Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meetings to practice German

Options
  • 25-05-2009 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Due to the thread "Wie geht's" I just got this idea. Probably not new and maybe already tried but couldn't find it.
    As there are quite a lot of people with german here who just can't practice I was wondering if some are interested to meet say once or twice a month in a pub that is not too busy (but still nice ;)) just to talk in German?

I did this ages ago in Germany to improve my English and enjoyed it. And it definitely helped me to loose my fear of making mistakes and just practice talking. I found it much more important to talk and that the grammar comes with practice.
    I am from Germany, not a teacher and wouldn't be able to explain grammar rules but I am well able to say what's right and what's wrong;)

Anyone around Dublin interested in casual meetings?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Allgäuerin

Klasse Idee! Ich wär dabei. Bin deutsch und rede auch gerne deutsch!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

Sorry, I should have been more precise on this. I was thinking of any irish people that want to improve their german. What I did not have in mind is a group of say 10 germans with one irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Allgäuerin

Ok. Dann halt nicht. Dachte es wäre als deutsch-irischer Austausch auf deutsch gedacht. Aber wenn du keine anderen Deutschen neben dir haben willst! :(

Jayz. I didn't say I want to be the only german there. But first I just want to find out if there are people who would be intersted and don't have German as first language.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

This might be what you mean?

• Advertisement

Thanks. Yes that sounds like what I had in mind. So no need to set up another group. Thought by now anyway it's quite a stupid idea as it came from a native speaker. But it was based on the fact that it's good to have native speakers in those meet ups and they have judging by the names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭janullrich

The meet up is ok but it only happens once every month and costs 1 euro. I am on for meeting up and having a few drinks speaking English/German without paying any entrance fee! Btw am Irish but lived a few years in Deutschland.

Those costs I couldn't understand either and would prefer twice a month as otherwise the gap is to big especially if you miss a meeting. And depending on how it works out maybe even more often?
    Ok, let's see if there are more interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

I'd be interested in this. We could head along to a pub or something. Are there any German pubs here> The closest I can think of would be the Czech Inn!

I don't understand what the cost is either to be honest. I think it is the way meetups make their money. Have not a clue to be honest. Anyway I will get the ball rolling, how about next week, maybe Thursday week and meeting up over the beer. There are unfortunately no German bars in Dublin but the near neighbours the Czechs will do good.

PS Who is interested in meeting up for the cup final on Saturday night? Werder Bremen V Bayer Leverkusen. Would that be a better one to meet up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

janullrich wrote: »
    PS Who is interested in meeting up for the cup final on Saturday night? Werder Bremen V Bayer Leverkusen. Would that be a better one to meet up?
    That would be a great idea, but it clashes with the Ireland-Canada rugby match (kick off 10pm) so you might not get many pubs showing it

No it doesn't as the Pokal Finale starts at 7pm Irish time. Secondly only Murrays in O'Connell Street will be showing the match live.

:D I should have expected that this becomes a sports meet up;) I am not sure if I'll be in Dublin on Saturday though. And I haven't made it to the Czech Inn yet. So how about both? Sports without me on Saturday and again (if that's not too often for you) on Thursday say 7p.m.?

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

Natürlich gibt's Leute die Deutsch üben will. Ich bin auch Ire. Der Grund für die Abgabe von ein Euro bei Meetup ist das ein Webpage bei Meetup kostet Geld. Es gibt die Moglicheit zur Bibliothek um Donnerstag Abend ab 18.00 im Ilaczentrum aber leider die Mehrheit wollen nur auf English reden. Ich gehe lieber zur eine Treffung wo Man Deutsch sprechen will!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭sourwine

Did anyone mention the Czech Inn? :D

Think I might join yous next thursday then

Sounds like a start with at least five people if all of you can make it on the 4th. @craoltoir I take from your post you are interested:) And I promise we/I won't talk English unless we need it to understand what we are talking about.

Super. Wir sehen uns dann am 19Uhr nachsten Donnerstag. Wenn irgendjemand Lust hast am Samstag zu treffen, denn gib mir Bescheid.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

Werden Sie eine Deutsche Fanne auf dem Tisch haben oder was, am Donnerstag?

Ich besitze keine deutsche Fahne...Wenn jemand unsicher ist, wie wir uns finden, kann ich gerne meine Mobile Nummer per PN geben.

Nachsten Donnerstag werde ich den Deutschen Training Anzug (oberteil) und Trikot anziehen! Es waere einfach die ganze Gruppe zu erkennen.

• Advertisement

Ok, es ist Donnerstag...Hoffe, ich treffe einige von Euch heute abend um 7 im Czech Inn :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

I'd be up for this but... I can't really speak the german, well not in years.
    Hope this works out and might see youse when i'm up to speed :)

Well If you like come along today and just listen and see how it goes. A friend of mine will be there who says she won't be able to talk much as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

Something just came up at the last sec so I cant make tonight :(
    Will check back here though for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

hi, let us know how meeting went.

would be interested in future meetings but won't be around for
    a few weeks.

by the way was everyone there at 19Uhr punctually??:)

I went quite well, I think. Especially for a first meeting. It turned out everybody knew somebody anyway. Well it's Ireland;) And we were quite good in avoiding English.
    Most of us turned up at the same time around 5 past 7. So we weren't too bad.
    We haven't fixed a new date yet. I thought maybe on the 18th but that day I'll come back from Germany so wouldn't make it at 7 unless I come directly from the airport.
    But that's what boards is for, we can fix the date here.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

glad to hear meeting was a success.
    i'll keep a eye on this thread for next meeting.

question about time wasn't really in ernst, just checking
    the mix of people!!:) (stereotypes etc...)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Persius

Hallo

Habe den Thread erst jetzt gesehen. Schade dass ich den letzten Treff verpasst habe. Bin Ire, habe frueher in D gewohnt. Wuerde gern mein Deutsch wieder ueben. Bin auch naechste Woche weg aber waere gern beim naechsten Treff dabei.

I'll keep an eye on the thread when I get back and hope to see ye soon.

And is it true that everyone speaks english at the meet up in the Ilac Centre? I find it hard to make that one as it starts a bit early (18:00 - 20:00).

Maybe a little early, but like I said this Thursday doesn't really suit me so I'd suggest Thursday week (25th) for next meeting. 7p.m. and Czech Inn would be fine with me but if anyone prefers somewhere else...?
    Also if some like to meet already this week go ahead - only because I won't be able to be there doesn't mean it can't take place ;)

Edit\ I've never been to the Ilac meetings myself but some of those who came to the Czech Inn the other day used to go there and it seems as there are a lot of other nationalities going there now who don't speak German that's why they ended up talking English in the Ilac Centre.

• Advertisement

Thursday week suits me fine. The Czech Inn is also fine. To be honest the Ilac Centre used to be good until these new people came about. There should be a rule that anybody who does have no interest in speaking German or learning the language should not be allowed to join the session. Unfortunately decent Germans have also left because of this. I have no problem telling people where to go if they expect a conversation only in English.

Advertisement