Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help running a multigaming org.

Options
  • 25-05-2009 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭

A slightly ambitious mate of mine decided he wanted to start up a multigaming organization, with the works. Why, I don't know. The website and forum's done but there's so much more to do-- article writing, game reviews, just general website updates, finding sponsors, setting up gameservers, vent servers, etc. I've helped him out as much as I can but there's not enough hours in a day.

I have a lot of experience running competitive teams as well as pub clans, as does he, but nothing even remotely close to a big multigaming org. But, I need a project, so does he, and we want to do it right. We both love gaming enough to make this work.

The games involved are mostly FPS + 1 RTS at the moment, and other games will probably be added as time goes on. CoD4, CoDWaW, CoH, CS:S, DoD:S, F2:PO, L4D, TF2, RO, WiC are all on the docket (and probably something I've forgotten).

If anyone has experience with any of this stuff (gaming in general, writing stuff up, working with html/php etc.) or wants to help us in any way, shape or form, please drop me a PM. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Note that we've no means of payment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Ok, you're your work cut out for you but it's not impossible. You've got the games you want to represent in so that's a start.

Do you want a multinational team?
    Do you want a multi format team? (pc/ps3/xbox 360/wii)
    What competitions do I want them to compete in?
    What can I offer any person/team that signs up? (servers/ventrilo/lan fees/travel)
    How am I going to recruit? (threads on enemy down or SGL might be a start)

The last question is, why would somebody want to join your organisation? If you can't answer that question, then you can't expect people to want to join.

I'd probably start off with 1-3 games. COD4, TF2 & CSS are probably your best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Yeah, we'd want it to be multinational. PC only though, adding a billion consoles would only make it more confusing. Competitions are to be decided, CAL for North America is one but I don't know much about the Euro scene outside of ESL/ED so I'd have to look into that (our history is in NA). What we can offer is pending what sponsors we can dig up. Early stages yet.

Recruitment will start once we've got some kind of backing regarding website stuff because right now it's a bit much. Rather get a solid "staff" before we fully open it for games. After that we'll start posting "official" threads on the competitive sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

There's no real need to go looking for more staff. You need to go pick up a team or 2 and get them playing straight away. Sponsors won't give you anything if all you have is a website and staff. They're looking for results & competition performance. Without a roster, you've nothing more then an empty website.

Get a server, ventrilo & get recruiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

As Kinetic said, get the team, vent, website up and the rest will follow. Yes there is a lot to do but at least you are aware of that from the start. You are very unlikely to get sponsors without results (or a reputation).

Would start it small but pick games which can get you maximum exposure - online leagues/tournaments, local LANs (and of course not so local). All teams will want something as a tradeoff. LAN support for example.

Also, as Kinetic said (copy & paste would be easier...) you dont really need a staff list. That is one of the things that can follow.

Research the scenes - NA, despite knowing it, may not be the best. Honestly, wouldn't bother with an RTS unless you can grab a player with Chinese or Korean blood. If you want to pick an individual game go for something like QuakeLive (past records are there from Q3 to show what you may be getting into) - the game is only going to get bigger as time goes on and they add the requested tournament features.

But again, to be able to attract players you need to have stuff to offer (which is going to be more difficult 'in the current economic climate'). As you are familiar with the NA scene, look at the story of old compLexity who, despite being there or there-abouts, were unable to pick up sponsors and were financed hugely by Jason Lake.

Hmmm...didn't mean to be a buzzkill but it's food for thought :)
    Random pimpage - eSports.ie is another site for seeing results and finding upcoming events (calendar) :p

Good luck!

🤪

Advertisement