Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I cancel my cursed O2 broadband??

Options
  • 25-05-2009 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭

Hey all

So i have O2 broadband. Got it back in August. Used to work ok, not great but i was only paying 20euro a month on the cheaper modem so was happy with it - it did the job.

Well now I don't know what's happened, but it barely works. Sometimes it doesn't connect, it is EXTREMELY slow which kills me, so frustrating, and I don't really bother using it anymore.

Also I have of course rang loads of times, they have taken my modem number, asked me to reboot and do loads of things and still nada.

So my question is this:

Can I cancel and not have loads of repurcussions about the 'contract'? Surely the contract (which is up in August) is null and void if they are not providing me with the service that I am paying for?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

You have a contract, they deliver a service to you even if it is slow,; hence es, you will have problems trying to breaking it early. You only have 2 months to go, get on the support instead to get it to work, it will take a lot less hassle then trying to prove a failure of delivery on the contract for 2 months (40 EUR) worth of service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

I know, and I knew I would get some responses like this.

However, I want my broadband to work! And the only way I can do this is to switch because as you can see from my OP I have been down the support route for the last 2 months.

It's just frustrating that you are tied into a contract for terrible service. I could switch now but I'd end up paying double for the next 2 months, and I know it's only 40euro but it's MY 40euro and why should I pay them for terrible service??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

I've been using one of them since last September, got the student deal of €13 a month when I went back to college. Never really had any real trouble with it.

Have you tried it on a different machine? I use mine on my and my girlfriend's laptops regularly as well as occasionally on friend's machines, always worked fine.

As for cancelling it. I think you're stuck in a 12 month contract, contact them after 11 months though, you might have to give them 30 days notice or something. I got caught by Meteor earlier this year when I was waiting for my phone contract to expire.

Kimia wrote: »
    I know, and I knew I would get some responses like this.

However, I want my broadband to work! And the only way I can do this is to switch because as you can see from my OP I have been down the support route for the last 2 months.

It's just frustrating that you are tied into a contract for terrible service. I could switch now but I'd end up paying double for the next 2 months, and I know it's only 40euro but it's MY 40euro and why should I pay them for terrible service??

what part of the country are you in? That could affect your reception too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

In Dublin so don't understand why its bad. South county suburb.

I don't have another machine to try it on.

It's just outrageous how you can get sucked into a year long contract which is crap and doesn't deliver, yet you are forced to stay with it. I am fulfilling my side of the bargain and they are not.

• Advertisement

You could try citizen's information and ask them, there's some law about stuff not meeting the purpose of which it was sold, I just can't remember the exact wording of it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

This is NOT a legal opinion.

This has the essence of a fundamental breach of contract.

You furnished consideration in the form of a subscription. The consideration that they are required to deliver, under contract, is whatever level of service that they promised.

Strictly speaking, they have furnished partial consideration in that they have given you an element of what you were promised, miserably poor as it has been. However, such is the degree of unsatisfactory service that I would not concede this point to them.

I would ask O2 for a full refund of my money on the grounds that there has been a total failure of consideration on their part and that there has been a complete breach of contract.

I would ask Os to refund my subscription in full with no further discussion or delay and threaten to issue proceedings against them in the Small Claims Court. Set them a time limit of about four weeks to meet your demand and then do them in the Small Claims Court with no further notice if they do not comply.

This standard of service is woeful and should not be tolerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,184 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

How often can you not connect?

Either way what ever the terms of the o2 contract, it is up to them to put it right, you have to give them the opportunity to this before you can go any further, which you have, so you have excellent case for termination of contract and quite possibilty a refund.

Give this crowd a ring Tel:
    (01) 402 5555

National Consumer Agency, they should set you straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

OP, have o2 gotten the site checked? way it works on a contract is if a ticket is logged with their tech team and they come back saying the site is unable to provide adequate coverage/is a black spot/ has heavy congestion that wont get any better etc etc they'll void the contract, ring o2 and ask them to do this if you havent already ,if not a word with a supervisor might yield results if you've explained you've been without service for a while, going down the consumer advice route will take longer tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

Hey op, might be good to try a thread on the o2 forum aswell. They seem to get people sorted and have seen one of their mods here helping people too. worth a shot IMO

http://forums.o2online.ie/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Im on the 20 euro plan aswell. Just check with o2 coz my contract is for 18months, so you may not be finished in august.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Khanis

Recon wrote: »
    As for cancelling it. I think you're stuck in a 12 month contract, contact them after 11 months though, you might have to give them 30 days notice or something. I got caught by Meteor earlier this year when I was waiting for my phone contract to expire.

This thread may be relevant

Advertisement