Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zimmermann

Options
  • 25-05-2009 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Has anyone heard of the 'Zimmermann'? It's German for 'carpenter'.

Traditionally German masons/carpenters wear a costume or uniform which is a black suit with buckles and silver/brass buttons, and a bowler type hat. They used to travel for a few years after they achieve their 'meister' (or trade). They would work in exchange for food and board and they have to walk everywhere as part of tradition. I've heard they are excellent craftsmen.

I don't know if they still do this today but I do know that I have seen them, in Ireland, walking down the street of a country town, on two occasions.

Does anyone know if they still work in exchange for food and board? If so would you have any idea how I can find out about getting one of these guys? Google has not been of any help!!

I'm not 100% sure about any of this, is there is anyone out there who is more informed?

Thanks!

Advertisement