellers,some brass.

Whats the name of the pump?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

What ART said. It's the pressure vessel.
    There is a little black cap exactly like a tyre valve cap, screw this off and press in the valve. There should be a hiss of air. If not bladder within gone and vessel full of water. Cheap enough to replace at any plumbers suppliers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

It is a leader pump

http://www.leaderpumps.it/inoxtronic230_gb.html

It is the 240 model and is 2 years old.
    There is no pressure vessel in the system and I isolated the outlet side 8 inches from the pump and it still lost pressure.

Thanks for all the help and ideas so far.

Advertisement