Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

orchid hunting

• 25-05-2009 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

This is a bit of a longshot, but does anyone have any ideas for good spots for hunting for terrestrial orchids, particularly in Munster? Or if anyone can point me in the direction of any information, that would be great.

Thanks a million.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

What does "terrrestial orchids" mean?

sorry, that looks a bit rude. I just don't understand the question.

I was at an orchid talk on Friday night, given by an expert, Brendan Sayers and, if you mean Irish orchids, I would recommend using the Habitas site for location. Early purples are in flower in coastal Donegal at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ionracas

Terrestrial orchids are just orchids growing in the earth rather than in trees, Irish orchids are terrestrial so I guess that was a bit redundant.

Thanks for your help, googled Habitas and found a bit of info there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

I know a few spots near Ballyvaughan in Clare where there are bee orchids. I believe these are common though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

i have orchids here in mayo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 salmon7

When you return from your orchid spotting and are sitting comfortably, enjoying a delicious creme brulee for dessert ( complete with vanilla seeds), impress your mates by revealing that Vanilla pods come from orchids.:D
    I'm sure that the Burren in Clare has a comprehensive guide to orchids.
    Hope thats of help to you if not some lighthearted amusement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Actually I was completely wrong. This is a bee orchid
    ophrys_apifera_b2d.jpg
    Which is seen in June/July.
    The flower I saw was this
    P9270010.JPG
    Seen in October in the Burren. Any ideas what this is?*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

salmon7 wrote: »
    When you return from your orchid spotting and are sitting comfortably, enjoying a delicious creme brulee for dessert ( complete with vanilla seeds), impress your mates by revealing that Vanilla pods come from orchids.:D
    I'm sure that the Burren in Clare has a comprehensive guide to orchids.
    Hope thats of help to you if not some lighthearted amusement.
    gosh i didnt know that .

the plant above, mistaken for a bee orchid is actually an invasive alien called Himalayan Balsam., a member of the impatiens family. Great fun to pop the pods and smells heavenly.

Has anyone seen any true Bee Orchids this year?
    Are they late?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

My Parents have bee orchids and common orchids on the lawn in their garden in Co.Clare nearly every year. No bee orchids yet!
    Must post some pictures . We have visitors who were just amazed to see the bee orchids on their drive way :)

You should find plenty of orchids in Keelhilla between Carran in Co Clare and Kinvara in Co Galway. It lies just under Slieve Carran and yu should see quite a few orchids on the rocks here.
    http://www.burrenperfumery.com/photographs/set01/slievecarran.html
    http://www.burrenbeo.com/burren-flora-overview.aspx?objID=Article

By the way there is an excellent little book of the orchids of The Burren. I have it somewhere and when I find it I will post the details. I'm sure you will get it in a good bookshop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭skydancer

Rathlin Island, Co Antrim is a great place for orchids (and not just the more common ones) ... and wildlife generally (hares, puffins, buzzards, choughs, seals)
    :)

http://www.walkni.com/Walk.aspx?ID=340

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Saw some lovely Lesser Butterfly orchids on some cut-away bog near Lullymore Co. Kildare on Thurday last:)

This is meant to be a good year for orchids. I saw a magnificent meadow full of a common one, whose name escapes me, above the Lagan at Shaw's bridge, Belfast, yesterday, Sunday.
    Wonderful. Had no camera, sadly.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

The only ones I am familiar with are the pale pink ones you see in bogland (lesser butterfly orchid) and the deep pink/purple ones that grow on banks and along ditches (early purple orchid) and I have seen the white (rare lesser butterfly orchid).

Don't know any other ones I'm afraid.:confused:

there's a Lesser Butterfly Orchid on this site, Sheskinmore flora and fauna,
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/689152@N24/

showing the parallel pollinia which distinguish it from the Greater version.
    Buttterfly orchids and their pollination by moths was a special interest of Charles Darwin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Last Saturdays Irish Times had something on orchids... I went to look for it last night but the paper went the way of all recycleable material early :p!

It may have been the Viney column...

oh, it was in the Viney column last year that I first read about Darwin and the Butterfly orchids. I even went about trying to measure the sticking out bits at the back of the orchid flowers, without much accuracy, I am afraid.

Advertisement