Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinks license for marquee?

Options
  • 25-05-2009 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I'm hoping to have a marquee wedding, but we want to run our own bar as we have contacts with a drinks supplier. What are the licensing laws surrounding this? Do we need to get a temporary license (if indeed such a thing exists) and how do I go about it?

We have looked into getting a portable bar company in, and would rather not go down that road. Our last resort is to run a free bar, but any other suggestions would be very welcome!

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If the marquee is on your own property and not charging, there shouldn't be a licencing problem (drinking and financial cost is another matter) - its just a big party.

If you are charging, then you might need a temporary licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Lori074

sue denim wrote: »
    I'm hoping to have a marquee wedding, but we want to run our own bar as we have contacts with a drinks supplier. What are the licensing laws surrounding this? Do we need to get a temporary license (if indeed such a thing exists) and how do I go about it?

We have looked into getting a portable bar company in, and would rather not go down that road. Our last resort is to run a free bar, but any other suggestions would be very welcome!

Thanks guys.

hi just wondering did u get married and use a marquee? i am thinking of getting one for next year was just wondering how it went 4 u?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭fruitandnut

hi, just wondering if you were able to get any more info on a 'temporary drinks license'? not very many people seem to know how to get around this! or who would know! would be great to hear if you've found out what you need to

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭tattykitty

Friends of ours recently had a marquee reception and to get around the licence laws they basically sold poker chips, which could then be exchanged at the bar for booze...not sure how it came to that, but presumably there was a loophole that made it legal...

thanks for that tattykitty, that was kinda my thinking on it, just hadnt thought of poker chips! but something else to exchange for money, and then exchange that for drink! thats 1 option. we are looking at the other route at the moment. we have a solicitor looking into it but i think the only way to get a license is to ask a publican to apply for it for you! but that may bring its on complications!!! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭DO0GLE

but i think the only way to get a license is to ask a publican to apply for it for you! but that may bring its on complications!!! :confused:

The publican (or anybody) has to buy a license which costs tens of thousands. I think to transfer a license to a marquee would have to go before a court and I don't think that there are too many publicans out there who would be prepared to close their premises to run a wedding marquee (one license; one bar). Problem is with the sale of alcohol. Probably too much hassle.

Maybe you could provide the drink yourself and collect say €2 per drink with all proceeds going to charity. This would stop people abusing the free drink on offer.

nice idea but i'm not made of money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jamieboy

nice idea but i'm not made of money!
    Local publicans usually will do the bar for you,but might not be a 100% legal as regards the licence.Know someone who operates in the south east who dosen't charge for the bar at all.happilly pass on details if you like.There are a few ways around it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

we used www.eventbars.ie and they basically sorted everything out for us- was really hassle free and they built a beautiful wooden bar in the marquee- it was just like a pub. They do a cash bar or the poker chip thing.

Advertisement