Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castletroy Cycle Lanes

Options
  • 25-05-2009 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone has noticed the amount of broken glass on the cycle lanes in and around the castletroy area? I cycle to work in castletroy everyday and this is becoming an increasing problem. I've had 2 punctures in the past month and to say I'm pissed off about it would be an understatement.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this or has any suggestions on what can be done about it. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Probably more suited to the ranting and raving forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1193

It would be(IMHO) likely to be something to do with two fines wines near each other, a young population and.......................the UNIVERSITY.

It would be like telling ducks to stay out of water.

Sorry for your troubles but unfortunately the council and the like would have a claim of malfeasance on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Furious_Daz

Ya thought as much myself. I didn't want to step on anyones toes and blame the students right off but I did notice a massive increase in the amount of glass on the roads after rag week this year. I know its not all students having been one myself until recently. Looks like its something I'll just have to put up with!

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Digi_Tilmitt

I've had 3 punctures in the last semester from smashed glass on the cycle lanes on the way to the University. It's a disgrace and there's no point in being politically correct about. The louts that call themselves students (before I get accused of blind labelling, I am also a student) are causing this problem during their drunken binges smashing bottles like savage barbarians all over the public infrastructure that the more civilised of us are trying to use everyday.

The only thing I can of that would solve this would be an increased garda presence in the area at night and a no tolerance policy in regards to the bottle wielding hooligans. But you'd probably have to arrest half the university if you went down that road, so I think we've no choice but to give up.

The root problem is Irish people, which can't be fixed without a dramatic and almost impossible change in the nature of the culture of Irish society.

Luckily I should be emigrating in a year or so, and hopefully will never be coming back.

I'll still have to carry the shame of being Irish wherever I go though. My own people sicken me.

I wouldn't go as far as demanding more gaurds in the area or anything like that. Having the council run one of those sweeper trucks over the bike lanes once a week would keep me happy! I do agree though that it is an attitude problem with some Irish people in these cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

I've had 3 punctures in the last semester from smashed glass on the cycle lanes on the way to the University. It's a disgrace and there's no point in being politically correct about. The louts that call themselves students (before I get accused of blind labelling, I am also a student) are causing this problem during their drunken binges smashing bottles like savage barbarians all over the public infrastructure that the more civilised of us are trying to use everyday.

The only thing I can of that would solve this would be an increased garda presence in the area at night and a no tolerance policy in regards to the bottle wielding hooligans. But you'd probably have to arrest half the university if you went down that road, so I think we've no choice but to give up.

The root problem is Irish people, which can't be fixed without a dramatic and almost impossible change in the nature of the culture of Irish society.

Luckily I should be emigrating in a year or so, and hopefully will never be coming back.

I'll still have to carry the shame of being Irish wherever I go though. My own people sicken me.

Is it lonely up there on your pedestal ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

1) Can you not steer your bike around the broken glass?

2) You want to guards to babysit drunk students? You know they're way too busy locking up people with no TV licence/car tax... :rolleyes:

Baldie wrote: »

There is a ton of glass on the roads so its impossible to steer around all of it. The rain also makes it very hard to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

A good practical tip would be to ensure that ur bike tyres are pumped up very hard at all times. You are much more likely to get a puncture if your tyres are only half or 3/4 inflated. Bike tyres can take a lot more pressure than we sometimes think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Its election time. Get complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Baldie wrote: »
    There is a ton of glass on the roads so its impossible to steer around all of it. The rain also makes it very hard to see.

