Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning and Environmental Management

Options
  • 25-05-2009 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Thinking of going into The Planning and Environmental Management course in D.I.T at an Advanced entry level. Ive already got a Degree in Civil Engineering.

Does anyone know what the course is like?
    Is there many carrear prospects after qualifying? :confused:
    What year of Entry would i be expected to enter?

If anyone could answer Any of these questions i greatly appreciate it!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭tennessee time

graduated in may 08, really enjoyed the course, zhivago building is a bit **** though, course is improving every year though and is the only undergraduate course in planning that is accredited by the IPI

not sure what year you would enter at, id recommend third year if there is a choice, trip to amsterdam = unbelievable week

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭pipelaser

Thanks Tennessee time,
    Just wondering if in the current climate there would be any chance of a job in Planning or environmental management. Would it be worth it from that point of view?

to be honest its a brutal time for planners, several got laid off from kildare county council lately and the private sector is getting decimated as well. we are competing for graduate positions against people with two or three years experience as well , on the environment side things look a bit more positive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭sarahirl

well i just finished the course and when i started we were being almost guaranteed jobs. most companies are looking for people with experience, so that counts most graduates out. alot of jobs in the environmental sector are unadvertised so if u get in with a consultancy doing g dogsbody work (waste characterisation, bin tagging, etc) then u've a good chance they'll keep giving u work as it costs more to put new people on the books. also if ur doing environmental management ud really want to have a REAL INTEREST in the environment as u need to practice what u preach. any other questions let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭FeistyOneYouAre

there is gonna be alot of environmental jobs in the ESB in the next few years. and the way the world is goin there should be alot more environmental jobs on the way!

• Advertisement

one other thing - i thought the mental planning soc was brilliant and organised some class events like the fancy dress luas pub crawl, the 5 a side soccer tournaments and the awards nites

Advertisement