Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen counter problem

Options
  • 25-05-2009 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

I am building a new kitchen, have all the units in etc, but the counter-top is too short...
    It's an "L" shape kitchen, and one length of it is 3650mm - the counter is 3000mm long, so even with the 600mm width of the other counter-top. I am still going to be 150mm short.
    Obviously, it would look neater without having a join in the long side, so does anybody have any ideas as to how can I fix this without it looking messy? Or is it just a case of putting a join in the long side?

ps - hope I'm explaining it ok!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

no not explained great
    put a join in the long side

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭darrenon

endasmail wrote: »
    no not explained great
    put a join in the long side

makes sense to me:eek: not much you can do!!! either join it or make one of the units smaller!! then you'll probably need a new door but that might work out cheeper than another lenght of work top!!
    or else you could try granite or cheaper corian.
    they both have almost invisible joints;), but might be expensive:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭fm

maybe too late now but you can get tops 4.1m long and even some as long as 5.5m-all laminate.granite only comes in 3metre lengths usually

darrenon wrote: »
    makes sense to me:eek: not much you can do!!! either join it or make one of the units smaller!! then you'll probably need a new door but that might work out cheeper than another lenght of work top!!
    or else you could try granite or cheaper corian.
    they both have almost invisible joints;), but might be expensive:(:(

granite doesnt have invisible joints and corian aint cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭darrenon

fm wrote: »
    granite doesnt have invisible joints and corian aint cheaper

almost invisible jointswink.gif, but might be expensivefrown.giffrown.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Could you consider doing some small part of the long counter in a laminated beech as a chopping block, making a feature out of it and allowing you to break the counter into more manageable lengths?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Thank you all for your replies.

I already have the worktop bought. It is a laminate worktop.

I have attached a document with a plan drawing (constructed on Word drawing so please excuse!) and also a photo to highlight the area I mean.

I now realise that I will need a join in the long side - can somebody recommend where the join would be best? And also the neatest way to get this joint ? A simple metallic joining strip?

I could alternatively return one of the 3m lengths and get a 3.6m length which would solve the problem, but I would probably have to wait another 6 weeks or so. Would I be mad not just waiting another 6 weeks for it?

Again, I appreciate all your replies.

Could you consider doing some small part of the long counter in a laminated beech as a chopping block, making a feature out of it and allowing you to break the counter into more manageable lengths?

This is something to consider. Cheers!;)

you could put the joint under the hob if you had enough w top.less of the joint would be seen but would have to use waterproof glue to stop water getting in.

Have decided to get a longer length.
    Wont have it until mid-July, but she's waited this long so a few more weeks won't matter!

Thanks again for your help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Was going to pose a similar question but have got my answers now. Thanks.

Glad to be of assistance:D!!

Advertisement