Anyway, we would only knock him down if we were not prepared for his avoidance tactics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭fudgez

I walk... less stress and no punctures although i must admit every so often a stone gets in my shoe..... but hey thats just a fact of life like bikes getting punctures no point stressing

Chilll dude
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

One of the reasons for so much broken glass on cycle lanes is the cycle lane design.
    As cars do not drive on the cycle lane they do not push debris such as glass to the side. On a normal road cars and trucks would push debris off the road.
    In Europe a lot of cycle lanes are seperated fromthe main roads by grass margins. This keeps road debris from being blown onto cycle lanes as is the case in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Berty wrote: »
    Probably more suited to the ranting and raving forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1193

Cyclists are legally required to use cycle paths (when correctly signed). It's a perfectly reasonable to ask for advice on this issue...how exactly is this a rant??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

A lot of the cycle lanes in Limerick were obviously designed by someone who has never cycled around Limerick/someone who has a pathological hatred of cyclists/both.......

fudgez wrote: »
    I walk... less stress and no punctures although i must admit every so often a stone gets in my shoe..... but hey thats just a fact of life like bikes getting punctures no point stressing

Chilll dude
    :p

Getting a stone in your shoe doesn't make you 45 minutes late for work whenever it happens so not really the same thing.

One of the reasons for so much broken glass on cycle lanes is the cycle lane design.
    As cars do not drive on the cycle lane they do not push debris such as glass to the side. On a normal road cars and trucks would push debris off the road.
    In Europe a lot of cycle lanes are seperated fromthe main roads by grass margins. This keeps road debris from being blown onto cycle lanes as is the case in Ireland.

I never thought about that. There does seem to be less glass on the lanes seperated from the road. Still enough there to cause trouble though.

Thanks for the replies guys, think I might just corner any election candidates that come to my door about this issue and see where it gets me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

You have a cyle lane which you don't pay for (i.e. no motor tax). Is that not good enough for you? Do you also want tax money going to keep them 'clean'?

You have a cyle lane which you don't pay for (i.e. no motor tax). Is that not good enough for you? Do you also want tax money going to keep them 'clean'?

Just because we don't pay a specific 'cycle lane tax' doesn't mean that our tax money wasn't used in their construction so yes, the least that could be done is keeping them clean. Once a week or once a month with a road sweeper around the castletroy area would probably take an hour. Not much of your taxpayers money there...

I was appealing for Irish people to be more civilised and not smash bottles all over the place rather than requesting any government cleaning initiative, which shouldn't be necessary if Irish people were civilised.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Tockman

i use the cycle lanes on university road often and noticed that the council sweep it every monday. also dont bother using the cyclelane past the graveyard. might end up in there if i did

• Advertisement

Tockman wrote: »
    i use the cycle lanes on university road often and noticed that the council sweep it every monday. also dont bother using the cyclelane past the graveyard. might end up in there if i did

I cycle to work Monday to Friday and have never seen any sweepers in the area. I've also noticed the same smashed bottle on the side of the road on my route to work for the past 2 weeks. Maybe the university looks after the lanes on its property but the main roads are neglected as far as I can tell.

I was appealing for Irish people to be more civilised and not smash bottles all over the place rather than requesting any government cleaning initiative, which shouldn't be necessary if Irish people were civilised.

Every country has university students who smash bottles, its a fact of life.

His tax money pays for roads, cycle lanes and everything else. Get off your high horse about motor tax, it's not specifically used to build roads.

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone has noticed the amount of broken glass on the roads in and around the castletroy area? I drive to work in castletroy everyday and this is becoming an increasing problem. I've had 2 punctures in the past month and to say I'm pissed off about it would be an understatement.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this or has any suggestions on what can be done about it. Thanks!

I wonder how the thread would have gone if this was the first post....

Every country has university students who smash bottles, its a fact of life.

Having lived in Japan I can assure you there are no such problems there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭adaminho

You have a footpath which you don't pay motor tax for. I bet if it was filled with dog dirt and broken glass you'd want the council to clean it up!

Having lived in Japan I can assure you there are no such problems there.

So you can tell me for a fact that students in Japan dont get drunk and roam around at night? Get a grip.

So you can tell me for a fact that students in Japan dont get drunk and roam around at night? Get a grip.

Yes.

Advertisement